2023 Vikings

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Before they all got hurt I think they were 9th or 10th in the league according to some ranking systems. Then O’neill got hurt, Derrisaw missed some time. Then it all fell apart.

I’m more worried about the D line honestly. We couldn’t get a pressure without blitzing for the past two seasons. At the end of the season teams figured out Flores’ smoke and mirrors and we couldn’t get to the QB even when blitzing and we got torched for the last 4 weeks of the season. We sign JJ and Kirk, Hunter is not affordable. I want a can’t miss D lineman first round. Maybe another one second round even.

Ripjiggen

^^^I am cool with that.
    Not sure there is such a thing as a can’t miss edge guy where they are picking, but best defensive player at any position I would be cool with.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

^^^I am cool with that.
    Not sure there is such a thing as a can’t miss edge guy where they are picking, but best defensive player at any position I would be cool with.

I would agree with you on that but I swear every year it seems like the teams that draft the top few defensive lineman are always rewarded with future monsters. AND with the amount of QB’s that are going to go in the top ten this year we might be able to pluck one of those top linemen at 11.

Ripjiggen

For sure. I think 3 QB’s go top ten and there are 2 beast offensive tackles that I think go and Harrison Jr.
    After that there are some good D lineman and CB that should be right there for the taking.

So much can change for the vikes depending on what they do at QB.

Dan
    Southeast MN

For sure. I think 3 QB’s go top ten and there are 2 beast offensive tackles that I think go and Harrison Jr.
    After that there are some good D lineman and CB that should be right there for the taking.

So much can change for the vikes depending on what they do at QB.

I was gonna type the same thing. Pick 11 isn’t extremely high but as you describe, there could be 6 or more picks before them that go offense. So the Vikes legit have a chance to get the #1 overall at a defensive position.

This would never happen, but it would be fun to see some collusion with Kirk around draft time. There’s dead money for him if he’s not on the team after mid-March or something like that, and with a new contract that can be mitigated. So get Kirk to sign an extension but don’t make it public and make the league think he’s gonna be a FA and we NEED a QB. Would give us much more leverage if someone wants to move up ahead of others to get a QB

CaptainMusky

So get Kirk to sign an extension but don’t make it public and make the league think he’s gonna be a FA and we NEED a QB. Would give us much more leverage if someone wants to move up ahead of others to get a QB

Im pretty sure there would be penalties for doing such a thing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

So its now 2024 – Maybe a new 2024 Vikings post should be started. But I will post here. Should the Vikings Release Harrison Smith? I see releasing him Outright would save 11.4 Million off the salary cap. If done post June 1st it will be 15.3 Million. I know he’s been a great leader on the team but that is a ton of money on a aged player.

Tlazer

Read on MSN where Cousins has said if Belichick get the HC job at Atlanta, he wouldn’t mind playing for a HOF coach. Plus I guess is wife is also from the area and has family there.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

He didn’t say “He”, he said, “who wouldn’t want to play for a HOF coach.”

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

So its now 2024 – Maybe a new 2024 Vikings post should be started. But I will post here. Should the Vikings Release Harrison Smith? I see releasing him Outright would save 11.4 Million off the salary cap. If done post June 1st it will be 15.3 Million. I know he’s been a great leader on the team but that is a ton of money on a aged player.

There will likely be a back and forth. There’s a 0% chance he comes back as is at his current cap number. Although he doesn’t impact the game nearly the same way he used to, he’s still a starting NFL caliber safety. Flores needs someone with experience both on the field and in the locker room. I think when given the ultimatum of being cut or taking less, he comes back for substantially less.

Tlazer

He didn’t say “He”, he said, “who wouldn’t want to play for a HOF coach.”

Wouldn’t Cousins also be included in the “who”? Another team actively pursuing Cousins could raise the price for his next contract. Just guessing that Belichick at his age just wants to surpass Shula’s win record, so I would think he would possibly want an established QB to try and win now as opposed to building for the future. Could possibly make it harder to resign him, or at least more costly.

Ripjiggen

You don’t honestly think he holds clout now at his age. Working with kids who some dont even know who he is? He has won how many games since Brady left? Has drafted how many pro bowlers since?
    Not saying Kirk wouldn’t go there but it’s a huge if…if he does then I guess it’s makes the vikes decision that much easier.

