Big Brother is watching

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Not more than 10 minutes later I see an add for the Apple River pop up in my FB newsfeed.

Hmm, I might have to look into this. I’m all in with Google, but I don’t trust Facebook. One of the most annoying things with Facebook on your phone now is how if you click an external link to a website and it pulls it up in Facebook’s browser, you scroll and a damn Congratulations! you won a Walmart gift card or other dumb “lucky winner” ad comes up. It’s really annoying, especially because you have to back out 2 times and go back into the link. Another new annoying Facebook phone app thing is when you go to a Facebook page or Group, it now redirects you in the app instead of going directly to it. This again means if I want to go back to the previous screen, like my feed, I have to hit back 2 times.

Mark Zucker is a Himick.

Matt BigGill you can have my Facebook account.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

a lot of people seem ticked off that their technology does what it was designed to do. if it bothered you that badly you’d find a way to live without that technology, or at least familiarize yourself with the technology so you can change settings and disable features that make you uncomfortable.

instead you’re using the same device and network that you distrust to push conspiracy theories.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Full Disclosure

Attachments:
    1. guide.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This crap is scary and makes me think somebody knows every little move or thought we have.

I have some good news for you. I checked in with Big Brother and he said he actually WAS watching your every move.

But then he got bored and quit because–no offense–you just weren’t that interesting.

By the way, he said that your shipment of Buck Naked underwear from Duluth Trading Company should be there by now and hopefully that clears up that chaffing issue you’ve been having. Oh, and you need to see a doctor about that other rash thing because that’s just nasty.

So there you go. Big Brother is NOT spying on you (anymore). Maybe get a twitter account and buy some electrical components and a potato peeler on eBay and raise your profile a little>

Grouse

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a friend that worked for Google, and now Facebook, marketing. She was adamant that they don’t listen in, they just utilize everything you look at or click on, and their algorithms are so advanced they can predict what else you are going to look at or talk about. And any coincidence in an offline convo is just that a coincidence. However, if they were listening in, would they admit it (tin foil emoji)? Also, we all know the gubment is listening in reading texts/emails, and no one cares…

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I’m not a conspiracy guy AT ALL. But this I do believe. This stuff happens to me ALL the time.

Most recently a co-worker walked into my office and we were BS’ing. I told him a story of a buddy when he was tubing down the Apple River. Not more than 10 minutes later I see an add for the Apple River pop up in my FB newsfeed. Now, I didn’t type anything into my computer OR google anything at all regarding the topic, just a face to face conversation. And that was the first time I even thought of the Apple River in years. Tell me that’s a coincidence? No way.

Ads can show up in your feed based on your friends’ online behavior as well. My first guess would be that your co-worker went straight back to his/her desk and punched “Apple River tubing” into his search engine.

Either that or some shmuck is camped out way in the back of the FB headquarters parking lot in a suspicious van marked “Okay Plumbing,” listening to your cubicle convos courtesy of the hacked mic feed on your computer, and then pouncing on the opportunity to force-feed you an advertisement for a $20 tubing excursion.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

IoT!

It’s not spying, its a feature!

I left my phone home once and then I was inundated with Match.com ads. My wife works remotely!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyebuster5 wrote:</div>
    I’m not a conspiracy guy AT ALL. But this I do believe. This stuff happens to me ALL the time.

Most recently a co-worker walked into my office and we were BS’ing. I told him a story of a buddy when he was tubing down the Apple River. Not more than 10 minutes later I see an add for the Apple River pop up in my FB newsfeed. Now, I didn’t type anything into my computer OR google anything at all regarding the topic, just a face to face conversation. And that was the first time I even thought of the Apple River in years. Tell me that’s a coincidence? No way.

Ads can show up in your feed based on your friends’ online behavior as well. My first guess would be that your co-worker went straight back to his/her desk and punched “Apple River tubing” into his search engine.

Either that or some shmuck is camped out way in the back of the FB headquarters parking lot in a suspicious van marked “Okay Plumbing,” listening to your cubicle convos courtesy of the hacked mic feed on your computer, and then pouncing on the opportunity to force-feed you an advertisement for a $20 tubing excursion.

Read this.
    http://www.kare11.com/news/local/verify/verify-is-your-phone-spying-on-you/485855707

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Read this.
    http://www.kare11.com/news/local/verify/verify-is-your-phone-spying-on-you/485855707

I’ve seen it. I understand how it works. The dude in a van thing was pretty obviously sarcastic, I thought.

I still think it’s just as likely that one of his FB friends’ activity was the source of the ad. Or just random coincidence. 1.7 billion users on FB, each user served multiple ads every day. There’s bound to be some strange stuff.

How we choose to explain the uncanny to ourselves is a personal choice.

reelman
    Inactive

Seems like every time I buy something the ads start coming in. Just now the extra large condom ads are popping up.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1832.jpg

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    Read this.

I’ve seen it. I understand how it works. The dude in a van thing was pretty obviously sarcastic, I thought.

I still think it’s just as likely that one of his FB friends’ activity was the source of the ad.

That article is very interesting and informing. Thanks!

And no he didn’t search or do anything Apple River related because when I saw it 10 minutes later I marched right over to tell him and asked him if he searched anything related.. He didn’t.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Matt BigGill you can have my Facebook account.

No thanks, I think I talked myself out of it.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s tinfoil dude. Just make a new one.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s tinfoil dude. Just make a new one.

I think big brother took it. doah

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

You guys should look at what data the big third party providers have on you. Companies like Acxiom aggregate data from many sources down to an individual level.

It’s pretty nuts how much they know. A lot of companies then buy that data to market to you. So even if you don’t browse something on your phone or computer, your credit card records are being mined for that information.

There’s actually a lot of really interesting ethical questions that come up as a result. A lot of examples how all this data and the algorithms data scientists are creating from it end up furthering the inequality gap in this country and others.

Check out “Weapons of Math Destruction”, pretty interesting stuff.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.