2023 Vikings

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

A buddy of mine just suggested that the Netflix doc they should be working on now should be “Running Back” and following a few select backs through the absolute bottoming-out of their market in the league.

That’s a good idea. It’s crazy! They are going to need to do something, I saw a stat the average RB pay is less than the average Kickers…

Dan
    Southeast MN

A buddy of mine just suggested that the Netflix doc they should be working on now should be “Running Back” and following a few select backs through the absolute bottoming-out of their market in the league.

That would be interesting. I don’t know if the one-season “QB” show would work, it would probably be better to do a series leading up to the current state of the RB position. It could feature the stories of Cook, Kamara, Pollard, Fournette, Ekeler, etc. and show how sought-after they were, how valuable they’ve been, and ultimately how little demand for them there is now. I read an interesting article about how there’s plenty of WR3’s on teams right now making more money than Ekeler, who has out-touched, out-gained, and out-scored all of them. Cook himself is likely finding out there’s just no teams willing to pay even close to what he’s asking, if anything I could see teams waiting for a training camp or early-season injury and making the call to his agent.

Dan
    Southeast MN

That’s a good idea. It’s crazy! They are going to need to do something, I saw a stat the average RB pay is less than the average Kickers…

You were working on your reply the same time I was with mine. That’s crazy stuff man. I’ve seen guys like Derrick Henry comment publicly about how RB’s contribute heavily and get beat up on their rookie contracts and then get discarded. It’s a tough pill to swallow but it’s reflective of 1. A pass-oriented NFL and 2. Capitalism at work in the NFL. Another interesting number I saw was how, going back to 2013, no Super Bowl Champion has had an RB1 making more than like $3 million or something like that. And that’s most likely due to most SB champs having a decent or great passing offense and a decent-enough RB in place.

It’s just the way things are going. I strongly question the two teams that took RB’s in the first round this past draft. The numbers/data just don’t add up for drafting an RB in the first round. The salary they’re slotted for as a first-round pick pays them higher than what their value likely is or should be, whereas if you get a stud WR or D-Lineman you’re likely paying below value.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I strongly question the two teams that took RB’s in the first round this past draft. The numbers/data just don’t add up for drafting an RB in the first round. The salary they’re slotted for as a first-round pick pays them higher than what their value likely is or should be, whereas if you get a stud WR or D-Lineman you’re likely paying below value

Agreed. The other major factor is the increased talent level (aka supply) to a steady or even decreasing demand as teams run less, like when we resigned Dalvin to his big contract that the Vikes just cut to get out of, Mattison was a fraction of the cost and 85-95% of the production. That was a dumb contract, as the math just doesn’t work out. But the same will apply to WR’s soon too, if you can get 85-95% of JJ/Hill/Kupp/Adams production out of the KJ’s of the world that market will dry up too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pollard, Jacobs, and Barkley were all slapped with the franchise tag yesterday by their respective teams after failed attempts at negotiating new contracts. They are all slated to play the upcoming season on a 1 year, fully guaranteed $10.1 million deal.

Barkley has openly already made the threat of sitting out the entire season. Le’Veon Bell tried this in 2018 and sat out the entire season, only to sign the following year with the Jets, earning a 4 year/$52 mil contract. The problem was that he was never the same feature back or high quality player he was after he sat out, and was released just a year and a half into that contract. I could see a similar result with Barkley given his history of injuries.

Dalvin Cook and Ezekial Elliott both remain free agents.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Most teams have 1 FG kicker and they play EVERY GAME and can cost you a game singlehandedly easily… most teams carry 5 backs and some more… only 1 or 2, maybe 3 typically play in a game, so your comparing one guys salary who plays every game and the average of 5 guys, that 2 or 3 ride the pines unless people get hurt. I get it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

RB’s are 1.7M average, Punters are 1.5M, Kickers 2.1M and Long Snappers 1M. Left Tackle actually leads the list at 8.9M. Most RB’s play special teams too, there aren’t too many players on the active roster that don’t play. The QB # of 4.8M was a little surprising, but I’d assume that’s due to 3rd stringers bringing it down, like the 5th/6th/7th WR’s and CB’s.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I think it’s interesting to see this all unfold.

