Anyone Out On Pepin Lately?

• 85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I’ve been pulling 7 and 9 floating raps using a 3 way with a 2 foot dropper and a 3 foot lead. Works great on the deep side of the break line. I like this because it’s very easy to run four roads versus having all the line out with 4 lead rods. Gets down quick and u know where your bait is at.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jacob Strand wrote:</div>
    We launched out of Hok-Si-La Boat launch. It’s a pretty nice launch. I also have a deep v boat and it wasn’t bad getting out or back in. We mostly trolled with some raps and bottom bouncers. We will be back maybe with different game plan but we didn’t really see anyone boating fish while we were out there.

Thanks I was thinking of using that one. I don’t have any lead core set ups. How heavy of a bottom bouncer were you using? Anyone use snap weights on the river or just drag a deep diver against current. Sorry new to all this.

I use 1 ounce all the way to 3 ounce bottom bouncers. if it is rough, I go heavier. you will want it a little rough or you will struggle with consistency it seems. I usually pick windblown shorelines and hope for the best. seems to work for me but it’s a big lake and fish roam all over. there have been days where i go all over the lake and finally catch fish 5 minutes from the landing. hoksila and roschen have smaller parking lots so they fill up fast. roschen is a battle with any wind and it is tough if you fish solo as it has a super short dock. sometimes i like that one because people go elsewhere and it is a short drive to some good spots. Parkside in Wabasha has great docks and is protected but fills up fast especially on weekends. Colville in RW is great all year. lots of parking and an nice launch. great cleaning shacks in Colville and Roschen too.

good luck John hope you get on em!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks Eyeguy really appreciate the response.

Jacob Strand

We were using 1.5 oz bottom bouncers. I’ll be honest. Still a rookie when it comes to trolling so testing the waters out. If anyone has any input I’m more than open to it on what weights etc.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

For the guys running crawlers, were you also dragging with bottom bouncers or could a guy get away with a lindy rig? Death roll, spinners, floaters?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

For the guys running crawlers, were you also dragging with bottom bouncers or could a guy get away with a lindy rig? Death roll, spinners, floaters?

i just pull em on spinner rigs. never tried other ways, never had to i guess? i like the JB lures rigs but the fish probably care less. lots of ways work tho so don’t be afraid to experiment.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Go with whatever way you can go faster and cover water. I’d definitely not mess around with a tactic slower than bottom bouncers and a harness…unless you’re going to fish wingdams.

The water is hot. The fish wander and begin to spread out. Forage is everywhere from up shallow to on current breaks in the channel to out deep on sand-rock transitions. It’s starting to get more difficult or take more work to get on substantial pods of fish with the river dropping and temps climbing while forage grows and spreads from the shallows too.

I’ll be out tomorrow morning and doubt I’ll pull cranks under 2.8 or 2.9 as a starting point, up to 3.4 or 3.5. I’ll pull some 1.5-2oz bouncers if I’m on a good school of fish in an isolated area. Even then I’ll pull as fast as I can get the blades to not spin out

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks guys I got it go faster than you think you should. Again thanks eyeguy. Bucky thanks I was hoping would chime in.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Definitely tougher today to get on fish with levels dropping. I ended up sending a buddy home with his limit, but we didn’t have near the numbers as the last month. It wasn’t unheard of to catch triples running 4 lines a few weeks ago. We had gotten to the point where 2 guys running 3 lines was as much as we could handle most outings during the week.

We fished from 7:00-11:00 today and probably netted 2 dozen fish. Best was 22” (released) with about 75% of the fish being walleyes. We could have had a 2 man limit but I wasn’t keeping fish. 3mph was the best speed in my boat, depths varied from 13-21’ with the best bite being on the deeper side of the range. Jointed Shad Raps outfished solid body baits and flickershads. Most fish came on perch and purpledescent.

We found one nice pod that wouldn’t bite for the life of us. When we finally pulled one from that area it must’ve coughed up 5-6 minnows into the livewell. Another spit up what looked to be a small sheepshead. The forage is great on Pool 4, and now that it’s growing and ripe for the picking fishing could definitely get tougher

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We had gotten to the point where 2 guys running 3 lines was as much as we could handle most outings during the week

Figures I missed the hot bite. I will be more than happy to replicate the day you just reported on though. Thanks for the report Bucky!

SoDakangler

First trip down this year and sounds like I needed to go deeper this morning. Trolled through huge pods of fish in 9-13 feet but couldn’t get much to go. Tried 2.8-3.5mph. Only colors that caught fish were same as bucky. Sounded like the crawler bite was ok.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    We had gotten to the point where 2 guys running 3 lines was as much as we could handle most outings during the week

Figures I missed the hot bite. I will be more than happy to replicate the day you just reported on though. Thanks for the report Bucky!

you got to embrace the chaos when you get into it. sometimes its right away and sometimes its not. i am debating going out tomorrow for the late window.

