Downrigger locations

• trouter18

I have a 175 Trophy & will be installing 2 downriggers swivel mounts on it. I’m thinking of directly on the gunnels. Anyone done this or have some wisdom to pass along before start punching holes? Not really sure how far back to put them (the downriggers have telescoping arms), so reach isn’t too big of an issue, I’m mainly concerned of efficiency to be able to keep them accessible & out of the way to run multiple lines/setups). Thanks in advance!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I originally mounted my Cannons on my Aluma Magnum165 (wide gunwales) what I now consider to be too far back.

I mounted them even (centered) with the rear storage compartments. I found it difficult to deploy as had to have sometimes put a foot in the splashwell.

I have since moved them to the rear of the walking area so I can easily access them without reaching or kneeling on anything. Electrics might have been ok in this position but I have manuals.

(old pic, baseplates are now on Traxtech rails and riggers are now placed where the rope cleat was)

I thought farther back the better but realized it was not necissary to go THAT far back.

Are you planning to run riggers out, 45deg or back? If out the back make sure boom clears would be the only consideration. Probly didnt have to mention that…

Good Luck, Mark

finman

Mount some tracks, then slide them wherever you want.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Quote:

Mount some tracks, then slide them wherever you want.

X 2 I first had mine mounted to the gunnel,then put in a berts custom track,best thing since sliced bread, their swivels are great also.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Probably over kill, but when ever I install anything on the gunals of my trophy Sport, especially things like anchor cleats or rod holders, I add a aluminum backing plate and use nuts and bolts instead of wood screws.
    Just a thought.

Al

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Don’t know what downriggers you have…I have Walker electrics and have mounted Berts Custom tracks on my Tyee they come with plastic removable inserts. I have Bert’s Adjustable Swivel bases that slide into the track when I remove the inserts.(Both available on Cabelas website) The deal is that I trade boats quite a bit and with the inserts in the track it looks like a step plate and I don’t have to include my downriggers with the trade/sale.
    What ever you do, make sure that you mount the riggers so that the rod holders/ect do not extend out beyond the gunnel….and get broke off at the dock.
    bestfishes – jim

trouter18

Thanks for the thoughts, I don’t really want to spend money on the tracks, nor do I really have the space for them. There are ranger style poles, cleats, stern light socket, gas cap, and snaps for something(side curtains?) all over. My original thought was right where Mark had his before, and I was thinking about how hard it might be to reach, especially crank on the right side (as you look back). I have older uni trolls that telescope out. I think I may remove the rod cleats and put them there when the time comes. Still open to other thoughts too… does anyone run a board across the back?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.