2023 Vikings

• waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

I think they got a good WR, but was a WR their biggest need? I’d say not Hardly. With being one of the worst rated Def. last season I thought that was by far their biggest need. This taking the Best player available has not worked out well for them in the past. The last time that worked out for them was Justin Jefferson. That year they actually needed a WR. I guess we will have to just wait to see if this ends up being a good decision or not. Most sources are giving the Vikings a A grade on the pick. There was not many A grades given in the 1st round.

Its worked better than when we’ve historically taken (reached) specifically for need. Ponder? Treadwell? Elflein?

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I don’t like taking 1st round LB’s, RB’s, or interior OL. There’s just too much depth at those positions that you can get similar or often even better production from later in the draft or FA.

On the defensive side of the ball, the cupboard isn’t as bare as many think. CB’s on roster: Evans and Booth with new acquisitions Joejuan Williams and Byron Murphy. And safety is set with Harrison, Bynum, Metellus and Cine. They need another CB or two and some LB/DL depth guy(s) and decisions to be made on Z and Hunter. But the issue on defense was more scheme than talent last year imo, they still have some talent.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

i was surprised they didnt go with Levis or Hooker. There was so much smoke this offseason around the Vikings taking a QB. Im fine with Addison and he does fill a need. People need to remember that Hockinson is on his 5th year option and hasnt signed any sort of extension yet. If we dont resign Hockinson Addison will step in and fill that short to intermediate option. And as somebody else mentioned we lost Theilen so its not like we were stacked at WR anyway. Osborn is a nice #3 but not a #2 IMO

I was really hoping we could have somehow landed the CB Gonzalez

CaptainMusky
    Participant

There is a reason Levis is still available. We drafted a lot of DBs last year and most were injured so provided they are healthy they dont need to address that.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m not surprised at all the Vikings didn’t go QB. Even with Levis still out there. Yes we have JJ. But after that who do we have? Look at what happened last year when teams blanketed JJ. We lost. Hockenson is our next top pass catcher and KJ is still too inconsistent. Even if we hit with two or three defensive players and they play and contribute, it likely will still be a bottom half defense. Scoring more points always helps.

I like the pick, and hope we get a corner and LB today.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Kwesi comes off so fake to me. he likes to show off big words and phrases then throws in the “collaborate” and “culture” one liners to throw the heat off his decisions. I don’t miss Rick but this guy comes off like such a fraud.

They take a corner in round 3 that could be had later then trade back for more 6 and 7 rounders?

I hope this is the greatest show on turf 2.0

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

First words out of Addison’s mouth were about getting paid. Major red flag there..

Safe to say now that Kwesi’s philosophy is similar to Ricks…build the team from the outside in, rather from the OL/DL on out…not a recipe for success.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Dalvin Cook was released today. I was surprised Kwesi couldn’t find a trade partner, only way this doesn’t look bad for Kwesi imo is if this qualifies for a compensatory pick at least.

Walleye Hungry
    Participant

Hasnt been released yet. Tomorrow it will go through. They can still trade him today.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Hasnt been released yet. Tomorrow it will go through. They can still trade him today.

Correct. Guessing the trade market will be tough the next 12-18 hours waytogo jester

Walleye Hungry
    Participant

Werm i think there may be a chance we see something happen. He wants to play in Miami and Miami wants him. Instead of a team competing in an open market for him in a scenario that doesnt favor them, why wouldnt denver, buffalo, etc offer a trade knowing they wont beat out Miami?

I could be way off here and the likely hood is 99% he is released but maybe we see something happen.

Erik Swenson
    Participant

Article on NFL.com says some trade offers are coming in for Daniele Hunter, as well.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Werm i think there may be a chance we see something happen. He wants to play in Miami and Miami wants him. Instead of a team competing in an open market for him in a scenario that doesnt favor them, why wouldnt denver, buffalo, etc offer a trade knowing they wont beat out Miami?

