Bemidji next week

• badgerbacker

Hey everyone, my wife is on a job all of next week in Bemidji and we are taking the kids. Will be staying on the big lake, near Irving lake also, and I would like to get the kids out a couple days. I heard the perch are biting well, tulibees sound fun and I have never even caught one, but any suggestions on keeping an 8, 3 and 1 year somewhat busy would be helpful.
    Also considered renting a sleeper, either for overnight if anyone has input on those.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Bemidji is a really good perch lake. Usually you can find them in the weeds up shallow, as well as out deep off the breaks. The north end of the lake historically is pretty good. Unfortunately I haven’t ice fished out there for a while so I don’t have much more than that for advice.

I’m not sure who in the area are renting houses out there anymore. I would call Tabers bait. They will be able to set you up with someone and will most likely have a better pulse on the perch bite out there.

badgerbacker

Thanks for the info. I had heard to fish perch on the north side, especially midwinter. I called Taber’s and they were able to give me a phone number for sleeper rentals.
    While doing my internet pre-fishing, it seems like most of the past ice fishing reports focus on smaller lakes in the area. Maybe the smaller lakes are easier to locate fish on/access easier. I know it is a big, deep (with loads of good breaklines and structure) and clear lake that generally bites best in low light periods, but is an especially “tough” lake to fish? That sort of lake has almost intimidated me a bit, never know where to focus in especially without a flasher.

Can anyone recomend a good lake map? I have one one now, but it is pretty basic. Also considered a GPS/mapping app for my phone.
    Again, thanks the help. I realize that no one wants to post their hot spot and lure for the entire interwebz to read (been there, burned myself). I am just looking for general guidance to help keep the kids interested by catching and releasing some panfish.

stevenhand01

I would invest in Navionics Mobile App. I love it and have used it for a while.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

That sort of lake has almost intimidated me a bit, never know where to focus in especially without a flasher.

No flasher? You will certainly want one! Check around, maybe Taber’s about renting one. I know a number of places will rent them around Mille Lacs on a daily basis…fairly cheap. Underwater cameras too they rent (might help keep the kids attention) as well.

badgerbacker

Follow up report, maybe it will help someone searching the forums later.
    We found perch in a 35′ basin pretty easily for three days of fishing. The three kids all fished, I baited, unhooked and untangled. The perch were all “eater” size, the dinks were rare and we had three jumbos on the last day. Minnows anchored on jigheads and spoons with heads worked. Caught a few on plastics. Fish were puking up tiny leeches and wormy looking bug larvae on the first day, but not the next two days. More minnows (some of which were not our stolen baits) were being coughed up the following days. Released them all. BTW, Taber’s Bait is a great shop and worth stopping by.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170215_141700.jpg

2. KIMG0815.jpg

christoper eide

Looks like ALL of you had a great time! Nice report too!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.