Any Chain Updates?

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Let’s just add musky on top of that…

I agree with your point Glenn as I grew up there and have never been a fan of the DNR experiments.

While I am unsure if the addition of catfish to this ecosystem has played a significant role in reducing the average size of panfish, I can assure you that muskies have not. Muskies do not seek out and target sunfish. They’re preferred prey are soft rayed fish such as suckers and ciscoes. Secondarily they may target perch. Would they take a large sunfish or crappie if given the chance? Perhaps. But stomach content studies have shown they do not have a measurable impact on bluegill populations.

The likely cuplrit is over harvest by anglers.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CBMN wrote:</div>

I agree with your point Glenn as I grew up there and have never been a fan of the DNR experiments.

While I am unsure if the addition of catfish to this ecosystem has played a significant role in reducing the average size of panfish, I can assure you that muskies have not. <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Muskies do not seek out and target sunfish. They’re preferred prey are soft rayed fish such as suckers and ciscoes. Secondarily they may target perch. Would they take a large sunfish or crappie if given the chance? Perhaps. But stomach content studies have shown they do not have a measurable impact on bluegill populations.

well bud, I’ve lived within 5 miles of that chain all 63 years of my time on this earth. My first 21 years a half mile from the river access.I also know a whole lot of people that fish system, including me and that’s not there opinion.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

While I am unsure if the addition of catfish to this ecosystem has played a significant role in reducing the average size of panfish, I can assure you that muskies have not. <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Muskies do not seek out and target sunfish. They’re preferred prey are soft rayed fish such as suckers and ciscoes. Secondarily they may target perch. Would they take a large sunfish or crappie if given the chance? Perhaps. But stomach content studies have shown they do not have a measurable impact on bluegill populations.

gimruis – I totally agree with you that Muskie’s are not the Culprit. I also believe that over harvest may play a roll. But in my opinion the real culprit is the Catfish. the quality and quantity of almost all species has gone down hill since they introduced Catfish into the chain. This includes panfish, bass, and walleyes. There is no turning back now. once those things get established its almost impossible to get them under control. Its sad. My buddy who’s fished the chain for 45+ years says prior to the catfish it was one of the best multi species lakes anywhere in minnesota.

CBMN
    North Metro

I guess I don’t necessary make the assumption that the Musky are the primary issue to do with the panfish either, and I agree that the catfish are the main issue, I just don’t think they can help, and I don’t know how the DNR plans to fix something they messed up by adding more species not native to the chain.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I guess I don’t necessary make the assumption that the Musky are the primary issue to do with the panfish either, and I agree that the catfish are the main issue, I just don’t think they can help, and I don’t know how the DNR plans to fix something they messed up by adding more species not native to the chain.

they could increase the catfish limit and get rid of length restrictions.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

well bud, I’ve lived within 5 miles of that chain all 63 years of my time on this earth. My first 21 years a half mile from the river access.I also know a whole lot of people that fish system, including me and that’s not there opinion.

Gleen57 – I find that often fishermen almost always want to blame almost everything other than themselves when the quality of the fishing on their favorite lake goes downhill , when often they are just as much or more so to blame than anything else. For many years the Chain got ALOT of panfish pressure both summer and winter. It was not uncommon to see many fishermen leave the lake with limits of both sunfish and crappies day after day. This is bound to take a toll on the population at some point. To make matters worse it was often the 9″+ sunfish and 12’+ crappies that were being taken out of the lake in large #’s. But like I said I still believe the catfish to be far more of a problem than anything else. Those things are eating machines and young panfish make up a large share of their diet. Just my .02 worth.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I find that often fishermen almost always want to blame almost everything other than themselves when the quality of the fishing on their favorite lake goes downhill , when often they are just as much or more so to blame than anything else.

Bingo

CBMN
    North Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

well bud, I’ve lived within 5 miles of that chain all 63 years of my time on this earth. My first 21 years a half mile from the river access. I also know a whole lot of people that fish system, including me and that’s not there opinion.

Being that the Chain doesn’t have any whitefish or ciscoes and relatively small perch and sucker populations, and Musky have to eat something right? So I would say it might not be the preferred forage but if I were to make an educated guess I would think the Musky surely eat some panfish. Again, I think I agree the cats are the prime change agent. That has to be at least 20-25 years ago that the cats were introduced and that was the beginning of the changes I noticed growing up with the chain in my backyard.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thumper.. rest assured I not one of them. I can’t remember the last time I kept a crappie or sunfish out of that system. Catfish yes. And they went to a wild game feed.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

they could increase the catfish limit and get rid of length restrictions.

That would be a good start. I’m just not sure how many people keep catfish out of there anyway. If I really wanted to keep a limit of them out there even under the current regulations it doesn’t seem like it would be to hard to do so. Then again I don’t target them out there. I just know we catch a ton of them while fishing anything else. It doesn’t seem to matter if its a Jerkbait for walleyes, a Spinnerbait or crankbait for bass, or a 1/32 oz. panfish jig.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thumper.. rest assured I not one of them. I can’t remember the last time I kept a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie or sunfish out of that system. Catfish yes. And they went to a wild game feed.

Good. I hope you and many more continue to keep taking catfish out of there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I just know we catch a ton of them while fishing anything else. It doesn’t seem to matter if its a Jerkbait for walleyes, a Spinnerbait or crankbait for bass, or a 1/32 oz. panfish jig.

