cleaning the carb’s on my sled?

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Help needed:
    Anyone care to explain the break down on how to clean the carb’s on my snowmoblie? I have not used it much the last few years due to lack of snow, well now we have snow!!!
    I have to keep the choke at half way on to keep it running?Its a Polaris 440 supersport!!!

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

PM sent – hope the information helps. Good Luck.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

It is usually the main jet the will need to be cleaned.

By removing the bowl on the bottom of the carb you will see a brass insert with a small hole in it, older models will have a hex shaped main jet as shown here:

http://www.mrp-speed.com/store/product_thumbnails/t_26099.jpg

Often time it’s the main jet that is plugged, remove it and clean the hole with a small wire. If you are unable to clean the jet, purchasing a new one is your best option.

Once the main jet is cleaned, try re-assembling the carb, 90% of the time this is the problem.

Since you have drained the fuel from the carb when you removed the bowl, it may take a few extra pulls to re-fuel the carb and get your engine started.

New sleds have flat side carbs and those jets look like this:
    http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/images/MAIN%20JETS%20MUKUNI.jpg

Good luck, hope this information helps.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Now thats the info I needed!!
    thank you……

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Once you get the carb off first thing you are going to do is screw in each jet and count the turns till it stops.Do not tighten them down hard.Should be like 1 or 1 1/2 turns + or -.Then write that down so you know how they go back.Then remove them.Next you want to take the bowl off of the carb.Remove screws and tap on bowl and it should come loose and try not to tear gasket.Inside there you will find the float,Main jet and there should also be a small jet down in a tube.Remove all of these being very careful.You should be able to slide the pin out to remove the float.Take pics if you need to.Spray all the orifices out with carb cleaner with the straw.As long as you dont tear a gasket you should not need to replace it.If you have any questions let me know or I will also be up at Hunters this afternoon and could walk you threw one.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hello

I am kind of late here, If the machine will only run (Idle) if the choke is on 1/2 that is not your main jet You do however need to clean the main but that is not your problem the main jet has nothing to do with your Idle you need to clean the hole carb each passage and make sure you clean your Pilot Jet or better, replace it because they are difficult to clean for they have such a small orifice. A lot of people that are DIYS’ers miss the pilot and soon after melt the motor down because of the lack of fuel to the motor. Your pilot system sends fuel to your engine all the time if it is dirty it will not deliver fuel and will lean down your mix and burn up the engine.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Would also be a good idea to drain the tank and lines and get some fresh gas.Also check or replace the fuel filter.Also check the fuel lines as they get hard and deteriorate.There should also be a short piece of capped off line on the carb that catches water and sediment.If this is hard an stiff replace it while you have the carbs off.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Once you get it cleaned up, run some Seafoam through the gas to clean anything that was missed. Then on your last ride of the season, add some more Seafoam to the gas as a storing agent and you’ll never have to monkey with those carbs again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.