2023 Vikings

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No, they don’t, they resigned Sean Mannion to the practice squad a week or two ago and I’d anticipate he’s the backup this weekend regardless if they add someone or not.

God help us. He should never see the field again IMO

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think the Vikings could get Kirk for under $50 million pretty easily. If he really means what he has said in the past about staying here I think he will take a decent deal from the team.

As for Hall, the kid isn’t a bad player. I think he could be a game manager type QB. Everyone with the team has always said how smart he is and that he’s always in the film room, so I have a little hope for him. I’d like to see him finish out the season and the team try to resign Cousins.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think the Vikings could get Kirk for under $50 million pretty easily. If he really means what he has said in the past about staying here I think he will take a decent deal from the team.

Maybe/hopefully. Kirk thus far has always maximized his earnings, and half the fan base hates (or at least hated) him here. If he goes less avg per year, it will be longer term and more guaranteed money. I don’t see any reason why he would do 2-3 years at like $30m/per, when he could easily get $40-50 for 5 years. And his injury probably was a reality check that he’s on the backside of his career, so he could very understandably want to maximize his last stab at a massive payday.

CaptainMusky

What they should do instead of finding some retread QB that wont move the needle is find someone who can actually run the ball or just start akers over mattison. That is what they are going to need to do a lot more of now.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Seeing J Winston chatter, not my favorite, but he worked with JJ a lot in the off season

Ripjiggen

I am failing to see what people are liking about Cam Akers. He is averaging 2.7 ypc. Yuck.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I am failing to see what people are liking about Cam Akers. He is averaging 2.7 ypc. Yuck.

100% agreed. The problem in the run game is not the RB’s, it’s the OL and timing.

CaptainMusky

100% agreed. The problem in the run game is not the RB’s, it’s the OL and timing.

Do you not follow Brian Baldinger on twitter? His Baldys breakdowns clearly show it is indeed the running backs issue and most mattison. Ive pointed it multiple times before he has a clear hole provided by the O-line and he doesnt make the cut into it yet goes around for a 2 yard gain or loss rather than a likely first down. Akers averaged like 5 yards per touch in his first couple games. He has more burst than Mattison.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Akers also has the only rushing TD this season, and hasn’t fumbled.

Mattison has zero rushing TDs and has fumbled.

I’d be fine with more of a platoon here to keep them both fresh. Only utilizing one of them for the majority of the game would be a mistake.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do you not follow Brian Baldinger on twitter?

I don’t really use Twitter, but am familiar with Baldy and his breakdowns. Post a link, I’d like to see it.

CaptainMusky

I’d be fine with more of a platoon here to keep them both fresh. Only utilizing one of them for the majority of the game would be a mistake.

I agree with this.

CaptainMusky

I don’t really use Twitter, but am familiar with Baldy and his breakdowns. Post a link, I’d like to see it.

I’ll see if I can find it again. It was from several weeks ago. It was so obvious gaping hole that Bradbury and I think it was cleveland before he got hurt. He could have had 10 12 yards easy on the one play alone, but he highlighted like 5 plays.

Ripjiggen

Do you not follow Brian Baldinger on twitter? His Baldys breakdowns clearly show it is indeed the running backs issue and most mattison. Ive pointed it multiple times before he has a clear hole provided by the O-line and he doesnt make the cut into it yet goes around for a 2 yard gain or loss rather than a likely first down. Akers averaged like 5 yards per touch in his first couple games. He has more burst than Mattison.

That was one game against the Panthers that he averaged 5.
    His first game.
    5 Carrie’s for 40 yards.
    Don’t forget Mattison ran for 17 for 95 in that game. So maybe that was more how terrible Carolina is.

Chiefs 3.0ypc

Bears 1 carry for 8 yards. So yeah I guess his average was good.

San Fran 3.1
    Green Bay 2.1

Again I am not saying Mattison is great but I don’t think Akers is any better.
    It is basically a platoon now and neither are doing much with the opportunities.
    I doubt that is going to change and get better with Kirk out.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    they have the best capologist in the entire NFL and Rob always finds a way to fit all the numbers together and makes it work. i don’t know how he does it but that is why he is the best.

