bad news FLEET FARM FOR SALE..

• oldrat
    Upper Midwest

http://www.jsonline.com/business/mills-fleet-farm-puts-stores-up-for-sale-b99593106z1-331399901.html
    Mills Fleet Farm has put its retail operations up for sale, according to news reports.

The Brainerd, Minn., company known by its orange and black logo, operates Milwaukee-area stores in Germantown and West Bend.

In addition to those locations, the company’s Wisconsin stores are in Antigo, Appleton, Beaver Dam, Clintonville, Fond du Lac, Green Bay, Hudson, Manitowoc, Marshfield, Menomonie, Oshkosh, Plymouth, Stevens Point, Waupaca and Wausau.

In addition to Wisconsin and Minnesota, the company also operates stores in Iowa and North Dakota.

According to a report in the Brainerd Dispatch newspaper, the company employs 6,000 people and operates 35 stores across its four-state region.

Mills Fleet Farm began in 1955 and is in its third generation of family ownership.

The Mills Automotive Group of vehicle dealerships is not part of the proposed sale, according to the Brainerd Dispatch.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Odd story. Seems like it would be better to go public to raise capitol to expand. That’s what most growing companies do…..

I’d buy the stock!

-J.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Well whoever buys it can hopefully keep lures in stock beyond the month before opener.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Well whoever buys it can hopefully keep lures in stock beyond the month before opener.

Agree.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

Agree.

x2

As for going public to expand they have had no trouble expanding with bigger stores around the state unless they dug a big hole they can not get out of, I dought that. Looks like those new bigger stores were a plan to invest to sell.
    That,Or back to another successfully run at politics.

The ultimate man store/get away and a good family store.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

3rd generation has no skin in the game so to speak. They didn’t build it, haven’t done anything other then pull a pay check. Gonna be some very wealthy folks dividing that money up.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I think Stewie pissed away a big chunk last election and he is doing it again… maybe he is going for broke ! crazy

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Article in the paper yesterday said they were at the limit of what a family run private company can fund in terms of expansion. Members of the family are not willing to go into hock for hundreds of millions to drive the next phase of expansion, but they want to keep the company privately held.

Likely scenario is not a “sale” outright, but selling a significant share to a VC firm.

Grouse

castle-rock-clown

I don’t know anything about business mumbo jumbo, I can’t even balance a check book, just ask my bank. What I do know is that I love their stores. Part of the fun is timing their restocking. I just bought a Henry 22 rifle from them and they bent over backwards to get me all the added discounts not to mention their already lowest price around. We have a Blaine’s a lot closer, but it’s no comparison.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

yes.. I have been BEGGING FOR FLEET FARM To BUY OUT Farm and Fleet.. I just am shocked to see this happen.. if they are looking to sell what is Farm and Fleet doing because they aren’t getting any of my sporting goods money.. Heck sometimes I drive 22 miles just to buy gas at Fleet Farm because the cash price is so much lower..

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

We have the Farm & Fleets by me…. and I do like the Fleet Farms when I get in the area of one. I agree… sure wish there was a Fleet near me.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Fleet Farm is way more into gear for us hunting, fishing, camping families. Farm and Fleet by me ticks me off about half the time that I go there. Don’t shop there unless I have to.

castle-rock-clown

What can replace the experience of going to Mill’s and looking for the elusive Vibrato lure and picking up some Bait Mate while signing up for the Gillespie fishing contest…just sayn’.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.