Johnston – Using Modern Electronics on Mille Lacs

• jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

Well done! I live only 6 miles away from Mille Lacs and I still can’t figure it out half the time. I love reading stuff like this. Suppose Bear Facts will be upset with all the info?

timewing

Awesome article Derek. Very informative,can hardly wait to get out on the big pond and try some of those tactics……

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Awesome read Derek. There is useful information in there for the first timer all the way up to the seasoned vets. Thanks for making me rethink a few things.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Good Information Derek,
    Well written and illustrated, thanks for sharing

dave

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Great article Derek!!!!

Very well writen!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Excellent article. Good job Derek.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I noticed his preference to fish the downwind side of a hump instead of anchoring above the structure and fish into it. What’s the difference?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Personal preference, usually the deeper water surrounding the hump will have a softer bottom. This can sometimes make it hard to hold anchor.

catmando
    wis

Very good reading i once was that guy at the landing fishing the same spots for 30 years i still check them out mind you but move onif needed. the GPS AND CHIP to me is one of the most important things on my rig. DLK.

senkoking
    Farmington,MN

Outstanding article Derek. I look forward to our trip in September and showing me these techniques in person.

hockeypuck

Hey great Artical, can you or anyone else give some good info on which unit is a really good unit. I mainly fish minn. and sometime lake michigan (but that guided). And I’m going to devil lake in Sept. Have a 18ft.lund, and it’ll be taking to a boat dealer to get set up correctly. I agree with that artical, I’v been there and said that. But its always relaxing to go north. thanks(not worried about cost)

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks Randy!!

Crappie38- If your going to use a seperate GPS and sonar, I would recommed the Vexilar Edge 3 color sonar and a Lowrance GPS. The Vexilar Edge is really easy to use and the detail is incredible. After using the Edge you will gain confidence on every outing that you know you are finding fish.. My GPS unit is a Lowrance 4900m and I use the Lakemaster chips.

Good luck

hockeypuck

thanks for the reply, i’ll get it done

jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

I am looking for new electronics with Lake Finder Chip as well as depth finder. If you were to suggest the three or four I should check out for the “middle” of the road which would they be?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Are you looking for a combo unit or do you want two dedicated screens for GPS and Sonar? What is your budget?

jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

I am looking for just one unit the GPS and Depth Finder in one. $450-800 is what the wife has said is okay.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I would suggest the Lowrance LMS-332C or the Humminbird 787c. I think you were referring to the Lakemaster chip above, which would leave you with the 332C, but if you want the Navionics Premium map chip you could use eother unit. Both of these are excellent combos. I run the 332C myself. If you want to discuss this more please feel free to send me a PM or email.

mnfisher
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

I would recommed the Vexilar Edge 3 color sonar and a Lowrance GPS. The Vexilar Edge is really easy to use and the detail is incredible. After using the Edge you will gain confidence on every outing that you know you are finding fish.. My GPS unit is a Lowrance 4900m and I use the Lakemaster chips.

This post is about a year old, do you still feel that this is the best combination or are there any newer units that your would suggest in place of either of these?

I need to outfit a boat that does not have any electronics on it and although I do not have an unlimited budget, I would rather not do it on the cheap and want to upgrade in a year.

Is there a benfit to a B&W display on the GPS unit?

Also, with the Vex/ Lowrance combo at the wheel, what are you running at the bow position?

Thanks in advance!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks for the reply.

I run a tiller boat so I don’t have any electronics on the bow. When I had my Lund wheel boat, I ran the Edge 2(B&W) and Lowrance Globalmap 4800M both on the console and bow.

I still feel the Edge 3 with a separate GPS is the bread and butter combo. The Edge has so many advantages over other units.

I do feel there is an advantage of B&W GPS. When using B&W with map chips, I’m only concerned about seeing the contour lines. On a B&W screen, the contour lines really stand out over the color units. The brighter the ambient light, the crisper the display. Monochrome uses ambient light to display its image. Unfortunately, B&W GPS screens will probably be discontinued in the near future. But the ones made today will be usable for a long time with todays mapping software.

For sonar however, separation of targets is most important and color really has an advantage over the B&W screens. The reds, yellows and black really stand out.

I will be at Joes Sporting Goods in St.Paul Sat April 28th from 1-5. Stop in if you would like a demo on the Edge 3.

mnfisher
    Farmington, MN

Unfortunately, I work the 28th 7a-7p. I may have to book a trip for an on the water demonstration this summer. I will have to check out the Edge sonars. Honestly, I have never heard much about them, but I haven’t been looking at electronic for that long.

On the ice, my running joke with my buddies is that I use superior products, Marcum. I may have to bite my tounge or black out the Vexlar label if I pick an Edge up

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Open water season coming soon.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.