Another Big Storm Coming In

• CaptainMusky

I was wondering if people used those sea legs for regular storage or just when they pull up on a beach. The first time I saw them I thought they were brilliant for whoever came up with that. With how high the water is this year everywhere Im surprised we are not seeing more issues like this. The river is so high near my house no one has docks in. My buddy probably wont get his in all year and last year the water was so low he couldnt get his boat on the lift.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Do people leave boats on lifts when they no huge storms are coming ? Just hoping for the best ? Or knowing insurance will cover it.

This is our first year leaving the tritoon in a slip for a few months. I’m paranoid, but we’ve been told that in the water is better than on a lift with regard to storms and wind getting under it or a lift canopy. If I had it on a canopy lift nearby I’d probably get it off with a huge storm coming, but there’s often little notice. Other than pulling it out for a couple trips or washes, it’s in to stay. If I know a big storm is coming I’ll run in and triple check the docking lines and snug the cover.

If an EF – 2 tornado went through most MN lake/river marina areas like it did for some the other day, there’s going to be damaged property. That’s why we choose not to pinch pennies on insurance.

Ripjiggen

Have had pontoons pleasure boats fishing boats on lifts every summer for a long time. Would almost be impossible to pull them off. Especially mid week.
    That’s what insurance is for.

FinickyFish

I was wondering if people used those sea legs for regular storage or just when they pull up on a beach. The first time I saw them I thought they were brilliant for whoever came up with that. With how high the water is this year everywhere Im surprised we are not seeing more issues like this. The river is so high near my house no one has docks in. My buddy probably wont get his in all year and last year the water was so low he couldnt get his boat on the lift.

The Pontoon my buddy just bought has the sea legs and he uses them as lift next to the dock. Previous owner did the same, no need for a standalone boat lift. They both were on lakes with little fluctuation so ymmv. As for off-season storage I don’t believe you use them for that, be hard to get the trailer under them.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If I had it on a canopy lift nearby I’d probably get it off with a huge storm coming

Without a boat on them, the lifts become kites. It’s happened at our cabin, twice. You need to remove the canopy if you leave it empty.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Multiple house demolished south of Alexandria.
    DT

Friends of friends lost their cabin and boat near Alex. That’s not a lightweight boat to toss around. bawling

Attachments:
    1. malibu.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.