Tlazer

You’re way off base if you honestly believe that there are players in the NFL who don’t know who Belichick is? Really? You can’t, well maybe you can be that ######. This is probably Kirk’s last big payday, so there is no way that going there is a big if. I would think knowing that this could be his last big payday, one would think money would play a big factor in his decision. The reality is I’m sure he would like to play in the SB, and Atlanta has as good if not better chance than the Vikings. So how many pro bowlers have the Vikings drafted lately other than Jefferson?

Ripjiggen

^^^^ well this aged well. jester
    I guess we can cross of a Belichick and Cousins leading Atlanta to a Super Bowl.
    ######=badas# if so thanks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

BetOnline, as then reported by SI and a few other outlets have THE Minnesota Vikings as the best odds to land Russell Wilson for next season.

There is actually some truth to this. He could be available for a measly 1.2 million next season.

“The buzz now is that it will take $90 million guaranteed for two years, despite that he’s still not yet fully recovered from Achilles surgery in November, to sign free agent QB Kirk Cousins. If that’s the case, he certainly won’t get that from the Vikings.

It’s not far-fetched that the Vikings would consider, for financial reasons, Russell Wilson as their bridge QB next season if they draft a QB with their No. 11 pick in April. The Broncos are expected to cut Wilson, 35, who if he’s on the roster next March, his 2025 salary of $37 million becomes guaranteed. His $37 million deal for next season already is guaranteed by Denver.

But if the Vikings are interested in Wilson, his 2024 contract has a salary off-set, meaning he would cost only the NFL veteran minimum of $1.2 million with incentives. The Broncos would owe the rest.”

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I want NO part of Russell Wilson.

Lol but 1.2 mil/season is dirt cheap. Not sure the Vikings can afford 90 mil for Cousins.

Mr Unlimited!

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    I want NO part of Russell Wilson.

Lol but 1.2 mil/season is dirt cheap. Not sure the Vikings can afford 90 mil for Cousins.

Mr Unlimited!

What team can? Or will?
    Why wouldn’t Cousins initial ask be that much. Doesn’t mean he is going to get it. In Every negotiation there is 2 starting points. A low and a high.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I really thought Kirk to San Fran was happening if the 9ers lost, but once they made the SB that went out the window imo. I’d take 2 more years of Kirk, ideally closer to $80M guaranteed, but would do $90M. And draft a rookie to sit for a year or two. Salary cap is increasing by approx $16M next year, and let’s be honest it barely exists as is. BTW remember when everyone lost their mind they were paying Kirk $28M/year starting in 2018?!? $28M/year for a QB now would be 18th highest paid QB during the 2023 season, and likely to get jumped numerous times this offseason.

Only way I want Russell Wilson in purple is at $1.2M and to tank for a full reset and rebuild. Like if we miss out on the QB we want in this draft. However, free agency comes before the draft so that should already be sorted by draft time.

Dan
    Southeast MN

As the quoted article states, this is “the buzz” and nothing that has actually come out of Cousins’ camp. I do think it’s both fair and reasonable depending on the team. $90 million over two years gives a guy $45 million average annual value, which would put him as the 8th highest paid QB in the league. I think that’s very reasonable.

I too think it’s time to get the next QB going but I would encourage people to not get their hopes up too much if they do, in fact, remain at 11 in the draft. The very top tier of QB’s will be gone at that point and the Vikes will be drafting in a range where the top defender at each position will start coming off the board, so they could possibly grab the draft class’s absolute best CB or Edge rusher, which sounds fun.

A lot will change between now and draft day. QB’s do very little at the combine anymore and mostly throw at their pro days, and there’s always movement based on that.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Call me crazy or accuse me of being a troll, but if I am a Viking fan I would want the Vikings to considering kicking the tires on Wilson for a few reasons:

1. I think Wilson can still make all the NFL throws. He’s got the arm talent and has never come across as lazy. A lot of his issues have been centered around decision making and trying to be the “hero” carrying rosters that are far from loaded with talent. (No O-line in Seattle and some spotty defenses at times, whatever the disaster is/was in Denver with coaching)

2. He could come at a cap hit that is less than many NFL backups. Even if he’s not a Top 10 QB in the league, that value and savings allows them to actually invest in Flores’s defense. He had a solid second half of the season with that unit and few if any stars. JJ’s also going to break the bank and needs to be inked to a long term deal worth big bucks.

