Anyone Out On Pepin Lately?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I threw the boat in for 2 hours to just run around, check a few perch spots out and get away from work.

I had no intentions of fishing saugers or eyes but decided to long line a couple cranks in the channel at the tips of 2 wingdams. I made 3 passes and caught 3 legals and 1 short. Running short on time I headed for a bottleneck area behind a popular island searching for perch but only nabbed 2 stray ones and a couple elusive drum.

Water temp was 60-61 everywhere I was with relatively good clarity. I was beneath Pepin and saw nothing but bass boats. Hearing it was busy above the lake I’m glad I didn’t waste the couple hours I had trailering further for that.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

wow i did not think the water temps would drop 10 degrees in a week but i will take it.

fishinfun

With the flow up some now, is the Wisconsin channel reasonable for traffic?

isu22andy

With the flow up some now, is the Wisconsin channel reasonable for traffic?

Levels currently at 2.4 . I had her beached at 3.0 this summer . 18 foot deep v . Maybe someone else has a bigger set than me but I ain’t running the whole stretch till it’s above 5 again .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Wisconsin Back Channel had over 20 rigs Saturday and Sunday. Level in Red Wing last night was reported at 2.35.

Trim up and follow the deeper water on your graph on the WI side. (Mr. Sippi side) I normally take my engine out of gear until I see the deeper water on the opposite side of the closing dam. I’m not sure if the two markers are there yet or not. Or go to the free ramp in Bay Point.

I was surprised at how few boats there were at the head of the lake Saturday afternoon. Course the bit of a wind made it cold for this non acclimated skipper.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

wow i did not think the water temps would drop 10 degrees in a week but i will take it.

I’m less than 2 miles from the river the way the crow flies and had frost on my windshield this morning when I didn’t get my truck in a building. The night temps are taking their toll.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It was 43 when I left the Harbor Docks this morning. By the time I drove to River Falls, my “CAUTION, ICE POSSIBLE” warning came on at 33 degrees! crazy

isu22andy

Wisconsin Back Channel had over 20 rigs Saturday and Sunday. Level in Red Wing last night was reported at 2.35.

Trim up and follow the deeper water on your graph on the WI side. (Mr. Sippi side) I normally take my engine out of gear until I see the deeper water on the opposite side of the closing dam. I’m not sure if the two markers are there yet or not. Or go to the free ramp in Bay Point.

I was surprised at how few boats there were at the head of the lake Saturday afternoon. Course the bit of a wind made it cold for this non acclimated skipper.

What I was implying is the back channel ramp crossing the closing damn is good, I was there last night – the stretch from the bridge down to goose lake and out of Katrinas cut , no good for me. I had her beached back there just past goose lake.

Saw the Ella J out throwing a line last night. Any nibbling ?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Saw the Ella J out throwing a line last night. Any nibbling ?

No, I didn’t have a line out. Since the FW broke her elbow, I’ve had to change all the linen in the boat. I can’t do it all at once when there’s breakfast, lunch and a Hamm’s during the football game.

Ok I lied, it didn’t watch the game, just had Hamm’s.

It was another awesome weekend to be on the river watching the walleye guys!

Viewing 9 posts - 121 through 129 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.