Ranger Cool Hub Oil Change

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I put together a short video showing the oil change process on the Ranger Boats Cool Hub System. Again one take, unscripted, unedited. Hope it takes the mystery out of a fairly simple maintenance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mryTOKn1wRw

As I mention in the video, you should be familiar with the process necessary to change out a tire. Assemble and keep the tools needed to do the job in your tow vehicle. For me, its a 2 ton floor jack, breaker bar/ratchet and allen wrench set.

I decided to switch from a 50wt motor oil to a 75wt full synthetic. The synthetic will provide protection to a lot higher temps if necessary. (480 degree flash point) That’s up to 50% better than a standard conventional oil. I obtained the oil for this project through IDO member Klotzlubemn. Rick can be contacted here on IDO or give him a call at 763-479-2478.

Here is a shot of the drain and fill plug hole. Once the screw is removed, give it plenty of time to drain. And take your time re-filling.

Always inspect the drained oil for signs of water. Also a good time to inspect the brakes and tires for any unusual wear. Better to find trouble in your own garage than on the side of the road!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Very nice Jon. That video will be used for years to come!

klotzlubemn
    West metro, MN

Excellent video, Jon.
    You made it very simple and easy for people to understand.
    The oil change in those hubs will be a lot less “intimidating” to a lot of people now with your video.

Thanks!

Rick

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Very nice Jon, much much better than cleaning and packing bearings with grease!

Jami

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Nice job Jon. To speed up the drain & fill I insert a cocktail straw to help break the vacuuum and to complete the fill I use a large syringe without the needle.

danno
    Central MN

What’s the maintenance interval as specified by Ranger for the hubs?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I believe its 30,000 miles. For most people that’s basically as long as they own the boat. I’ll stick with annual maintenance. But that’s just me.

-J.

buckgehm
    Wisconsin, Marinette County

Is changing the fluid really a mileage issue vs a water in the oil issue?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If you were not dunking the hubs into water all the time, they would last for several 100 thousand miles just like bearing in cars and trucks.

To me, it’s simple maintenance. Only way to see if water is getting in is to drain out the old oil. Oil is cheap and the time investment is minimal. Just gives a guy piece of mind. That and as I mention in the video, good to know you have the tools and know how to pull a tire. Last place you want to find out there is no allen wrench in your truck is 250 miles away from home with a flat on the side of the road! I take that breaker bar, socket, and allen wrench. Wrap it up in a plastic sleeve. Tape it closed and keep it with the boat. That way, no matter who is towing the boat, if something happens I can change the tire.

-J.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.