There’s the likely culprit for some of the panfish issues based on personal fishing experience. Catfish on those artificial lures while bass fishing? Those things must be super aggressive.

Now that I think about it, I recall you posting a photo of an enormous catfish this season while bass fishing.

CBMN
    North Metro

I would say what little I do fish the chain I am also a catch and release angler also. I probably haven’t kept a fish from the chain in about 10 years and the last time I did keep something it was probably 5 crappies or 2 walleye.

More just disheartening to see it change from what it once was.

Ripjiggen

article in todays st cloud times they are looking at changing the sunfish limits from the current 20 to 10 effective march 1. they listed 9 different lakes but it essentially makes up the lakes of the horseshoe chain

there wasnt any issues with panfish success with the chain until a couple years after the DNR introduced the catfish to that system????????????

I would be fine with limit change all over the state.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I grew up there as well. Matter of fact just across the railroad tracks going into Richmond from the intersection of hwy 22 and 23. Just up from the old river roost. waytogo

My friend owns that house on the corner of 22 and 23. Across from the Marina. Owns a good portion of that land around that area of the river too

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

I grew up there as well. Matter of fact just across the railroad tracks going into Richmond from the intersection of hwy 22 and 23. Just up from the old river roost. waytogo

My friend owns that house on the corner of 22 and 23. Across from the Marina. Owns a good portion of that land around that area of the river too

I remember you and I having that conversation before. waytogo

JoeMX1825
    MN

The panfish issues can most likely be directed at the resort visitors (and others who have cabins/homes on the lake) keeping practically everything they catch. I routinely see it with my own eyes, nothing ever gets thrown back and the game warden never checks boats (if they are even on the lake at all)….for those that know where to look, there are still plenty of large panfish in the chain.

Side note – I can’t believe how fast the Zebra Muscles have taken over in just a few years time…just crazy, but at least it will help with the water clarity…

3Rivers

They did increase the catfish bag limit on those lake only (from 5-10). The size structure has been changing as a result. The cats are slowly thinning out but also getting bigger. Not sure that’s necessarily a good thing though since big catfish love eating small panfish.

Ice fishing and sonar technology will kill exponentially more panfish though.

Big groups setting up on wintering schools and filling coolers. I’m sure a lot of you have seen it.

The cats also took a big hit the past few years. Some of you might be happy about that, but there are also a lot of people that enjoy catching cats just as much as you might enjoy catching Sunnies.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

article in todays st cloud times they are looking at changing the sunfish limits from the current 20 to 10 effective march 1. they listed 9 different lakes but it essentially makes up the lakes of the horseshoe chain

there wasnt any issues with panfish success with the chain until a couple years after the DNR introduced the catfish to that system????????????

I’m not sure this is an issue of catfish or muskies or anything along those lines.

This initiative is part of a statewide DNR proposal to identify and encourage the return or to sustain lakes that have greater potential for quality panfish.

Other special reg lakes that have had reduced bag limits have showed improvement in overall size. These were lakes previously identified as having that potential.

If some remember, I posted a link to the DNR survey asking for public input. They also held remote virtual meetings in which the public was invited to participate/comment. I believe they’ve completed that process now.

I don’t think in this case the catfish is the culprit. There’s plenty of panfish but by reducing the bag limit there’ll be fewer total 8-9″+ quality fish leaving the lake.

My guess is this is the most viable attempt at trying to implement. Some kind of slot or size limit would likely not get far.

One thing that was pointed out by someone on another page was that this proposal did not include all lakes in the chain. Which would create a compliance/enforcement issue for those boating with a legal 20 fish limit across the other lakes with a 10 fish limit. ???

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Seems preventative to me. No shortage of panfish that I have witnessed. The walleyes I cleaned this fall did seem to prefer YOY sunfish/crappies based on their stomach contents.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    I just know we catch a ton of them while fishing anything else. It doesn’t seem to matter if its a Jerkbait for walleyes, a Spinnerbait or crankbait for bass, or a 1/32 oz. panfish jig.

There’s the likely culprit for some of the panfish issues based on personal fishing experience. Catfish on those artificial lures while bass fishing? Those things must be super aggressive.

We catch cats all the time trolling cranks on Castle Rock and Petenwell flowages. doah

On another note WDNR stocked Muskies in a couple smaller lakes near me years ago to help control the over crowded bluegill populations. They were trying to get panfish to a larger size by hopefully having Muskies cull the small gills.

CBMN
    North Metro

Glenn,

I grew up on about the exact opposite side of the Chain from you, over on Bolfing Lake. I might have to look you up next time I get up there. Will shoot you a PM…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

thanks for the PM, yea we need to hook up some day!!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

took a drive around the chain yesterday. schneider lake is locked up, nobody has been on it .most the chain is iced over but definetly not safe. seen 1 person checking the ice on the long lake access about 20 yards from shore, but looked like he had gone out a bit further.

the meth hole even looked like it was iced over as well as the river access on hwy 22. river had open water a bit upriver. browns lake had an open spot, there where about 20 swans out there. from what i seen noone else has been out checking the ice.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i personally havent drove past the chain lately but i did see a picture with a few guys out on the ice yesterday on the chain. not 100% sure but looked like the area/channel if you wanna call it that goes to the meth hole!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Sorry bud but I have been way north for the past week.

tim hurley

Ok-but run don’t walk and get a report! It’s after 3pm now! You are the man out there!

tim hurley

Ok-but run don’t walk and get a report! It’s after 3pm now! You are the man out there!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.