Best lightweight wheelhouse?

• Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

have been looking at these also. Do you know why he is selling? I also am not excited about the interior or the price tag, but looking prices on other brands of wheelhouse, not sure you can get much for under $15k.
    [/quote]

Ad on craigslist said he was relocating due to job change. This guy traded his fish house in for a trailer, so a trailer company now has the Core Ice house for sale for $12G.

Ice Cap

I ordered a trailer for hauling my UTV and sleds and stuff. My thought was to put in a few holes and try fishing out of it also. It won’t have a drop axle so we will see how well this works fishing, I’ll just have to reach down the hole and grab the fish a little further. I ordered a single axle to save weight and it is a 5200lb. axle to handle the UTV.

If that don’t work for you you might want to look at these.
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/d/savage-the-black-hole-ice-fishing-shack/6806907936.html

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I looked at those but it won’t fit what I need it for. I want it mainly as a trailer and ice house/warming house second.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Picked up my trailer tonight, sits higher than I was hoping. Top of the floor measures 23″ off the ground, bit of a reach to try getting a fish up. Gonna have to think if I really want to put fish holes in it or not.

Dustin Tichy

Im sorry, but the quality of Core is junk

I’m curious to hear more about why you think it is junk? I do not own one and I have no tie to the company, I just have admired them from the webpage and seeing them at shows. If I were to ever purchase a perm I was thinking about a core.

I guess my take on why I think they are the only house (Other than an Ice Trek) I would buy is that they are a straight up fishing house. You can pressure wash it out when it gets filthy and it has good lighting. I am not a fan on the ice castles and that segment of perms as they have too many man cave like things in them. I could care less about a tv, fireplace or comfy couch to sit on when fishing, I guess I would rather fish. So maybe your comment is aimed at how it isn’t finished in wood paneling and doesn’t have the high end trims, or does it actually fall apart and is junk?

To each their own, not slamming your opinion, just would like to learn more

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

My opinion when it comes to ANY fish house….#1 thing to look at is the frame. I’ve heard from a few people that bought Core and within a 2 weeks, hated them. The way they pulled down the road was terrible, and the way they traveled on the ice as well. Interior is cheap made.

I’d look at Team Lodge, frames are bullet proof, you pull them 80 MPH no problem, built with quality materials and not a massed produced. They were the ones that basically invented the toy hauler for ice houses. All the things you are looking at, Lodge has. You can also buy factory direct. Yeti’s are also damn nice if you like aluminum frames.

Ice Cap

I’m still in search of what I want to use as a permanent next year. I’ve kind of reached the conclusion that you’re only going to get out on the ice so early. It starts with walking out, then wheeler and snowmobile traffic then houses pulled by wheeler’s and not long after that is full blown truck/wheel house traffic anyhow.
    And this year has taught us every year is different. Never know how much ice you’re going to get and how soon you’re going to get it. Same with snow. These are the two factors that are going to determine everything anyhow.

And I’m not one to really push things in regards to ice safety. I figure I got my side by side and portable to do my early ice fishing. So in looking for a permanent wheel house I realized I see no reason to sacrifice some ameneties for super lightweight.

I’m going to spend 3 or more consecutive nights on the ice I need some room and some niceties so weight is not a big concern to me any longer. Right now the top of the checklist is a minimum 8′ wide after that I’ll consider most anything. 6.5′ is just to narrow.

Michael Smith
    Fall River, WI

I looked at a Core Ice 19’er. I thought the structure was solid.
    I didn’t like the interior stuff. The windows didn’t slide open unless you used two hands and grunted a little, the back table when set up was wobbly, I could see daylight in the door frame, the cook stove had permanent grates on it (how to clean), the cabinets were rather thin pvc sheet board. I expected a premium product because they want a premium price. This was a demo unit, and was used by the dealer. One of them told me it swayed in the high winds when being towed. I appreciated his honesty.

I bought a 21′ Ridgeline tandem axle. Towed it 4 hours home in a fairly high wind. Started at 60mph, testing the air. Then 65, 70, and finally was comfortable towing at 75, even with the high wind. Lots of factors to look at when spending a load of money on these fish houses.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.