Best lake for ice fishing trip

Hi, we are looking for the best all around lake/area for guaranteed walleye, maybe jumbo perch, maybe monster crappie or northern. Preferrably not lotw, too far. Wisconsin or MN. For an ice fishing trip this winter. Thanks

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Hi, we are looking for the best all around lake/area for guaranteed walleye, maybe jumbo perch, maybe monster crappie or northern. Preferrably not lotw, too far. Wisconsin or MN. For an ice fishing trip this winter. Thanks

Pick any lake. All of them are great. whistling

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Mississippi’ river Winona mn

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Pick a latitude somewhere just south of Mille Lacs, draw a line across MN and WI at that lat, and then throw a dart north of it. If it’s a big enough lake to see it and aim at it, it’s probably a pretty good opportunity.

Best way I can explain how I feel about it. waytogo

(But seriously, there’s great fishing on the southern end of both these states as well. They just don’t get the attention the northern lakes do.)

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

If you are mobile hit Alexandria or Annandale area could planiy out and hit a crap ton of lakesin a short amount of time

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

If lotw is too far, is Red Lake too far….

Upper Red lake is exactly what you asked for…guaranteed walleye* and you may catch a giant jumbo perch, maybe monster crappie or northern.

*terms and conditions apply, not all walleye are guaranteed but its pretty dang close

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

LOTW.
    Trust me it’s not to far.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

To the OP, do you have all your own equipment like augers, portables, ATV, (wheelhouse)? Or are you looking to rent a sleeper or day fish house? And what time of the ice season? These variables can make a world of difference in what might be suggested.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Moore Lake. Be careful, there is an aerator.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

one thing to consider if you go to LOTW is there is no night bite. I prefer a lake with a night bite for sleeper trips cause about the time im done nursing my hangover the fish start biting again waytogo

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Trappers Landing on Leech Lake has all that you are looking for.

mojogunter

If the aerator scares you, west Moore Lake is aerator free. grin

Moore Lake. Be careful, there is an aerator.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Matt,
    Your post was “Best lake for ice fishing trip”. IMHO LOTW is the best lake for ice fishing. Especially the Wheelers Point Area, it’s a fishing village like no other with 6 to 8 resorts seconds away from each other. Guaranteed walleye and if you catch it at the right time, you can only fish one line because your catching em that fast. When I first starting going up there I heard that story, and let me tell you that I have lived it a few times. Plus, you have a great chance at a plus 30″ fish.
    Like crappie stated not much night action on the lake (we have caught them but they are few and far between), but that’s what the resorts are for.
    Put it this way, If you never fish hardwater LOTW, your missing out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

guaranteed walleye

If my life depended on it, and I had to pick one lake to catch a walleye, many walleye, or a walleye over 25″+ it would be Mille Lacs and there isn’t a close second right now imho. Red is great, LOTW can be phenomenal but right now, this year, I think Mille Lacs is the closest to a guarantee. Could very well run into a jumbo perch or two, and if you want to chase flags it has some of the largest Pike in the state (check out Fisher’s Resort facebook page for some tanks). A lot of great resort options that can get you what you need too!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

BW, I agree with your statement 100%.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is WP on LOTW is more than just fishing. It’s a fishing Mecca, you need to make the pilgrimage at least once.

and BW, now let’s start telling people it’s going to be a Dead Sea this winter, if ya catch my drift. wink at least until the get together.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BW, I agree with your statement 100%.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is WP on LOTW is more than just fishing. It’s a fishing Mecca, you need to make the pilgrimage at least once.

and BW, now let’s start telling people it’s going to be a Dead Sea this winter, if ya catch my drift. wink at least until the get together.

Haha oh yeah, go to LOTW all the way! The Resort Row on Wheeler’s Point and the Igloo bar in Zipple bay should be on every fisherman’s bucket list! Plus an 8 fish limit! You can’t even keep a walleye on Mille Lacs, the perch are few and far between, and have you ever eaten a 46″ Pike? Me neither but I bet they are horrible! chased

tim hurley

Someone just told me Red is a tough bite mid season. FWIW

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I heard Red is on FIRE from first ice to ice out. whistling

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Have been to red a few times through resorts hit or miss luck. Feel like the most positive reports out of there are the guys up there all the time with wheel houses and focus on reporting thecdays they bite

You guys convinced us we cant miss lotw. We are going to stay a zippel bay resort only because we dont need to cross the border. Now one last question is, do you know any smaller lakes near there where I could get some crappies or perch? Thanks

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Zippel great choice ! Hit the igloo. Nick will get you on fish we’ve had them move us from deep to shallow houses depending on where they’re biting. At the resort get the chicken philly it is a 10!
    Between walleye sauger and tulibee I don’t know why you’d want to hit another lake. Could hit winnie for perch on the way home

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Matt –
    All BS aside, I didn’t care for the Owners or inside staff at Zippel. They were the most unfriendly resort people I have ever met.
    I hope is was just an isolated case for me.
    The morning bait set-up takes forever and they need to change that system.
    The Staff out on the ice were awesome, those guys worked their butts off.
    Their Log cabins are great.
    Good luck, and have fun!
    Let us know how you do.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Lake Osaka can be a hot spot…..I’m not sure of when in the winter…. I like the backwater areas around Wabasha, MN. If you are willing to move around a bit, you can find everything! From 10″ Perch to pound+ crappies to solid northern & gills! The local bait shop can always point you to a hot bite in the area.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Don’t need to go to Canada to do the wigwam-sportsman resorts, look for the accommodations and options you are looking for and then check reviews, we use to go to riverbend, borderview, adrians, ballards, all of them are good options. If you want more variety, maybe Cass, winni, leech area and smaller area lakes are the way to go?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.