Big Brother is watching

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

This morning I sent my wife a text asking if a certain package had been delivered yet. I knew it was coming UPS but didn’t know when. 5 minutes ago a box on my HP computer pops up stating it can help with locating a package delivery. shock Ok, the phones are apple on AT&T service. Like I said the PC is a Hewlett Packard. This crap is scary and makes me think somebody knows every little move or thought we have. If these machines are so damn smart why don’t they spit out the winning Powerball numbers for me? frown

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

are you sure you didn’t visit any shipping sites on your computer recently? it seems more likely that cashed internet search is responsible for the pop up rather than some sort of communication between your phone and your laptop. Its also possible that if you searched something on the web on your phone that it would cashe, through being signed into say Gmail, onto your web browser onto your laptop. To my knowledge, (conspiracy theories aside), information is not typically passed from your text messages to other devices, but I don’t know everything

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

If that scares you, you probably shouldn’t watch the movie Snowden.

frank z

Your right big brother is watching seen it on the news the other day.Computer generated not a human.They said you need to turn off the mic on your phone.This is getting out of hand.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

oh but to your point yeah it is creepy as hell. I work in IT and I still find this stuff startling and disturbing

big_g
    Isle, MN

and no the agent Orange is safe. trust us, were the gubnet.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If they want to spy on me they would get awful bored unless they like sophomoric humor. rotflol

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have the answer…

Attachments:
    1. I-am-not-saying.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And the gubment telling me I should be worried about Russia. rotflol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

It was zi Russians. They don’t like the Dutch

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’m from the government and I’m here to help you. Yea right.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Dutch, my laptop is a HP also and I am running windows 10 so I have that cortana assistant. I just did an update and afterwards got a pop up from her saying almost the same, “Got a package on the way? I can tell you when your packages are about to be delivered”. Since I read this earlier I clicked on it to see what it was all about. Looks like you can enter a shipping number into cortana and it will automatically track it and provide you with updates.

I can see why it would be freaky as you had just been talking about a package being delivered. I don’t have anything shipping and haven’t “talked” about it anytime recently…besides searching through cabelas for gear yesterday..
    Since I go it too, it seems like one of those “helpful” assistant functions randomly being promoted. Very strange coincidence?

Or maybe they are tracking me also and knew I read this thread earlier shock

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well big brother isn’t hearing me!

I’m looking and found a shower faucet and after I buy one, they start showing up on my sidebar.

Seems like every time I buy something the ads start coming in. Just now the extra large condom ads are popping up.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

What I don’t like is when my browsing habits for my work email and personal email accounts cross-reference eachother. They’re both Gmail accounts. I’ll be screwing around on my phone on my personal Gmail account and I’ll get ad’s for work related stuff I checked out at work earlier that day. I guess that also means that my work account is connected somehow to my personal account.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wish my tv would listen so I would see more fishing adds and less feminine hygiene products. Wait,

Didn’t you people ever watch shows like the Jetsons and other show about the future where everything was automated? It’s to make your life easier, embrace it. Well make your life easier or to sell you crap.

A lot of ads on the computer have a tiny little button on them so you can adjust what category of ads you prefer.

loonswail
    Ankeny, IA

It IS very scary if you think about it. They have the ways and means to read the fine print on your beer/soda can when you’re out and about chasin fish with your boat.
    Maybe it’s not GMail(Google) but GMail(Govmt)lol. It’s all just too mind boggling to fully grasp. Tread lightly……

big_g
    Isle, MN

Well big brother isn’t hearing me!

I’m looking and found a shower faucet and after I buy one, they start showing up on my sidebar.

Seems like every time I buy something the ads start coming in. Just now the extra large condom ads are popping up.

jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester
    jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester
    jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester
    jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester jester

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The ones that have surprised me lately is plane tickets being forwarded to me Gmail… And then they show up in my phone calendar with exact flight times and such… No email safe either apparently!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“Seems like every time I buy something the ads start coming in. Just now the extra large condom ads are popping up.”

I can think of at least two things wrong with that statement.

SR

FryDog62

It’s not just the gubberment, companies are all over this… most common buzz words in board rooms today are Analytics, big data, digital strategy and internet security.

There is constant gathering of data on everything we do, watch, buy, etc. They hope to outsmart is at our own tendencies… and refer to us as “Pavlov’s Dogs.” We are a predictable species in many respects, and how can they capitalize on it,

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I just realized that IDO is spying on me too. I’ve been talking to buddies about ice fishing and all I see here is add for ice fishing gear. whistling

I kid. I know James doesn’t intentionally allow those types of tracking adds here.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

These are called sympathy ads.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I’m not a conspiracy guy AT ALL. But this I do believe. This stuff happens to me ALL the time.

Most recently a co-worker walked into my office and we were BS’ing. I told him a story of a buddy when he was tubing down the Apple River. Not more than 10 minutes later I see an add for the Apple River pop up in my FB newsfeed. Now, I didn’t type anything into my computer OR google anything at all regarding the topic, just a face to face conversation. And that was the first time I even thought of the Apple River in years. Tell me that’s a coincidence? No way.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I know that Gmail scans your emails looking for keywords.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The ones that have surprised me lately is plane tickets being forwarded to me Gmail… And then they show up in my phone calendar with exact flight times and such… No email safe either apparently!

There is probably a way to turn it off. I happen to love how Google’s algorithms can track packages and flights for me. It’s very convenient, especially when people are flying in and they pass along their flight info. In my email I get a nice, clean easy to read card with all the info about the flight, including the status.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.