Hair Jigs For Coldwater Smallies

• larsonmat
    Mondovi, WI

As the water temps edge downward this subject came to mind. Just wondering what people are using for jigs and how to fish them (i.e. vertically, dragging, etc.). I normally fish until December but have never fished hair jigs. Any info would be appreciated .

Matt

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I used Jimmy D’s Riverbugs. I love them. Most times, I’m casting them on wingdams or whatever structure I’m finding fish on.

I rarely jig them vertically for Smallies.

serpent
    MPLS, MN

Do you put a trailer on them for more bulk???
    Do they sell these in any stores or do
    you have to order online???

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Nope, no trailer is needed. You can order them Here!

I also recommend the Hair Pig jigs and the Walleye Weenie jigs. I’ve not tried the River Bug jigs w/ whiskers, so I can’t comment on them. I’m sure they work fantastic though.

The great thing about the Jimmy D jigs, is they hold up very well. I’ve yet to have one fall apart. How can you go wrong with a jig tied by a fisherman for fishermen?

They are the only hair jig I use for Smallies.

larsonmat
    Mondovi, WI

Thanks Blue. I seem to remember you and JC catching some pigs on them in the fall.

If you’re casting them on wingdams what weight jigs are you using? I would think a lighter jigs would work better. What about line and rod length?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

Do you put a trailer on them for more bulk???
    Do they sell these in any stores or do
    you have to order online???

Right now Jimmy D’s are only sold online. I am trying to get him to advance to such that a angler can order directly off the site…..maybe something in the near future?

You can email or call him with questions or color preferences you might have. He custom makes each individual order to assure you get the right color combonation that you want.
    Jimmy D’s riverbugs are some of the best smallie hair jigs that I have ever used.
    Here is a sample of a jig that has been on the top of my confidence list for cold water smallies.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Here is that same picture zoomed in the jig.

serpent
    MPLS, MN

thanks fellers

ZoomHog1
    LaCrosse, WI USA

i recently bought a muskie flippin jig in gill’ colors that is 1 1/4 oz. Is that to big to use when the water is cold like this?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I would say so……..

Bigger baits work well in fall but its getting to the part of fall that requires more finesse fishing. That water is just too cold for fishing fast or with big baits. Slow with small plastics will do the trick. I know a hair jig would too but i think the smaller the better. Of course it also depends on the size of the bait. Theres such thing as heavy but compact. You want to be on the bottom but you don’t want your presentation to be an overdose. The lightest you can get by with seems to be the best. but thats just my thoughts on the subject. do whatever you like.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I don’t know…I had no problem catching good numbers of fish today of all sizes with a bigger bait!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I use a lot of big baits this time of the year.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

cool. All i know is the fishing was really tough for anyone that was out there today. I caught 1 keeper, lost one keeper and caught about 30 fish from 8-13-1/2 inches. I couldn’t catch anything on a bigger profiled jig with hula grub, but instead used a shakey head with a small paddle tail worm to put fish in the boat. Maybe it’s just a confidence game. But no matter what i use, i can’t seem to find any keeper fish around anyway. I talked to a few guys that said the same thing. Including ottobass32 and Glove from here on the site. I must be in the wrong area

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Cade-I think your pet fish have sore lips

benotto
    Shawano, WI

I am with you on that one Cade. I also caught a lot of short fish. I tried shallow and deep, current/no current, rocks, weeds, wood, gravel, and sand and could not figure anything out. Where do all the keepers go once they move out of the shallows. I was a little surprised however to catching the fish on a swim jig. The little ones were pretty aggressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.