Lake Mary Alexandria Area

• Paul Hanlon
    Roseville, Minnesota

Dinosaur coaxed me into signing up as a member a couple of weeks ago. I’ve really enjoyed the information and camaraderie shared among the other members. Who wouldn’t want to join in? As a father of a three year old son and a baby daughter due on the Minnesota walleye opener, (I know my planning on this wasn’t well thought out) this website often provides me with a much needed fishing fix. So thanks!

I’ll be staying on Lake Mary for a week in mid July with the extended family. The quarry will be walleyes with my father (fair weather fisherman), brother and nephew. I’ve been researching lake maps and magazine articles for lake structure, presentations, etc. The information has been fairly sparse. I plan on contacting local resorts and area bait shops as well.

Questions for all you folks with any information on this lake:

I’m aware of the main bar at the north half, a rock pile located just south of this main bar, a rock pile located north of the lakes south end bar/point, a vague reference to a rocky area east of the channel (?) and a lot of no-man’s land in the lakes main basin. Are there any mid lake mud piles/rises? Other mid-lake structures?

Bottom transition areas?

Will the bite be a night bite? Morning/evening bite?

I plan on dragging live bait rigs, plain and with spinners on the weedlines during prime times, bobbers and/or casting jigs onto the bar/rock piles at night.

Mid day? Cover ground in the basin.

How does a person target any suspended walleyes in the mid lake area. Crankbaits?

Any and all information would be appreciated.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I might have missed it but what resort are you staying at? I know the guy who owns MaryView very well and can probably get some good information from him.

emover
    Malcom, IA

BBL,
    You have some great questions and I wish I had answers. Your post brought back some fond memories, as I fished Douglas Co. a lot in the early to mid 80’s and Mary was one of the lakes I frequented. Other than some great times, the things I remember most were considerable weedlines, and some rocky and sandy structure, along with some LARGE pike, and healthy walleyes. I wish I could be of more help, but thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hope your trip is a good one. If memory serves me correct Christopherson’s bait in Alex always had the lowdown on whats happening in the area.

dave

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Welcome aboard! You will like it here.

I only fished Lake Mary once with a friend who lives in that area. In mid-summer he only uses a Lindy Rig setup with a small (1/8 oz?) sliding sinker, 6 foot leader, small hook, and a pumped up nightcrawler trolling or difting slowly along weedlines. If I remember correctly, we had our best luck by the channel but I couldn’t tell you the depth as he was running the boat. The walleyes were running small that day, 10-14″, but he said there are larger ones in there. If you are interested in an evening/night bite, trailer the boat over to Lake Reno. Probably a chance for larger walleyes over there fishing with lighted bobbers and leeches.

Not much info but hope it helps. I’m sure there will be others chiming in here also.

Paul Hanlon
    Roseville, Minnesota

I think dad has reservations at the Elmwood resort on the West side of the lake.

Thank you everyone for the responses so far.

TRZ
    St.paul

the walleye bite will be mostly at night, cranks are a good bet in the channel and on the big point. be patient the bite may start late into the night, AM hours. sunfish can be had on the edges of the reeds, look around and you’ll find some. pike are very small, not really worth fishing for.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Mary is one of the most under-rated walleye lakes in the state. The bite can very however. I used to do really good on the long rock point on the SW end of the lake. Use lindy’s on the northend of the point during the day and bobber fish the tip of the point if there is some wind blowing.

brad_gravenhof
    Rochester MN

We stayed at a resort on the west side three years in a row.
    About that time of the year also.I always had pretty good luck at the very end of that bar your talking about. Theres a SMALL deep hole on the end off that, kind off a hook, try that later at night with leeches on a Lindy rig Also right out in front of the resort your staying at, caught quite a few on a Lindy rig there also,leeches &crawlers. Oh, and on the east side , out infront of Eden Acres has also been Allright in the past, around 18 ft.
    Hope this helps!! Good Luck!! Great Lake !!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.