I’m somewhat in the corner of owners/GMs on the topic. It’s their right to offer contracts as they see fit. In a hard cap league positions are going to really plateau with their earning potential while others continue to grow. QB contracts aren’t slowing down with todays rules and style of play, while RB value has reached a ceiling for most franchises.

Like any other profession, if you sign a contract then see it through. If you leave a job offer to test the market waters, don’t complain about what you find. If you’re not making what you want, enhance your value by taking better care of your body, becoming a better pass protector, adapting to play in the slot, and so on. If I want a raise at either of my jobs I try to become a better asset while learning more skills or taking on more responsibilities…not assume I would get one because someone at a different company (or team) did.

MX1825

I dont see a loss on the Vikings schedule.

I would not put big money on a VIKING undefeated season. JMO

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Like any other profession, if you sign a contract then see it through.

That is half of the RB’s complaints, they earn the big contract while on a rookie deal, then the team decides it’s not worth paying the RB anymore and cut them and do not see the contract through. Most of them are not asking for raises, but market value free agent contracts or teams to see the contracts they signed thru. Only way it will happen is if more QB’s start getting fully guaranteed money…which isn’t going to happen judging off of how the QB contracts have gone since Watson got his fully guaranteed.

Brittman

Most RB’s best years are within their rookie contract. Agree it is a catch 22 for many, but then again – they do earn life-changing money.

The RB franchise tag is worth a little over $10 million so they are not headed to the soup kitchen quite yet.

Rookie contracts are largely controlled by the NFL. Suppose the NFL could allow RBs to have a larger signing bonus (exception).

The next wave of top end college RBs will also likely have some cushion via their NIL deals in college.

There’s a league-wide limit on the total amount of compensation for rookies with specific salary parameters for each draft slot. Teams have maximum and minimum amounts that can be spent on their picks based on draft position.

All contracts for draft choices are four years. Each pick in the draft has a salary floor and ceiling in the first year and over the four years of the contract. There are very few negotiable items with rookie contracts anymore. The salary components of a deal are restricted to signing bonus, base salary, roster bonus, reporting bonus, workout bonus and select incentives. The type of salary escalators and incentives that used to be responsible for salaries skyrocketing at the top of draft are prohibited under the rookie wage scale. A majority of picks only have signing bonuses and base salaries in their deals.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Most RB’s best years are within their rookie contract….Suppose the NFL could allow RBs to have a larger signing bonus (exception)

Big Cat on Barstool had an intersting idea, that will never happen, for addressing the RB issues. He said exclude them from the draft, and allow the top guys to utilize their market value immediately. This would help both the rookies and vets, as teams would likely sign these mid/late 20’s veterans that they know can play instead of somewhat unknowns among the rookies.

haleysgold
    SE MN

And here we go…hasn’t even stepped on the field yet.

Minnesota Vikings rookie wide receiver Jordan Addison was charged for reckless driving after he was clocked by a state trooper going 140 mph in a Lamborghini on Wednesday night.

According to the Minnesota State Patrol, Addison was driving a Lamborghini Urus eastbound on Interstate 94 near Dale Street in St. Paul when he was stopped by a state trooper around 3 a.m. Thursday.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

140 mph on I-94 near downtown St Paul?! C’mon man

Dan
    Southeast MN

Glad no one was hurt and glad alcohol wasn’t involved. Everyone makes mistakes when they’re young, and he’s had quite a life change and now in the spotlight with a lot of money.

Having said that, also a very stupid thing to do. Look no further than Henry Ruggs’ incident (not apples to apples but also some similarities). If I had millions coming my way I’d try and be on my best behavior at least until that first game check hits my account. He’s got an opportunity to use his new platform to turn this into a positive.

Ripjiggen

That’s a stretch that I usually let my Lambo eat to. It happens.

Can’t imagine the dumb poop I would have done at 21 if I had a bunch of cash.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This guy has “Troy Williamson” like speed.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    Like any other profession, if you sign a contract then see it through.

