Fishing Report – MEGA bass on L. Minnewaska..!

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Here’s the latest on the bite from Lake Minnewaska from Staff Scott Steil. Minnewaska 6-30-03

If you like big bucketmouths, check out the pics in this report!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Kick Butt pics Scott. Nice report as well.
    How is Minnewaska over all for a smallie fishery? I have never been on Minnewaska other than duck hunting many years ago.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Dee Zee, I would drive many a mile to fish the smallies on Minnewaska, well, actually I do. It is an unbelievable fishery and there is nothing better then getting 4-5 lb smallies on spinnerbaits. Quite and arial show!!

The lake is big, has one of the best bluegill populations in the state, and the bass fishing is a close second. The best smallie fishing is just starting, I will be out there quite a bit over the next month. Worth a try for sure.

I will try to attach a picture from this time last year.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Scott

Are there any special protective regs in place on this lake that helps to protect these impressive fish or is it just one of those rare fish factories that can pump out the bigguns? Are you working these spinners real shallow across the tops of the weeds or slow-rolling them along the edges? Thanks for any info you’re willing to share. I’ve caught some darn big bass in my day but just never caught enough bass, particularly smallmouths, to consider tossing spinnerbaits to be one of my confidence approaches.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I got into throwing spinners for smallies on Vermillion last year and that has been my go to since then. I like pulling them over the top of deep weed beds. These weeds are in 8-13 ft and depending on the depth I like to pull them anywhere from just under the surface to 5 ft down, just over the weed tops. Nothing like getting hit by a smallie coming off the bottom at full throttle hittting that spinnerbait. Hold On!!!

I have had very good luck on Mille Lacs with the same techinque, although there I fish the rocks instead of the weeds for smallies.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks much Scott. I mess around with throwing spinnerbaits on the Miss and catch a few but rarely the size I pull on tubes or other plastics. There’s no doubt I’ll keep trying though…

scottsteil
    Central MN

I forgot about your question about the special regs. I don’t know of any special regs on bass in Minnewaska, but I hope people are not keeping them. I have never kept a bass in my life and I hope others are releasing them also. The future of this fishery and all others is in Catch and Release.

shinyblueeyes

Scott,

I couldn’t resist registering and saying HI when I saw fishing your expertise on this site. I am glad to see you took that passion you had up at Lake of the Woods and made it into a profession!!

SB~

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Scott,
    Very nice report and those a great pictures of some wonderful Largemouth and Smallmouth. thanks again. Jack.

Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

Great report, nice pictures.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.