Gerty

Anybody been out the last couple of days that may be willing to share some information? I haven’t been on Pepin for several years. Only trolled in front of the DQ. Did well then. Figured now that the bite is slowing down it would be a good time to go! doah Looking at maybe going Friday (it’s not for sure yet). Planning at landing in Lake City if we do go. Up lake, down lake, WI side, MN side, depths, cranks or live bait, speeds??? Any help would be appreciated. If you would rather message me that would be fine also. Will obviously share a report if we do make it down there.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well we made it out there. Launched at Hok-Si-La, nice launch for sure. Fished from the launch north on the mn side we trolled lead from 13-22ft of water picked up a sheep about 20 minutes in and that was the only fish caught. We tried Maiden rock and went downstream a few more points. We were marking fish but nothing. Still new to the lead core game and lots to learn. Did not see many nets get used, we fished until about 12:30. Did hit a floating log but no damage was done that I could tell. Wish I had more to offer guys. I ran a perch jointed shad rap, my buddy tried a bunch of different colors and profiles.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I’ll be out tomorrow. Planning to launch out of Lake City. I’ll get a report up tomorrow night.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Well we made it out there. Launched at Hok-Si-La, nice launch for sure. Fished from the launch north on the mn side we trolled lead from 13-22ft of water picked up a sheep about 20 minutes in and that was the only fish caught. We tried Maiden rock and went downstream a few more points. We were marking fish but nothing. Still new to the lead core game and lots to learn. Did not see many nets get used, we fished until about 12:30. Did hit a floating log but no damage was done that I could tell. Wish I had more to offer guys. I ran a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>perch jointed shad rap, my buddy tried a bunch of different colors and profiles.

that sucks John! June is usually primetime but i imagine this bathwater isn’t helping the bite. i usually hang it up once the water temps hit 75. too much traffic and mostly a speed trolling bite which isn’t my cup of tea.

you will mark fish in this system everywhere you go but that is river fishing. i will be out this weekend taking the kids tubing. might wet a line or 2 but might put the rods away until fall if it stays this hot.

Hunter

I was out last Saturday. Trolled 1oz bottom bouncers with hammered gold spinners with crawlers at 1.2-1.5 mph in about 9-13 ft against the current on the WI side across from Hanson’s Harbor (little more north). Picked up a few good eaters. Nothing fast and furious. Good Luck!

Mike Wirz

I have fished the system from Alma to Red Wing year round for about 4 years now. My favorite time is November/December. It seems they are a bit more predictable then. Last year I kind of figured out the early summer trolling crank bite. Just when I was getting confident I went one day and never had a hit for over 2 hours. Switched to crawler harnesses. 3 nice walleyes in 10 minutes through the same area. The next week I started with crawler harnesses. Nothing. Switched to cranks and had a double right away. 1 week they were in 6 feet of water, the next week 17 feet. The moral of the story is they want what they want when and where they want it. It seems to change weekly. It’s kind of like deer hunting, the stock market, and your significant other…things we are never totally meant to figure out. More times than not I can get my 4. At times very humbling. Always beautiful. The challenge keeps me coming back.

I really like this thread. People here are knowledgeable and respectful. keep it going boys (and girls).

Gerty

Doesn’t look like we are going to be able to make the trip on Friday as planned. I do appreciate the responses. Good luck to everyone.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Got out yesterday and pulled crawlers on spinners on the WI side. Caught quite a few eyes and a few bonus perch up on top in 8-12ft. Pulled the deep side of break a few times but only picked up a few saugers.

Jacob Strand

Anyone been out to Pepin within the last week? We are heading out there tomorrow morning.

Snap

Was out today on the south end of the lake pulling every size and color cranks in 4ft to 20ft between 2-3mph from 6am to noon. Zero bites.

Was a great follow up to last week fishing Leech lake pulling cranks, spinners and slip bobbering with leeches and crawlers. Zero walleye bites in 6 days of fishing.

Jimmy Jones

We fished some pool 4 backwaters on Tuesday and boat traffic was a zoo at times. I can’t imagine even trying to launch at Lake City or Wabasha this weekend.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Was out today on the south end of the lake pulling every size and color cranks in 4ft to 20ft between 2-3mph from 6am to noon. Zero bites.

Was a great follow up to last week fishing Leech lake pulling cranks, spinners and slip bobbering with leeches and crawlers. Zero walleye bites in 6 days of fishing.

Geez Snap, rough stretch. bawling

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Oh snap! that is some humble pie served up but it happens more times than some care to admit. those big lakes are susceptible to bug hatches and can shut right down.

3 things can kill a bite

bug hatches
    cold fronts
    boat traffic

probably a few more examples but those are the big ones. I am sure bug hatches are going on throughout the state as we speak.

isu22andy

About a handful of sauger today running lead core 20 foot deep . 3.5 plus mph . Natural and crawdad color . Honestly didn’t fish more than an hour . Can’t figure out them suspended walleyes though . Seem to start blanking on those – do I need to go play in the current more ? Any help ?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I think the suspended bite is a myth? I can’t validate my claim because i run lures on bottom for eyes. maybe someday when i retire, i will have time to experiment?

SoDakangler

Anyone been out the last few days and have a report on depths or advice on cranks vs bait? Heading down in the morning and I’ve really struggled down there this year.

isu22andy

May fly soup anyone ? Couldn’t catch a walleye sauger to save my life today … did have one suspended crawler harness get bite off shortly after hooking up , I’m guessing pike . Drum played though . Might be catfishing season here soon for this guy .

Attachments:
    1. 4D832BC6-43F2-4685-BB3F-1E034EE5D412-scaled.jpeg

SoDakangler

My report from yesterday is much of the same. Managed a real nice sauger and a short walleye and that was it. Going to stick to P2&3 the rest of the summer. Just couldn’t get it figured out on pepin this year.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.