6.5 Creedmoor

• Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Thinking this may be my next toy when comparing the other 6.5`s….6.5 Grendal, 260 Remington I think the 6.5 Creedmoor fills the itch. Less recoil then the 260 Remington, easier availability of reloading supplies especially brass, less recoil, longer barrel life ( some say ), and cheaper to reload. I would give up about 100FPS over the 260.

6.5 Grendal I do like the idea of using an AR15 platform but the weight adds up quick close to 10-11+ plus lbs for a carry way more then I want to heft around. Harder to get brass for the Grendal and expensive.

What are your thoughts.

Fisherpaul

I’m Working on the 6.5 G upper for my AR currently. I shot a friends and liked it for deer hunting. It is going to be bare bones though. Plain M-4 upper with open sights being the area I hunt here is brushy. I wanted more know down then a 5.56. I only use a 10 round mag with 5 rounds loaded for hunting deer also though. to cut the weight. A can’t say much as to the expense of re-loading this round as I have a steady supply for these though a friend for brass and bullets.

If you’d like to cut some weight. And don’t need a heavy long barrel. You could buy a lower receiver for say DPMS’ Carbon 15 so It’s a composite lower. Then ad a light weight M-4 style barrel in 16 inch length or if you wanted a bit heavier. A fluted heavy barrel also will cut weight. Then use smaller mags. IF you want a better trigger add a JP two-stage match trigger or LaRue Tactical company MBT two stage trigger. I haven’t got to try the LaRue yet but have heard good things from people.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

6.5 Creedmoor is certainly an interesting cartridge, but of course the question is does it work for your needs? What’s the game plan for this rifle? Paper punching, deer, pronghorn, coyotes (damn the fur, full speed ahead)?

Barrel life is almost irrelevant for the vast majority of hunters and shooters. Out of the dozens of friends, relatives, and acquaintances of mine that hunt and shoot, I’m the only one who has ever worn out a barrel and that’s strictly because of varmint shooting. Maybe you’d shoot it that much, but my shoulder hurts just thinking of the pounding you’d have to be willing to take to shoot a >.25 caliber cartridge enough to wear out a barrel.

Lots of options in the .25 to .26 space including the new .26 Nosler, which I predict will be seeing major adoption in the next 5 years. Also, there’s some seriously under-considered old school options out there like the breathtaking .257 Weatherby Magnum. Not for the recoil-adverse casual plinker, but horses for courses.

Grouse

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

My Savage 10 Predator Max in 6.5 Creed should be arriving soon!

I think your comment on availability of reloading and ammo supplies might be a bit off however. The 260 has almost double the offerings accross the board. And with the 260 and 6.5 creed being almost identical in ballistics and pressures, I don’t see how the recoil could be that much different between the two.

Hopefully the Savage chamber isn’t tight like some I’ve heard. Would hate to have to rebarrel a new rifle.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If someone does not reload the Creed is way cheaper to shoot when looking at prices for 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor. You can buy match grade 6.5`s for roughly $24.00 a box and when looking at the 260 they are $35.00 plus and they are just hunting rounds. Hornady also puts what powder how many grains, and bullet. So there is a very excellent base for reloaders and many Matches have ben won with Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor over the counter loads.

The 30 degree shoulder of the Creed means less trimming and what I have read about the 260 it is ( supposedly ) notorious for having to be trimmed more then the Creedmoor. Which in my eyes means casing life is cut shorter. The shorter casing of the 6.5 Creedmoor lets you seat bullets deeper into the cartridge or farther out, still use the standard short action magazines with out the compromise of the 260 which ends up with the bullet to far into the case and can develop extreme pressures. Everything I have read about the Creedmoor says it is just a more efficient cartridge because of the casing design. Less powder with close to same velocity`s giving up about 100FPS.

It is tidbits to tidbits hopefully it will be a fun road to go down.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

The ability to fit the magazine is the exact reason I opted for the 6.5 creed.

I have read some discussions stating that the recipe printed on the Hornady Match ammo may not be the exact recipe. Some reloaders stating that when duplicated, it doesn’t provide the same velocities as the store bought version. Some have also stated, that in some Savage 12 chambers (being to tight) the Match ammo has produced high pressure signs (cratered or blown primers). This however, seems to be a Savage problem.

I really don’t think the the creed gives up much of anything. Especially if loaded with the 140’s, which is where the efficient case design shines. I’ve read alot of banter about the longer case neck allowing the 140’s to be seated farther out, increasing room for powder and at the same time keeping pressures in spec. Also the same reason you start hearing more about 260AI’s since the only way for the 260 to perform better with the 140 VLDs is to change it’s case.
    Perhaps the 260 will outperform with the lighter for caliber bullets, but when it comes to 140s, the creed has the upper hand.

I also considered the 6.5×284 and just loading for about 2800fps from a 24″. Save on the barrel and brass. But there was also talk of rebarreling the 30-06 to a 6.5-06.

Lots of roads, same destination.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.