2024 NFL Offseason

• CaptainMusky

Ben Leber will be fun to listen on KFAN if it happens. I’m not a fan of Russ but Leber is on a whole different level with him.

Im a big fan of Leber and in his same camp.

CaptainMusky

I know Cousins will go through the motions, but he is also at a stage in his career where I would think he would want to be competitive the last few years and there really isnt much in Atlanta to do that. He has the weapons here as long as they stay healthy. They would have been a playoff team if Cousins and JJ didnt get hurt. They are not far away from being a strong playoff team.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you’re a RB knowing that in the 2nd or 3rd year of the contact, whatever year, a team won’t be paying you 17 million a year for a RB, why sign the contract?

That’s not how the contracts are setup initially, they get there by moving money around and renegotiating mid-contract term. Usually the player ends up with more guaranteed money on the front end in exchange for moving money to the backend of the contract that no one expects the team to honor when the time comes.

KP
    Hudson, WI

there really isnt much in Atlanta to do that

Atlanta isn’t as bad as you think. They have some young studs at RB, WR, TE and a great O-line. Not sure on how well their D was last year. I’m a fan of Cousins and think he gets too much hate from Viking fans. So will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not sure on how well their D was last year.

11th in yards/game and 18 in scoring defense. Atlanta has some talent, better RB, worse WR and TE. Everyone loves Pitts, but it’s put up or shut up time in his career and even if he puts up, it’s TBD if he is on Hockenson’s level of production. Plus a whole new system, staff, facility and uprooting the family again. So basically will come down to money. Weird. rotflol If Atlanta pays top of the market rates for 3+ years I expect him to go there, if not he comes back here. Sounds like the Vikings have made their last and best offer, so it’s in Kirk’s court now.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^Agreed.

Atlanta isn’t the most talented roster in football, but it is far from the worst and has some young weapons.

Of the teams looking for a starting QB to step in immediately, Atlanta is far and away the best option to win now in a bad division. It would not shock me to see Atlanta win that division if Kirk was signed.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Mr Unlimited going to the Steelers, thankfully!

Chris Jones resigned w/ KC 5 years $160M contract, which is really 3 years w $95M guaranteed. (Danielle Hunter loves to see it!)

Jerry Jeudy to Cleveland for a 5th, 6th and a slightly used Yeti mug.

Mac Jones to Jax for a 6th rounder and some leftover shrimp.

Baker Mayfield resigned w/ TB for 3 year $100M. (Kirk loves to see it!)

Kirk will have an announcement by the end of the week, most likely Wednesday.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I think we will know today where Kirk will be going.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

I think we will know today where Kirk will be going.

Probably, I just said Wednesday since that is when FA’s can legally sign a new contract elsewhere. Also, it is likely he leaves as he would have already resigned here if that was the plan.

KP
    Hudson, WI

The thing that annoys me about the NFL free agency is how there already has been a ton of announcements where players are going like Wilson to the Steelers or how they report this player is most likely to sign here.

I am a little disappointed Russ didn’t sign with the Vikes because that would have been hilarious to see to listen to Leber commentating on him.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The thing that annoys me about the NFL free agency is how there already has been a ton of announcements where players are going like Wilson to the Steelers or how they report this player is most likely to sign here.

Yeah Wilson even posted it on social media prior to FA legal tampering period being open. And that term is obviously not needed anymore, since it clearly starts before the “legally tampering” period and most free agency is decided and done before FA actually opens on Wednesday.

Vikes signed Jonathon Greenard from the Texans for 4 years $72M (EDIT: $42M guaranteed) so Danielle’s day’s are done here I think it’s safe to say.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Kirk is a Falcon, 4 years TBD on the money, but I’d bet on around $180-200M with most of it guaranteed.

Packers signed Josh Jacobs. Which to me says Aaron Jones is gone, but apparently they might still keep him and have 2 stud RB’s.

Ripjiggen

Running backs signing quickly. Barkley to Eagles.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

D’Andre Swift to the Bears.

Ripjiggen

Pollard to Titans and Jacob’s to Pack.

Ripjiggen

Running back carousel is kind of wild. Just keeps going round and round.
    Ekler to Washington.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Packers pick up Jacobs who is younger and likely more durable than Jones. I don’t mind it considering Jones was more injury prone this year and clearly wasn’t caving too much on the restructuring plans from the front office

They also pick up McKinney as the top free agent safety available in the league.

