Any report on the jig bite on Erie after the show?

• bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

How was the job bite? I’m going to make a trip next spring but I’d like to get on some big fish jigging to get a break from trolling during my week out there.

David Lowry

The jig bite is just about over for the year, the spawn 99% done. The jig bite can be fun pulling mostly 18 to 24 inch males. jigging the flats of the shore line, the mouth of the Maumee river, and the reef complexs. Some have a real knack for it, while other struggle. It is very weather dependant were a cold front can shut you down. Most use hair jigs when water clarity is good and blade baits when water clarity is poor. On a good day in a couple of hours you can pull 15 eyes, on a bad day 1 eye is good. Lake Erie is a walleye factory, but you still have bad days, and also bad weather days. I would definitley suggest a couple of drift bags to keep your speed on a drift to about .7 to .9 mph, keep contact with the bottom, and try to keep your lure as vertical as possible.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How was the job bite? I’m going to make a trip next spring but I’d like to get on some big fish jigging to get a break from trolling during my week out there.

I wish we would have had a chance to check out the jig bite. It sounded like it was really going good with lots of big males being caught. Our trip to Erie was… abrupt. We drove all night to get there after we left Sturgeon Bay. Checked into the hotel at 3AM and hit the water by 9AM. We put together the trolling show by fishing from 9 AM until almost sundown then went back to the hotel. We woke the next morning to a pouring rain and a forecast that called for the soaker to last the better part of two days. We headed for home.

In the end we spent 10 hours on the water and 20 hours in the truck driving. Not a great ratio in my book. doah

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.