Bait or No Bait on Spoons for Crappies

• Nodakk

Got on a great crappie bite yesterday. One after another with a combo of eaters and large release fish. I was using a pinhead pro with the small silver blade on the treble hook. Started out with the treble loaded with red spikes and was having fish turn away. As soon as I went to no bait/plain treble hook on the same pinhead, crappies were streaking up and hitting it on the fall down.

Anyone else experience this? Should I be running no live bait on these spoons? Seems opposite of fishing with tungsten jigs where I need a waxie on there to get fish to bite.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Bait or plastics. The one lure I’ve found that panfish will hit without tipping it with something is the Pinhead Mino.

tim hurley

A spoon will have more action w/o bait. Sometimes minnows, sometimes plastics, sometimes bugs, sometimes nuttin’, when? Where?–keeps it interesting.

mojo

I let the fish decide.
    If I see fish, but am not getting bit, I add meat. Also, if the bite is hot, I will drop down quickly with no meat, and if the fish take it that way, I avoid adding any meat.
    I am convinced that the Pinhead Mino spoon is a difference maker. At times, it has been the only bait to get bit. I may add some of the VMC Bladed Hybrid Treble hooks to several other lures if I find them on sale.

Matthew Sandys

I have not used any live bait for crappies in years. They will hit it. Yes, I know I’m not the smartest as some times live is better but I just stick with plastics.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Sometimes it’s about triggering a reaction bite. Whatever the trigger be. It could be the flutter of the spoon. It could be the lift of the spoon. Sometimes it’s the attractor blade that triggers the bite.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Was out a week or so ago using a blue and silver Kastmaster spoon.
    The crappie were very active. Started with a minnow head catching smaller ones.
    Then switched to a full minnow and caught larger ones.
    The guy I was fishing with always uses spikes and typically out fishes me.
    Not that day though, he ended up switching to a full minnow.
    We had to have been in an area with a bait ball because almost each fish we caught were cacking up full minnows.

LabDaddy1

The <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie were very active. Started with a minnow head catching smaller ones.
    We had to have been in an area with a bait ball because almost each fish we caught were cacking up full minnows.

What kind of minnows were they coughing up?

tim hurley

Sometimes they want the Mcnugget sometimes the Big Mac.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    The <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie were very active. Started with a minnow head catching smaller ones.

What kind of minnows were they coughing up?

Looked like the same minnows I was using, crappie minnows. I was thinking they were the minnows I was using but the math said different.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Once and a while there are those days were the bite is so good they will eat anything. Other days you have to put something on it.

usmarine0352

I wonder if adding bait to the Pinhead Minno changes the action and flash which is why sometimes not adding bait is better.

Also, you guys are talking about the Pinhead Minno, Pinhead Pro Minno, or Pinhead -Jointed?

ekruger01

Nine times out of ten, i start with the middle size pinhead and throw it down baitless. If I cant get them to go on that, I throw down a Bull Spoon with a VMC bladed treble with no bait. If I absolutely have to I’ll add maggots. But I havent used minnows for crappie in years.

kayl

Nine times out of ten, i start with the middle size pinhead and throw it down baitless. If I cant get them to go on that, I throw down a Bull Spoon with a VMC bladed treble with no bait. If I absolutely have to I’ll add maggots. But I havent used minnows for crappie in years.

I’m impressed that you get them to chow the 1/8oz pinhead! What size Bull Spoon do you like?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.