Alaska Trip

• MNBOWHUNTIN

We are contemplating a trip to Alaska, early to mid June.

Hoping to do some Halibut and Salmon fishing, probably 2 full days of fishing total.

Has anybody gone? Recommended charters or towns to go out of?

How about some areas or other places to sight see while we are up there?

Thanks

onestout
    Hudson, WI

We went a couple years ago and may be back next summer. Salmon fishing in the rivers is a mess right now, commercial guys and sportsman fighting over the allowed catches….think Mille Lacs. That is not a good time for the Salmon either….IMO, skip the salmon fishing, you may be very disappointed. Halibut is a great time, find a charter that launches from deep creek, short run to the fishing grounds and the ocean trailer launch is an experience. The best thong we did was a canyon trout fishing trip, it goes from cooper landing to Skilak lake, best trip ever, a bit expensive but well worth it. We rented a house on the river near Soldotna. If you want names of the people I used PM me and I can look them up. Typicallu mid to late June is as early as you want to go, look at the open dates and keep in touch with your guides.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I went mid august; great times! A few highlights.
    1. We did halibut out of valdez with valdez outfitters. All 6 of us got a 50lb+ halibut with plenty of other fish mixed in. I don’t have a lot to compare it to, but I’d recommend them, especially for trying to target bigger halibut.

2. We drove the denali highway. Awesome scenery and basically every stream off the side of that road is loaded with grayling. Awesome eating fish too.

3. We went at a time of year where you could fish some some streams for end of the run sockeye and beginning of the year silvers. We also drifted down the kenai from copper landing through the canyon. Got a few trout but crushed the sockeyes. I got my limit (3) in about 45 minutes. My advice your time of year is do some research to find the best king runs. I know overall king salmon are way down in numbers and it is somewhat of a mille lacs situation for kings. Not so much for the other salmon that run later in the year.

MNBOWHUNTIN

We are limited to that time because of some other obligations in the summer.

Halibut will be #1 priority I think, but a river float would be awesome too. If anybody feels strongly about a particular outfitter, feel free to PM me.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Greatland guide service ninilchic ak on way to Homer spit I caught many over 100 lbs biggest 242 guides name is Alan goins been on his boat 5 times

thegun
    mn

Valdez AK. You can rent a boat take it out Yourself. Rent all your gear for whatever type fishing you wanna do. Explore glaicers. Sight see etc.

We did this this summer going again next summer.

Head down seaward hwy go see homer. Whitier ak there is a 2.5 mile tunnel three a mountain to get into town.

Take a farry from seaward to Valdez. Then Head up around north back to Anchorage.

You’ll need to book the farry now since they fill up. And none will be available if you wait..

Rent RV on outdoorsy.com. Best prices

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.