Atv ticking noise

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

2002 polaris sportsman 700 has a new ticking sound and noticeable power loss. It seems loudest on the right side and gets notably louder after it warms up. Wondering if anyone knows where to start looking for the problem.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Ticking and loss of power – detonation.
    Sorry for your loss!

deertracker

I would guess that you lost or are losing the right cylinder. Maybe a piston ring issue?
    DT

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Start with a compression test and go from there. Could be any number of things from valves to pistons to clutch.

Forrest Melton
    Alexandria, MN

Start with a compression test and go from there. Could be any number of things from valves to pistons to clutch.

Joe is on the right track, next thing I would look at is the valve lash. Could be an issue with lifter or camshaft.

Adam Steffes

Could be exhaust leak but that probably wouldn’t affect power

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Man, doesn’t sound good. It is hard to do compression on it because it is so cramped that it is damn near impossible to even get the plugs out – I will look closer to see if I could possibly thread a hose on.

It is also an almost 20yr old machine, and it is my father in laws – probably not worth much investment if I can’t do it myself. I just pulled the carb and did the needle valve and replaced the throttle cable too. Just sucks because this is how I can get my house/family out when the ice sucks (like this year).

But thanks all for the info!

deertracker

I’ll give you $400 for it… coffee
    DT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.