Best Muskie Reel under $100

• Ny
    N Metro

I am looking to put together a back up muskie set up that I can use for Muskie and for my once or twice a year Sturgeon fishing. Looking for a Reel that has a clicker for under $100 bucks. What do you guys think is my best bet? I know you get what you pay for, and I am a firm believer in that especially when it comes to reels. I just don’t think I need to break the bank on something that is not going to be used as a primary option.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I’d look into a Abu Garcia 5500 or 6500. No clicker but those are for those who like to sleep instead of fish anyway. Just my .02 cents.

dbright
    Cambridge

The 6500 does have a clicker but don’t plan on using it much muskie fishing unless you want to replace the worm gear frequently. Both the 6500 had and okuma citrix 350 were both short lived muskie reels for me. The 7000 is bulky but has held up fine if you can stand to cast with it.

Ny
    N Metro

Anyone ever used a Shimano Corvalus?

Trenton Sauer

I have its perfect I bought it this year has a clicker and is awesome and affordable.

vern
    Richfield, MN

The 6500 C3s I own do have a clicker but they’re 15-20 years old. I use them for catfishing & some muskie. Did they remove the clicker on the newer models?

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

The 6500 does have a clicker but don’t plan on using it much <em class=”ido-tag-em”>muskie fishing unless you want to replace the worm gear frequently. Both the 6500 had and okuma citrix 350 were both short lived muskie reels for me. The 7000 is bulky but has held up fine if you can stand to cast with it.

The 6500 C is as good a reel as $$ can buy IMO. I have several–about 10-12 years old now, with 100’s and 100’s of days of casting on them–how many casts a day?–and they NEVER fail and work just fine for any level muskie hunter-IMO.

dbright
    Cambridge

Steve-fellegy have heard that about the older reels but the newer ones I have owned do not hold up even throwing smaller baits on the river.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I have several 6500 c3 reels that are at least 10yrs old and still going strong. Thousands of casts with muskie baits . I bought a new one last year , but only use it for catfishing. They really cheapened them up , haven’t tried casting baits with them , but doubt they would last one season . They still have a clicker , but its so cheap you can barely hear it. Interested to hear what other reels in this price range guys are using.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.