Slough

• bluffhunter

Has anyone been out recently for smallies in the slough’s; wondering on water temps with warm stretch having now?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Kakagon was decimated by the big west winds and muddied over last spring. No boats there all season…I doubt it will be the same unless there is a terrific ESE blow to clean it out.
    The Bay is still cold, shouldn’t be long though… Year in Year out its hard to beat late May early June for pre spawn. I’ll be there the 4th-7th…

These are a few from last June… Cant wait!

jdccory
    Lake Superior

bluffhunter,

On Sunday morning the water was 58 degrees in Sand Cut and we caught some fish. The last time I was in Kakagon was a couple weeks ago and the water was 57 and muddy, as Tom said. I’m sure Kakagon is at least 60 by now. The water in Sand Cut was still a little murky, probably 3-5′ visibility.
    jdc

tom_gursky

Checked with the Red Rock Inn today…the water hit 60 degrees the past couple days with the hot weather. The report is the Spawners have come in and out like crazy the past few days… Reports have males sitting beds already…meaning we are already heading into post spawn.
    They are getting some serious storms right now so “who knows”??? 52 mph west winds will really screw up Kakagon more and affect Sandcut… Well…I have 9 days for the Bay to clear up… Dont think we’ll be working jerkbaits this year…

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m trying to get a trip in next week. Hopefully there will still be some big females on beds. I’m sure some of them are already done, but with the number of fish in that system, I would guess more will be moving up. We went two years ago and absolutely whaled on them. Caught a few with tags in them, and sent the info to the WI DNR and they gave us the whole history of the fish.

tom_gursky

I hope you are right. Yesterday the guys that came back did poorly fishing shallow They figured the spawn was pretty muchdone. The guides were working deep water post spawn patterns.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.