Loads are coming in!

• jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Well it officially started for me yesterday. The first two loads of bait came in and the big walk in freezer was fired up for the season. Today I made a down and back trip to the cities for another massive load of secret stuff. Monday is yet another 500 mile run for even more goodies. My hunter numbers are down a bit this year with room for more as I do not have a zone 12 hunter to go chase “Bearzilla” (he destroys everything like Godzilla shredding Tokyo).

I also secured 400 acres of corn fields/river bottoms in zone 41 and only one of my hunters drew area 41. Looks like old 13 is going to be busy and my 41 hunter will have room to stretch out as ALL but one hunter is in zone 13.

Now it is all about making sure the Rivers Edge Stands are ready, trail cameras are programmed and the never ending war of trying to keep the raccoons out of the bear bait at our bear center. Last year the little ring tailed thugs tunneled under a bait tub and choked down about 200lbs of very expensive custom bait. I was pretty ticked when I discovered the cavern or hollow center in one of the bait stores. They hit it just like a bank safe in the movies!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good luck this fall!!! My dad has the same issue in his pheasant pens with those masked thiefs.

whittsend

Good update, sounds like quite the operation.

2012 MN hunt possibly in the planning stages, we’ll put in for points and stay in contact, JP. I’ve got some buddies that should draw WI next year, so we might stick with that for the time being – we’ll see what happens with their draw.

Quick question I just thought of. If I put in for a preference point (no tag) for MN 2011 but then decide I want to hunt MN, is that even an option? Can I buy an OTC tag for the non-quota area, or are there OTC tags available for some quota areas??? Or am I SOL because I applied for a point? Sorry, not terribly familiar with how the MN tag system is setup.

Thanks!

Mike

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Hmmm, I’m guessing no you can not apply 99 and still buy no quota but I could be wrong. I actaully know very little about the no quota areas or tags as I have never delt with them.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

JP- I feel your pains! Still have openings for hunters as well. The coons don’t seem to lack in numbers though! I have had as many as 4 of them on camera at once. Amazing to see them working together to get at the bait! In other pics will see the eyes watching the bear eat. Waiting their turn. Just about every other critter in the area visiting as well. Had a few porkies coming in. Then a big fisher showed up. Now no more porkies!

Baits are getting smashed at least!! Cost is already starting to add up!!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

It’s amazing what goes into a successful bear hunt. I think more than with other types of guided hunts, you really get your money’s worth. By the time the hunters show up, most of the hours have already been put-in and the deal has been sealed.

I hunted with Jonny last fall and can’t wait to do it again. It’ll be waiting another fall however, as I didn’t get my application in on-time….doh! I’m still kicking around the idea of coming up and hanging out around bear camp. I had a blast last year!

Joel

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

…but this time we will give you a skunk shooter to defend yourself. In fact we can make it your job to go out ahead of the hunters and clear skunks from the area…they would like that.

Yes by the time the hunters arrive we have cut the baits down to half by activity, the daily route goes from 160 miles to about 90 miles, twenty plus Rivers Edge stands have been placed and ready and we have the slide show of active bear rolling in the bear center. This year should really be interesting as I am expanding into even more territory, silly bears think they are going to migrate south for milky corn, HA! We are gonna follow them the twenty miles to the corn fields this year.

lick

Good Luck Jonny

Can’t wait for pics and stories

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.