BIG drone in southwest Minnetonka

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

At 1:24 this afternoon a big drone flew over my backyard and hovered, went a few houses away, then came back and hovered before leaving from whence it came which was from the east. It always stayed above the tree tops. This was near highway 7 and county road 101. I estimated the distance between adjacent rotors to be 8 feet. Kinda spooky.
    Any commercial drones operating around the metro?

Attachments:
    1. big-drone.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Pizza delivery? LOL

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Get any hail lately? Someplaces are using them for initial inspections.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

No hail. It didn’t hover over any houses. Wouldn’t need a drone that big for a roof inspection.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

What are the rules about shooting at one of those things? If it’s hovering over your yard, can you throw some #4 shot at it?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What are the rules about shooting at one of those things? If it’s hovering over your yard, can you throw some #4 shot at it?

Negative, especially when blasting in the Minnetonka neighborhood

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Don’t quote me on this but I believe the penalties are extremely severe. It’s treated as an aircraft and a federal crime

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Police are using drones a lot more these days as well. I haven’t seen any using any that big though. You could call the city and see if they contracted someone or had a project that needed something like that.

Deuces

Folks are contracting these things for pics imo. Personal use, business, realtors, surveyors, etc. Pretty cool shots they get.

Personally one shows up above me I’d be tempted to give em a helicopter show of my own…

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Tax assessments? I believe commercial uses need to file a flight plan as well so you may be able to find out who and what they were doing.

Coletrain27

It was probably the police taking a peak at your 8’ tall marijuana plants in your back yard

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I did call the police non-emergency number and they had a patrol unit call me. I texted him the video. He said some nearby police depts. use them but Tonka doesn’t, plus police drones aren’t that big.
    Nothing illegal in my backyard. If there was an 8 footer, they could see it from the street. lol

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’ve had them follow me while fishing. They were very close. I almost got one of them with a rapala. Missed it by a couple inches. Then it stayed out of casting distance but was there quite awhile. I’d have zero problem shooting a drone harrasing me while fishing.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I heard the FBI finally had a good lead on the Cocaine left in the White House. Probably following up on that…..
    whistling

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I heard the FBI finally had a good lead on the Cocaine left in the White House. Probably following up on that…..
    whistling

Negative, not on their ” approved investigation ” list ….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I did call the police non-emergency number and they had a patrol unit call me. I texted him the video. He said some nearby police depts. use them but Tonka doesn’t, plus police drones aren’t that big.
    Nothing illegal in my backyard. If there was an 8 footer, they could see it from the street. lol

Your good, in a week you can have 8 of those 8footers.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My realtor has a drone that he uses to take photos of homes that are for sale. I haven’t personally seen it so I don’t know how big it is, but aerial photos not only showing the house but the neighborhood as a whole are useful online.

There are specific restrictions with drones in terms of air space near an airport and they are very strict about it. Otherwise they can fly wherever they want to including above your house, boat, tree stand, cabin, shed, farm, etc. Its more or less like a low flying helicopter and I wouldn’t shoot one of those down.

Here are the rules about drones in MN. Didn’t realize there were 375 public or private airports just in this state that are considered restricted airspace. They consider hospital helipads to be restricted airspace. The last sentence reads “Finally, although in most cases there is no legal requirement to obtain permission from a landowner before flying over his or her property, getting permission before flying may prevent many conflicts.

Harassing an angler or hunter is definitely against state law. Whether a drone flying overhead a certain distance away is considered harassment is probably subjective. But a drone following you around while fishing and buzzing right above your head while you’re sitting in a deer stand for an extended period of time would likely fall into the harassment category.

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/drones/modelaircraft.html

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I’ve had them follow me while fishing. They were very close. I almost got one of them with a rapala. Missed it by a couple inches. Then it stayed out of casting distance but was there quite awhile. I’d have zero problem shooting a drone harrasing me while fishing.

I did a quick search for large drones and see they are north of $20K. I wonder what the repercussions would be if one hit a drone with lure. I am sure it would go down if the line got tangled in the blades or be one heck of a fight.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

I did a quick search for large drones and see they are north of $20K. I wonder what the repercussions would be if one hit a drone with lure. I am sure it would go down if the line got tangled in the blades or be one heck of a fight.

It was a bad cast.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

Common sense would say that the drone was clearly operating to close to the person. And the operator is at fault. Unfortunately that doesn’t mean squat anymore. There’s no right to privacy anymore. People will mind their own business during a crime right in front of them, but also want the right to fly drones right on top their neighbor.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The FAA has rules that limit how private citizens can use their drones. For instance, it is illegal to take photos of or record videos of people, particularly if they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Therefore, you need to get permission from your neighbor to photograph them in any way.

deertracker

Police are using drones a lot more these days as well.

Unless under a few specific circumstances, LE need a warrant to fly a drone over a house. waytogo
    DT

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

One could make a sign that says “do you want to play a game? Fly closer and I will try to hit you with my lure.” Then it’s game on. mrgreen It would be fun to cast into one. I think I just have to yell “it’s coming right for us!”

Red Eye

Maybe your life was in danger and you were defending yourself. I’ve seen footage of drones dropping grenades in Ukraine. You never know.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It was a bad cast.

No different than if your Bad cast damaged a homeowners property. You are still responsible for the damage. Sucks but the law is the law.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Marijuana plants can grow 8 feet tall??

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Marijuana plants can grow 8 feet tall??

Up to 18 to 20 ft tall in the correct setting. Average is 6 to 8 ft tall. Most the plants I see grown at homes are 6 to 7 ft.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Hahaha damn I learned a whole hell of a lot this thread. Pot plants the size of christmas trees, who knew?

MX1825

This kind of comes under the Wyoming 4 corners trespass case. Crossing on a ladder was not considered trespassing. The ranch owner was claiming it was a trespassing violation in HIS air space. Court said he didn’t own the air space.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.