Bahktiari is cut, which was months in the making and a foregone conclusion.

The Packers may not be a SB caliber roster, but they just got better today AND didn’t get any “older” either with the free agent pickups. Hard to argue with that.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Packers pick up Jacobs who is younger and likely more durable than Jones.

You hope. And they are paying Jacobs WAY more than Jones is getting here. After looking at Jacobs contract it makes less and less sense. Basically Jacobs is getting a $12.5M signing bonus, which works out to $14m his first year, and $10m+ per year moving forward. Aaron Jones got 1 year $7m here.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/the-josh-jacobs-contract-is-a-one-year-deal-with-three-one-year-options/ar-BB1jJsK2

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not sure I understand the Steelers picking up DangerRuss Wilson and Justin “Should be a WR” Fields, but the price was right on both, and I’m sure Tomlin will have them competing. Meanwhile they got more for Pickett than they paid for those 2, so I guess they are playing w/ house money.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My understanding is that Fields rejected FOUR trades to other teams before agreeing to go to the Steelers.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My understanding is that Fields rejected FOUR trades to other teams before agreeing to go to the Steelers.

well…..at least he wont be a threat to the Vikings 2 times a season!!!! coffee devil rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You never know with these stories, but I can promise you none of those 4 teams were offering much more than a 6th in return! Otherwise Poles would have taken it.

CaptainMusky

Anyone know the pts value for picks when considering a trade up or back scenario?

CaptainMusky

Thanks Werm! I was thinking it might take more than that, but we will see. They did “overpay” a bit to get that second first round pick.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I guess we weren’t the only ones surprised by the Packers cutting Jones, “It kind of caught me off guard, to be honest with you,” Matt LaFleur said, via the Wisconsin State Journal. “There were some other things in play, obviously with Aaron Jones, and I didn’t quite know how everything was going to go. It just happened really fast on that Monday.”

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I guess we weren’t the only ones surprised by the Packers cutting Jones, “It kind of caught me off guard, to be honest with you,” Matt LaFleur said, via the Wisconsin State Journal. “There were some other things in play, obviously with Aaron Jones, and I didn’t quite know how everything was going to go. It just happened really fast on that Monday.”

Jones’ cap hit was OVER $17 million for the upcoming season. There was an exact 0% chance that was going to be just passed off and not reexamined following his nagging injuries and the overall financial standing in relation to the cap. The front office and Lafleur kept saying “he will be back”, but in saying so assumed negotiations would be a factor. It sounds like Jones’ camp balked at being asked to take a pay cut for the second consecutive season and stood firm – effectively leaving them no choice but to cut him. The lack of negotiating likely DID take Lafleur by surprise as he publicly stated.

Aaron Jones is a great player, but he isn’t worth $17 million against the cap in today’s NFL. The Packers didn’t think so either. The Vikings wouldn’t have signed him at that number either – nor would any team in the NFL.

I do think he has some left in the tank. I do not think he is a 20+ touch per game guy for an entire season. My guess is the Vikings will treat him similar to how the Pack did with a timeshare evolving into more and more carries as it gets into crunch time late in the season and at key parts of games.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Aaron Jones is a great player, but he isn’t worth $17 million against the cap in today’s NFL. The Packers didn’t think so either. The Vikings wouldn’t have signed him at that number either – nor would any team in the NFL.

Yeah, no one is saying they expected the Packers to retain him on his current deal. But to act like that is outrageous and then turn around and pay Jacobs $14M (highest cash payout to RB next year, and top 5 annually pay), double what Jones got on the open market and surprise the coach by cutting Jones, doesn’t really speak to the traditional “Packers way”. Or make a lot of sense to anyone watching NFL football.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The traditional “Packers Way” is evolving for sure. It seems more shrewd and fiscally responsible with less guaranteed money and a constant push to stay younger at key positions. Who knows if that will pay off or not?

I didn’t love the Jacobs signing at first glance for the money, but then when you look deeper it’s only the 10th highest cap hit in the league for a RB next season, and only $12.5 million of the $48 million is actually guaranteed in the next 4 years…he’s effectively on a year-to-year basis with the possiblity of being cut. It’s far from backing up the Brinks truck with guaranteed money the way some think. If I’m Jacobs, I wouldn’t necessarily buy multiple properties in GB. I’ll set the over/under at 2.5 seasons in GB for him…mainly pending his health.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.