Big Swan and Arvilla Lakes near Kingston MN

• smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Looking to head out to Big Swan and /or Arvilla Lake(s) near Kingston, MN this weekend. Looking for any info any fellow IDOer’s would be willing to pass on publicly or via PM in order to get started as I’ve never been on either body of water. Species of interest – Walleye, Crappie, Catfish.
    TIA
    Smokin’

likes2fish

Arville Lake had a moderate winterkill in the 2013-2014 winter according to the DNR site. I seen quite a few dead fish that spring, mainly rough fish, with a few gamefish mixed in as well. They did a winterkill assessment and still caught some crappies, perch, pike, and 1 walleye. It may be worth a look again with some survivors. I haven’t fished Big Swan for a few years but have heard people catch some crappies and walleyes out there during the winter. I would say Big Swan would be your better bet of the two to get on some fish.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

How did you ID the 2013-2014 winterkill info? The latest info that I saw on Lakefinder was from 2009.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Where did you find the winterkill info. I didn’t see anything more recent that 2009 on Lakefinder.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Big swan can be good for crappies and sunnies. Also have herd good northern size, I believe it has special regs for pike. As likes2fish said it does kick out some walleye but I personally have not fished for eyes out of there. If you do fish swan do not travel the narrows betwen the two sides of the lake. I herd that the DNR put in another access on the north end of lake, otherwise the only access is on south side of lake.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

We went, but with the temps hovering around zero, and the barometer and winds on the rise it was a tough day to try a new lake. WE’ll give it another shot one day when conditions are a little better….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.