Being prepared for panfish- or

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Making new friends on the backwaters of the Mississippi.

I was looking forward to picking up some backwater gills for my Favorite Sister (she loves the whole, scaled gill). So I grabbed dad’s old panfish rod that was already rigged with a hook, split shot and slip sinker, Stopped at Runnings to pick up 100 wax worms and it was off to Colvill launch I went.

On my way to pick up the Skeeter, I ran into Woody (from Woody’s Guide Service). He was standing next to his boat with a fella named Brian Smith. Long time lurker on Ido he said. From Iowa and just bought a camper on the river. Got some latest locations (they haven’t changed) and chatted with Woody about other current events.

Started fishing the wood and picked up a couple. Realized that I’ve never used the live well in the Skeeter before so it took a moment to figure out it was the “live well” switch I wanted and not the “bait well” switch. Who knew?

Anyway, hooked a good one! But I didn’t get it out of the wood fast enough and snapped the hook off. Now I have to say, this rod has been rigged for panfish ever since River Rat Randy and I chased gills…oh, about 7 to ten years ago. The line was brittle, hook was a bit rusty and just not what I would call running on all 4 cylinders.

Went to pull out the box of white bass/panfish tackle and guess what? Left it at the camper. With not a hook in the boat, I was done fishing. I slowly started putting back to the ramp when I came across another fella fishing the wood. I pulled up within talking range and turned off the motor. Biting? I asked. They were getting some here and some there. I sheepishly told him about my poor planning and he immediately asked “how many and what size do you need BK?”. I looked a little closer and here it was Brian Smith, the fella I just met at Woody’s less then an hour ago!

We chatted a little more and we both went our separate ways to bring home a meal of gills I later found out.

Least I didn’t run out of gas…

I don’t care what anyone says, these Iowa guys are ok in my book! Saved the day for not being prepared!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Sound like just a downright nice guy. Great story.

LabDaddy1

Sweet! Gotta love panfish. Crappies should be heating up soon…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.