I could be way off here and the likely hood is 99% he is released but maybe we see something happen.

You maybe right, and the news of his release tomorrow was to get another team to up or finalize their offer. I just don’t get the Miami steam, they resigned Mostert and Wilson along with drafting a RB in the 3rd round, and now they are going to trade for Cook and his massive salary?

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Article on NFL.com says some trade offers are coming in for Daniele Hunter, as well.

Saw that too and wouldn’t be surprised. That guy has gotten some terrible advice over the course of his career, from sitting out to constantly wanting a bigger contract, his choices have derailed a potentially HOF career early on.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Good move for the Vikings. Dalvin is injury prone and expensive. Salary cap issues are real in the league and they need to sign JJ to a contract that will break the bank. Them finding 0 trade suitors shows what the RB position is becoming. When you look at many of the top teams (Chiefs, Bills, Eagles) they don’t have top tier paid RBs. The only real exception is now the 49ers, who one could easily argue he plays in the slot a lot and is a NFL caliber WR besides his RB abilities.

Matt Vogel
    Participant

only way this doesn’t look bad for Kwesi imo is if this qualifies for a compensatory pick at least.

I disagree, I think it shows several great things. He is smart with the financials, both short term and long term. He is big picture, wanting to compete but also planning for future years (see impending JJ contract). And he is willing to make tough decisions for the better of the team, regardless if he will get some fan blowback.

Cook was still good last year, but he his best consistant injury-free years are behind him. It is not an RB league anymore, spend your money elsewhere. Drop him like he’s hot and get that cap room back.

Bass Pundit
    Participant
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

It’s too bad Kwesi wasn’t able to swing a trade for Cook, but I’m guessing what he wanted or was willing to do and what was possible were in conflict.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Why trade for him and pay him like the 3rd best running back in the league when you can sign for nothing and pay him like the 10th-20th.

Bass Pundit
    Participant
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Why trade for him and pay him like the 3rd best running back in the league when you can sign for nothing and pay him like the 10th-20th.

If Cook chooses to play for a team other than yours, you are sol. That’s why.

I wish Cook well and hope his injury issues are behind him. I figure he has 1, possibly 2 seasons to be an elite back.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Nobody was going to take that contract on.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

“Revived” from June.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I dont see a loss on the Vikings schedule.

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

First Pre Season game in 17 days. Kinda crazy. (Hall of Fame Game)

CaptainMusky
    Participant

First Pre Season game in 17 days. Kinda crazy. (Hall of Fame Game)

Sheesh that is right around the corner!

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The Patriots have now emerged as the top team that is most likely to sign Dalvin Cook.

Ezekial Elliott remains unsigned, and as of right now so does Saquon Barkley. Barkley turned down a $13 mil/year contract with $19.5 mil guaranteed already to re-sign with the NY Giants. If they cannot reach a deal today, they will place the franchise tag on him this season.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

The Patriots were the odds on favorite for Hopkins too, we will see how that goes.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

The Patriots have now emerged as the top team that is most likely to sign Dalvin Cook.

Ezekial Elliott remains unsigned, and as of right now so does Saquon Barkley. Barkley turned down a $13 mil/year contract with $19.5 mil guaranteed already to re-sign with the NY Giants. If they cannot reach a deal today, they will place the franchise tag on him this season.

Zeke Elliot is done, he should take whatever (little) guaranteed money he can get and be thankful. Saquon’s contract situation has been a dark cloud for a while, I’d be surprised if he was signed long term this offseason. If he can stay healthy on the franchise tag, then he MIGHT get paid, but even that is going to be at a lesser rate. RB’s just don’t justify it anymore, too much injury risk and too much supply of serviceable RBs.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I agree on the RBs, Barkley should have taken $13 mil/year and $19.5 mil guaranteed when that offer was given to him.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

A buddy of mine just suggested that the Netflix doc they should be working on now should be “Running Back” and following a few select backs through the absolute bottoming-out of their market in the league.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.