Any Chain Updates?

• tim hurley
    Participant

Worth saying twice! (well, ok that was an oops)

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Took a drive around the chain yesterday. Lotz of people scattered all over the place. Only seen 3-4 wheelhouse type houses out. The accesses by browns and long lake where full.

Even looks like there crossing the river in the hwy 22 access to get to becker with wheelers.

tim hurley
    Participant

Talked to a guy who did pretty well, said fishing is good, parking sucks.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

there where vehicles out on horseshoe. 2 trucks where parked back on horseshoe where that creek goes between horseshoe and long. there nutz, a guy posted yesterday the most ice he’s seen was 10 inches with it generally being around 8.

about 8 vehicles parked on the ice along the shorelines. 2 vehicles out in the narrow area between the winter access and meth hole.

no way not yet for this guy. aint no fish worth it to me.

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

Seems like the odds are good for someone to go thru in the next 5-7 days. I will stick to the boat on the river this weekend.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

took the little pooch out for a ride around the chain. some trucks and vehicles out and about on the lake, some parked on shore. there scattered all over.

i found out a lake out by new london has 12 inches and people are taking 1/2 ton trucks out. doah frown

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

I heard that about Green lake also.

tim hurley
    Participant

All kinds of full sized trucks on a lake by Pine City

Shadowgrass
    Participant

Does anyone have any current ice reports? Are people driving out from the winter access? Thanks.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

been a while since i took a drive around the chain……needed to get out of the house for a bit.

lot of permy’s out since the last time out. looks like there driving out most everywhere..with that i lay caution to the river areas and meth hole. so yes shadowgrass they are driving out on the winter access, both sides. i even seen a truck coming off becker drive across the river to the summer access.

although there were not an abundant amount of people out i was actually surprised at the amount of portables out……musta had good heaters!!!

IceHawk
    Participant
    Richmond mn

I was one of those crazy’s out there in a portable today! Fishing wasn’t to bad got on some crappies bad part was they were shallow on a sand flat and moving a around a bunch . Hole hopping would of been a way better more successful option but wasn’t in the cards on a day like today. Oh well squeezed out enough to make it enjoyable on such a blustery day.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

People where kinda scattered all over. Was surprised to see so many permy’s between cozy corners and the island on long

Ok icehawk where?? devil whistling

IceHawk
    Participant
    Richmond mn

I was on Long smurf.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I was on Long smurf.

how thick is the ice, icehawk?? I might wander out once it warms up a bit. By the way I sent you a on yonder.

IceHawk
    Participant
    Richmond mn

17-20 inches

tim hurley
    Participant

I can drive to Becker with my Honda Pilot from the summer access?

IceHawk
    Participant
    Richmond mn

Tim As we all know ice isn’t always safe and if it makes you feel more comfortable punch couple holes, especially between the cattails. And to answer your question yes there is a nice road and trail heading out there. Tim there have been 1/2 tons crossing there for about 2 weeks already. I drove my Dodge out there a few times already. Now on the fishing the gills have been a little tough out there as of late frown

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Hey Tim, he’s got a white pickup. devil rotflol oops sorry.

tim hurley
    Participant

I can hooky bob-did that as a youngster! Thanks Glenn.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

i got a little stir crazy in the house so took a drive around the chain. there’s a few out and looking as though like vehicles pretty much all over. lot of houses out by the island out by cozy corners.

i found it odd noone was set up by the meth hole?????/

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

There out and about today. Long was busy especially on the south end. They are fishing closer to the south shore then in years past.??? A bunch by the island out from cozy’s to. A group out on cedar island and near the meth hole. Cars coming off becker.

Think I’ll venture out during the week, but where oh where.:???::???:

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Scored. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210222_154044965.jpg

tim hurley
    Participant

Good Glenn-how deep? (gotta say short on details, you are our guy out there)
    Now I’ll give you details: Fillet, cube, soak in buttermilk, mix cornmeal with spices (maybe cajun, up to you Glenn) Cast iron, peaunut oil, fry flip, work outside if you can (warmer now Glenn) salt-yum

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Was on long, 23 ft was about 2 ft off the bottom. Was 27 1/4.

Going out again tomorrow somewhere.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Good Glenn-how deep? (gotta say short on details, you are our guy out there)
    Now I’ll give you details: Fillet, cube, soak in buttermilk, mix cornmeal with spices (maybe cajun, up to you Glenn) Cast iron, peaunut oil, fry flip, work outside if you can (warmer now Glenn) salt-yum

going towards a wild game feed. waytogo

tim hurley
    Participant

Nice fish, thanks for the dets.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Was out there on Sat. Got into a decent bite on crappies but were on the small side. Did watch a guy and his girlfriend or wife put the beat down on the cats. They must have caught 6-8 in about a 1/2 hour. They had a panoptix setup and one would swing the unit and point and the other would go that way and catch a fish or two rather quickly. I believe they were fishing in about 24 fow. Those units seem to be deadly on the cats – which is fine with me. Hopefully they can help put a huge dent in the population of the cats out there.

tim hurley
    Participant

They will clean out the crappies too-anything that suspends.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

They will clean out the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappies too-anything that suspends.

I was a bit surprised at the amount of 7-9″ crappies we caught out there. It was a good sign to see. I would think by that size they are getting past the main eating size for most of the Cats out there. Then again those things are eating machines and maybe a 7″ crappie may be a small treat for them. Its a little sad to see what putting cats in that lake has done to it over the years. Its use to be a Great lake for almost all species and now it is nothing but a shell of what it use to be.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.