3. Wilson is the perfect 2 year bridge. Sign him to a cheap 2 year deal and make that known up front to eliminate drama. I’d bet Wilson would be all-in for throwing to JJ, Hockenson, and working with a young offensive minded HC that’s not afraid to take shots. Heck, the Vikings had a chance to push for the playoffs late this year with a dumpster smattering of backup QBs. If Wilson was an option through all of that they could’ve easily been a wildcard team. Draft the guy you want to be the potential franchise guy and let them sit. If a guy falls this year that they like, take him at their existing spot or package something to move up just enough. If they can wait for a QB to draft next season, then he’d only sit one year but would also give the Vikings another year of comparatively cheap control on his rookie deal.

***If Kirk can be had at a reasonable contract per his value ($30-35 million per year) I’d still run it back with him for 2 more years without that second year being fully guaranteed. If Kirk is more along the lines of $40+ million per and 2 full years of guaranteed money, I’d look the Wilson route***

Ripjiggen

Your paying Cousins 28 mill against the cap this year whether he is with the team or not.

Interesting off season for the vikes for sure.

CaptainMusky

Your paying Cousins 28 mill against the cap this year whether he is with the team or not.

Interesting off season for the vikes for sure.

That’s what people forget. Sign him to a 2 year deal and spread it out. He gone we still are on the hook.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Call me crazy or accuse me of being a troll, but if I am a Viking fan I would want the Vikings to considering kicking the tires on Wilson for a few reasons:
    1. I think Wilson can still make all the NFL throws. He’s got the arm talent and has never come across as lazy. A lot of his issues have been centered around decision making and trying to be the “hero” carrying rosters that are far from loaded with talent. (No O-line in Seattle and some spotty defenses at times, whatever the disaster is/was in Denver with coaching)

Ok, You are either crazy or being a troll rotflol . If Wilson still had “it” he would have shown it with the Seattle, as that team made the playoffs the year after he left with Geno Smith, or the Broncos year 1 with a very solid supporting cast (Sutton/Jeudy/Hamler/Dulcich and Javonte/Gordon at RB) or year 2 when the “coach” was the problem and supposed great coach Sean Payton ended up benching him before the end of the year. He may physically still be capable of the throws, but I sure didn’t see evidence of it and then there’s the whole ego/Mr Unlimited bs. That is the last guy I want a rookie QB learning from.

dirtywater

As a packers fan nothing would make me happier than seeing Russ in purple. Bucky I think you are overestimating his current talent, and underestimating his ability to make everything about Russ. Your badger fandom might be betraying you here.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^By no means am I saying he’s going to be phenomenal (if) he ended up with the Vikings. However, his value at the potential cap hit is there and it allows them to retain/extend many more of their key pieces.

If I had to plug and play a QB in the Vikings offense to win a game this fall after an offseason of work from the group of Dobbs, Mullens, Hall, any rookie QB who will be on the board at their pick, or Russ…it’d be Russ every day and twice on Sundays. He’s flawed, but he did lead the Broncos back to the brink of the playoffs after that dismal start.

CaptainMusky

If the Vikings move on from Cousins with someone else they are still on the hook for $28M against the cap. NO way around that other than signing him and spreading the money out. Yeah, that will likely cost more than $28m for a single season, but Cousins was an MVP candidate until he got hurt. He finished the season in like 10th place in TDs and missed half of it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

NO way around that other than signing him and spreading the money out.

I don’t understand this thought process, “well we still have a cap hit of $28M so rather than take our medicine, let’s resign him and push that down the road some more and likely at a bigger #.” I’m fine resigning Cousins, but not bc of his cap hit, since resigning him will all but ensure a bigger cap hit in the future, if all goes according to plan (rookie QB taking over).

haleysgold
    SE MN

How can they not resign Cousins?
    He wants to stay here and will give the team a discount but not much. Why would he.
    They can spread the cap out.
    3 years max but 2 would be better if he’ll agree to it.

I don’t want a rookie QB starting next year. Let Hall sit and the rookie, if they draft one, and they almost have to draft one in the next draft.

Makes JJ happy.
    Allows the 11th pick for a needed hole other than QB or trade back a few for more draft picks.
    Don’t have to sell the farm to move up in the draft for a QB.

To many upsides not to resign him.
    Queasy better get it right this year or he’s probably gone which wouldn’t hurt my feelings a bit.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,771 through 1,800 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.