Chequamegon Bay

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Here I am again way behind in posting. Will catch up to tomorrows guide trip anyway. First, a quick update on what is going on. The weather has been the main story. I have had to cancel at least 5 trips so far due to high winds or storms. Luckily we have been able to get out on the bay within a week later. The spawn is in full swing with most fish being caught having “spawning tails” and noticeably being hooked a few times. Water temps are in the mid 60’s to low 70’s. Kakagon has been very dirty the past week so I havent ventured in there. There is also alot of weed growth already taking place. Fish are spawning all over Sandcut from around Oak point all the way up inside. I have seen the most dead smallies I have ever seen this year. Not large numbers but enough to make me upset. I do not like to tell others how to fish but I witnessed the ‘killings” with my own eyes. Fishermen using ultralight and very light action rods fighting the smallies for 10 to 20 min at a time. The fish are stressed enough from the spawn and just cannot handle the long fight in warm water. You need to use tackle that can handle the fish and be able to land them within a reasonable time. Also saw a fisherman hoisting his bass into the bottom of his boat crashing them onto the floor and then telling me “isnt this fun??” All I could say was “yeah and that is really good for the fish”. Ok, that is enough on lecturing taking care of the fish. Following posts are since my last post with Tim and Jeff Schutts.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.