All Star Rods

• rick-robinson
    Dundee, Iowa

I’m going to upgrading some casting rods this year.
    Any of you Bass guys use All Star rods? What do you think?
    Not sure what brand yet, just checking them out.

Thanks
    Rick

willie boy
    Cornhusker Central ... HELP!

@hile you’re waiting for the answer…I’ll toss out this question: what differences are there (good/bad) between All-Star and Shimano Crucials?

Another rod that I really like is the Cabelas XML series. I know Loomis (Loomi?) are really light and sensitive…does that really make a difference for you all over the course of the day?

Dash4Cash
    Saukville, WI.

willie- boy, you answered your question yourself. light and sensitive, light rods for less fatigue and easier handling, sensitive, kind of speaks for itself.
    Carl

2rivers

I spoke with a seemingly knowledgeable rep at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield last year, he said All Stars were the most returned rods they sold. He didn’t try to push BPS rods although they aren’t bad rods if you like the handle. Personally, I would look at Falcon Lowrider and Cara, St.Croix Premier and Avid, and Shimano Compre and Crucial rods, depending on what you want to spend. I like all these rods in certain actions.

ncarlson203

I bought two All Star Select rods from [censored] last year, used them all last year mostly for casting lures, I had no problems, I would actually buy a few more if i could find them.

brovarney

On a completely seperate, but related note, A broken St Croix (I think any age)is worth 40% towards a new one if you send it in.

willie boy

Good point on the returns/warranty stuff. Loomis fails this test IMO…although almost everything else works good…

Cabelas XML’s (25 year warranty) are great. have used it twice now…once the handle ‘butt’ section glue failed and second time, had a rod guide failure…no questions asked. Just exchanged for new. Shimano’s also do a good job of standing behind the product.

Do have a friend who fishes smallmouth down in the KY/TN area who says ‘nothing but AllStar’…

Please note I did not make a negative statement about any rod…

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Personally, I would look at Falcon Lowrider and Cara, St.Croix Premier and Avid, and Shimano Compre and Crucial rods, depending on what you want to spend. I like all these rods in certain actions.

In that order in my humble opinion.

Goldenboy
    Coon Rapids, MN

Quote:

Personally, I would look at Falcon Lowrider and Cara,

Me too…

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I bought my first Crucial last year, and I think it is an excellent rod for the money.

sapguru90
    Germantown, WI

Quote:

Good point on the returns/warranty stuff. Loomis fails this test IMO…although almost everything else works good…

Loomis has a lifetime warranty on their rods.

Kistler Rods are worth checking out.

willie boy

goes to show how much attention i’ve paid Loomis…’years’ ago when I first looked at them, I difn’t think they did have a lifetime warranty…

I’ll just go stand over here in the corner now…

shane2694
    LaCrosse,WI

I have recently purchased 3 Castaway rods. I have Loomis and St. Croix rods as well. In my opinion you cant be the waranties that the big name brands offer

uppermiss rat316
    Elk River MN

Quote:

I bought two All Star Select rods from [censored] last year, used them all last year mostly for casting lures, I had no problems, I would actually buy a few more if i could find them.

Whats with this censored crap…. didn’t know I was on FM

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The filter must think it’s a naughty word. Check your pm. This was done automaticly as if a staff would have done it..your post would say…

edited by the gastapo

gary_wellman
    South Metro

NCarlson;
    What word are you trying to type???

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’m guessing he bought them at Dick’s Sporting Goods. If you take apostrophe out of Dick’s it becomes a naughty word….

jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

Personally, I wouldn’t buy an All-Star Rod. From my experience the quality dropped off after they were purchased by Shakespeare. Unless you can find some of the old Titianium Series rods they aren’t worth it.

J

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.