That is half of the RB’s complaints, they earn the big contract while on a rookie deal, then the team decides it’s not worth paying the RB anymore and cut them and do not see the contract through. Most of them are not asking for raises, but market value free agent contracts or teams to see the contracts they signed thru. Only way it will happen is if more QB’s start getting fully guaranteed money…which isn’t going to happen judging off of how the QB contracts have gone since Watson got his fully guaranteed.

They are seeing what market value free agency gets them though. Cook is seeing it. Joe Mixon knew what it was and took a pay cut. I don’t get the anger. If they want $40 million like a QB, tryout for the QB position in camp. I want the millions a year an accomplished surgeon makes. I could attempt 10 more years of education and residencies.

The reality is that guys are going to get cut in a hard capped league the second their cost outweighs production unless contracts are fully guaranteed. Teams are way more likely to overpay with minimal guaranteed money and essentially evaluate their roster spot on a year to year basis. The NFL is going to start dialing back guarantees on any injury prone position (like RB) as each team is a business first and foremost.

There are other options for these young men who feel they are being taken advantage of for $10 million a year. Nobody is forcing guys to play in the NFL. Try the Canadian or arena league. Get your players union to revisit the franchise tag clause in the CBA. Promote yourself and take in endorsement revenue. Invest the $10 million a year and vow not to touch it for 10-15 years and see where it gets you when you’re retired for life by age 35.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

There’s no way he can be as bad as Troy Williamson.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They are seeing what market value free agency gets them though. Cook is seeing it. Joe Mixon knew what it was and took a pay cut. I don’t get the anger.

I was just addressing your see the contract thru comment, that is a one way street and due to how short NFL careers are the NFLPA will never have the leverage needed to get fully guaranteed contracts.

The RB’s are angry because their contracts are diminishing while everyone else’s booming, and their actual on field production isn’t valued even remotely closely to other positions. AP is the only NFL RB to ever earn over $100M and McCaffery is the only one even remotely on pace to join that club. There will be 40 QB’s who have earned over $100M by the end of this season, topped by Brady at over $300M. And 6 WR’s right now in the $100M club, with dozens more going to join the club in the next couple years. Over a dozen tackles, dozen CBs, and dozen edge rushers have joined the $100M club, and dozens and dozens more will soon. I’m not, and no one is, starting a soup kitchen for these guys, just pointing out an obvious discrepancy in a premier positions pay decreasing, while everyone elses is jumping to a whole new stratosphere, including the owners. The Washington WTF’s (as I like to call them) just sold today for $6.05B, with facilities from the 80’s, no QB or star players.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Dalvin might be unsigned for quite some time

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2118.png

CaptainMusky

Is that new Bucky or is it based off the video released last year that has been proven to be blown out of proportion and he didnt do anything?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^same situation, just more court filing details were revealed now that list the alleged assault details as well as the confirmed proposed payment

It has been stated as fact that Cook offered her $800k to clear his name, then $1 million and the accuser turned down that offer too.

He’s played it as “he’s holding the cards and not taking a low offer.” I think Dalvin might not have cards to play at all

CaptainMusky

Its far too often that these athletes get into situations like this. Mostly its not even their fault and they end up paying out huge sums of money. I’ll wait to see how this plays out before placing judgement. From what I saw of the video last year he didnt do anything, but there could have been more or after the video happened.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

First organized practice today at training camp today. Lovely conditions for an outdoor practice this afternoon too. jester

Hunter has reported to camp but there seems to be some disconnect as to whether he’ll be playing on Sept 10 against the Bucs in week 1.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Hunter signed a one year deal today with the Vikings for up to $20 million.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Anyone watch the first preseason game in Seattle on Thursday night? I watched the first half. Chandler looked pretty good as a backup RB.

ThunderLund78

I watched more of it than I care to admit. Chandler was one of the few bright spots and Reagor had a good game but he’s got his work cut-out for him with the receivers on this team– specific situation/special teams guy at best. A couple of the potential O-line starters played a few series and did not look impressive. Mullens had OK numbers, but looked scarcely better than a serviceable back-up, very hurried and panicked in the pocket. And again, the line did him no favors. Hill has a LONG ways to go. All-in-all, it was a first pre-season game. They seem to matter less-and-less as the years go by.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

pre-season games are for proving yourself you belong……

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.