Beef Prices

• tim hurley

Western drought has producers sending lots of animals to slaughter, including cows-this will cause prices to go up NEXT year. Prices are I guess temporarily low this year. I noticed skirt steak at about 1.30 a lb. I have seen it as high as five. Might be a good time to stock up, I know I will.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Prices are I guess temporarily low this year.

I saw boneless ribeye for $9.99/pound at Cub Foods this week. That’s the lowest I’ve seen in years.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

A good chuckeye is still in the $5-6 range.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I saw boneless ribeye for $9.99/pound at Cub Foods this week. That’s the lowest I’ve seen in years.

yeah i bought about 8 of those. they also had 5 lb ground beef chubs of 80/20 for $13.85. That was a great deal and i bought 3 of them. Ive been pretty focused on stocking up the freezers the last few years when i come across deals.

Last year i bought a quarter cow from Will and it was terrific. Will definitely buy another one next year if i am offered it. Read an article the other day that explained consumers attempting to buy meat directly from farmers has skyrocketed in the last year. People are looking for cheaper ways to get meat

Jimmy Jones

And the chuck-eye is the best of the best steaks around.

CaptainMusky

Guess its time to stock up! In June someone didnt fully shut our upright freezer door so we lost everything in there. That was a PITA. Havent stocked up yet, but at least we purged the 11,129 bags of frozen vegetables and 435 boxes of frozen cheesy garlic bread my wife had in there.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Shhh not everyone can know this. Very good if you know what to look/ feel for.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

shhhhhhhhh whistling

tim hurley

Shhhh-put Chuck Eye on my radar. Look for good marbling, I’m guessing, will not be feeling it though.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Shhhh-put Chuck Eye on my radar. Look for good marbling, I’m guessing, will not be feeling it though.

Since I said feel. what I meant was like with a Ribeye you look for marble but
    I think also you can push on the meat with a finger and it has a certain feel to it.

They can be a hit or miss cut sometimes most of the time they are good and treat them like a ribeye when cooking get the fat to render a bit and medium rare is what you want.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I saw boneless ribeye for $9.99/pound at Cub Foods this week.

Thank you. I was craving a ribeye last week and couldn’t bring myself to pay $20/lb.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Keep your eyes out more than just Cub is having deals

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Not that cheap at the cub near me

Attachments:
    1. 20220830_155619-scaled.jpg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Grocery store beef…more expensive and worse quality.

Do yourselves a favor and find a local farmer with a great reputation to pair with a great local locker that does custom cuts and you will be way ahead.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    I saw boneless ribeye for $9.99/pound at Cub Foods this week.

Thank you. I was craving a ribeye last week and couldn’t bring myself to pay $20/lb.

I know dude! It’s been like 20 or 15 bucks/pound for years it seems.

Michael Best

Just bought a half of beef for $3.10 a lb.
    What was really nice is they didn’t charge us for hanging weight. They charged us for packaged weight.

Bought a hog and a half from a friend at work. Should be going into the locker around thanksgiving time. Can’t wait for some thick cut bacon made at a local locker plant.

Gitchi Gummi

Grocery store beef…more expensive and worse quality.

Do yourselves a favor and find a local farmer with a great reputation to pair with a great local locker that does custom cuts and you will be way ahead.

I was just going to say the same thing. After making the switch a few years ago to getting a quarter beef from a local farmer I know twice a year, I can’t bring myself back to getting grocery store beef. The difference in quality is very noticeable but you get what you pay for. You never know how long that grocery store beef has been sitting there and how many times its been repackaged. You don’t even have to taste it to notice the difference.. just look at a LB of beef from the grocery store compared to the local stuff and the difference is very noticeable.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for

stout93
    Becker MN

What was really nice is they didn’t charge us for hanging weight. They charged us for packaged weight.

Bought a hog and a half from a friend at work. Should be going into the locker around thanksgiving time. Can’t wait for some thick cut bacon made at a local locker plant.

That’s a great price on the beef. That farmer is losing a lot of money charging that low of price.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael Best wrote:</div>

That’s a great price on the beef. That farmer is losing a lot of money charging that low of price.

x2 ours usually comes out around $5-6/lbs, which has been a steal for the steaks and custom cuts and right in line or slightly higher than grocery store ground beef. And the flavor is like comparing a garden tomato vs a grocery store tomato in January, just way way better and fuller flavor. Only down side is we are usually running low this time of year before re-upping!

haleysgold
    SE MN

That price is a steal if that’s the total per LB.
    You didn’t have to pay the locker additional and 3.10 was just to the farmer?
    Either way would still be a great price.

Does that farmer have any more quarters he/she is looking to sell? whistling

CaptainMusky

Those prices are insanely cheap! There is a local ad up that has them in the 4 to 4.50 range which I think is also a good deal. I actually checked McDonald’s meats in Clear Lake and I think their prices are pretty good too.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

The last quarter I bought from a customer came to around 3.40/lb after processing. On the list for another this December. I dont know if I would ever go back to buying beef from a store unless I need to

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Not that cheap at the cub near me

Per steak so the price you show is right on. I have never seen them sold in pairs before. They are much thicker than that where I buy them. One is plenty for my wife and I. While an outstanding value they aren’t something I want every time. I still crave the main cuts.

Mike m

My 1/2 beef was 2.75 a lb hanging weight . After processing and packaging came out to a little over 5$ A lb

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Per steak so the price you show is right on. I have never seen them sold in pairs before. They are much thicker than that where I buy them. One is plenty for my wife and I. While an outstanding value they aren’t something I want every time. I still crave the main cuts

Oh gotcha. I’ve never tried them before. I’ll have to pick one up

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

yeah i bought about 8 of those.

When are you going to grill them up? Labor Day BBQ in Mound? I’ll swing west of here and stop by when they’re on the grill. toast

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Why are beef prices so high 2022?
    Meat prices are currently 7.5% higher than this time last year. This is due to several factors from general inflation, which in June climbed to 9.1% — the highest since November 1981 – to labor, fuel, supply chain issues and a drought impacting Texas and midwestern states.

JEREMY
    BP

I thought it was cows didnt wanna work for minimum anymore.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Why are beef prices so high 2022?
    Meat prices are currently 7.5% higher than this time last year. This is due to several factors from general inflation, which in June climbed to 9.1% — the highest since November 1981 – to labor, fuel, supply chain issues and a drought impacting Texas and midwestern states.

There are four major meat processing companies that have over 80% of the market in this country. JBS, Cargill, Tyson, and Smithfield control the vast majority of meat operations here and therefore, the supply. They could increase production, but often choose not to, which keeps prices higher. JBS recently settled a $52.5 million lawsuit for price fixing. They admitted no wrong doing, but agreed that it was “in the best interest of the company” to settle. Uh huh.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Maybe he got the bottom half….. shanks and if the head was down, the neck roasts doah crazy tongue

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.