Big Creek

• zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

got out on Big Creek on Friday afternoon. What a great day to be on the water. We started in the lost lake area and we were marking fish in 22 feet of water. The crappies were suspended about 7 feet down. We caught 8 nice crappies and called it a day. The water temp is just under 40 degrees. A couple more degrees and the crappies will move shallow. Can’t wait. Hope to see you on the water.

JKwildhunting
    somewhere lost in Iowa

GOOD JOB ZAMER
    went their today and got skunked

saw some people fishing more people shore fishing but no body was reeling in fish. WIND DIDNT HELP EITHER

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Thanks for the report Zamer! Live bait or jigs? (or both?)

Have the Powers That Be granted our wish for a Saylorville/Big Creek forum?

Thanks,
    Dave

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I put out a bobber with minnow while throwing jigs also. Caught all the fish on minnows, had a couple of bites with jigs but they were not aggressive enough to take em. I haven’t heard from James yet on the Saylorville/Big Creek forums yet. I imagine he is busy guiding. I’ll keep after it.

JKwildhunting
    somewhere lost in Iowa

Zamer
    If we get the weather they are talking about like in the 60’s will the fish be more active? Will the water temp rise a lot? Will fish start moving toward shore?
    Thanks
    JK

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

Once the water temps move into the mid 40 degrees the fish will move tight to the bank (1-2 ft). This usually lasts about a week or two and then they will move back out to structure. The water temp is currently 39-40 degrees. The shallow coves and bays will warm up quicker than other areas. The north end of the lake is shallower than the south end so start in that area. The west arm is another great area. The key is to keep moving if your not on fish.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.