Agreed, but a lot of those moves in deferring money are why they eventually had to let a lot of guys go. Darrisaw is going to make about $25m/per year, JJ will make $30M+/per year, Hunter will be about $30m/per year and Kirk will get $50M/per year. Salary cap for next year will be around $256m, so about 53% tied up in those 4 guys is not feasible regardless of how they play around with the money.

Pure speculation here:

Darrisaw is under contract still next year. They will resign him but not before JJ. I’d guess $25 million per year is probably pretty close.

JJ will be worth $30-35 million per year.

I don’t think Kirk will command $50 million per year coming off a season ending injury at age 36 starting next season. I do think the Vikings will resign him, but for something closer to $40 million or so with incentives.

Hunter is tough to predict. On one hand, he is a great “sell high” candidate while leading the league in sacks with a pending contract coming. On the other hand, every NFL team at the deadline today knows he’s likely just a rental for the stretch run of this season and would adjust their trade offer accordingly. In the end, I think the Vikings keep him on through this season and he chases money leaving in the offseason. That money in-turn will help roster depth and resigning Darrisaw + JJ.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Instead of trading for an average at best QB what about going after a RB instead, such as Derrick Henry. If they are going to keep the rook at QB or whatever average QB, they will have to be able to run the ball. I have no idea what it would take to get DH or the financials behind it though.

toddrun

There is no QB available that will be that much better that what is on the roster. And I don’t think they are close enough to be a winner in the playoffs to make any other trades either and give up draft picks.

Personally, I think they should start the reload/rebuild. Trade Hunter, Harrison Smith and even maybe JJ if they get a haul for him (he will cost a LOT to keep).

With 5-6 starter quality QB’s in the draft, stock pile picks and trade up to get your 2nd or 3rd choice. RB’s fall, so pick up a good young one in 2nd or 3rd round. Use other picks for OL, LB, CB.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Pure speculation here:

So using conservative estimates of Kirk at $40, JJ at $30 and Darrisaw at $25, you still have 37% tied up in 3 guys. That’s doable, but not ideal. If they don’t plan on resigning Danielle, they need to trade him today. The Bears just gave up a 2nd for Montez Sweat, so Hunter should be able to get a little more than that since they have similar contract status’, age and Hunter is a significantly better player.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you can’t play for McVey you are close to done.

Cousins won’t nor should he take a hometown discount. I didn’t see Ziggy drop the price of tickets when they got off to their horrible start.

haleysgold
    SE MN

AZ QB Josh Dobbs traded to the Vikings.

Never heard of him.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

He started for AZ while Kyler was hurt. He’s not terrible. I just don’t understand why we are trying to make the playoffs and get a worse first rounder. Stupid. Now you don’t get to see what you have in Hall for literally no reason. Dobbs isn’t taking us anywhere even IF they back into the playoffs.

I get the defense has gotten better, but they are still the same players. Same bad secondary. We haven’t played an above average QB on this winning streak. Sorry but I just think it’s a complete waste. Minnesota thinking at it’s finest and the reason no MN sports teams ever win anything. “Well we can still win the division or make it to the playoffs” Who the hell cares???? This team isn’t winning a playoff game with Dobbs at QB.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

With Kyle Murray coming off of injury Arizona felt they could do without him Dobbs actually played quite well early in the season and he’s fallen off the last few games but that’s also could be blamed on his supporting teammates both sides of the ball.
    It’s a solid back up if the rookie or other QBs become insufficient. It’s a season worth salvaging at this point.

edit:
    Keep in mind this is the Minnesota Vikings and there’s several hours remaining prior to the deadline it would not surprise me if they just use Dobbs as a placeholder to grab someone else and they have him in return of another trade.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

All the Cousins talk is speculation, but I guess what else are we gonna do with the Vikings right now.

To me, Cousins is exactly the type of player who would take a discount to stay. He doesn’t need the money, has already cashed in on a massive contract. He’s not on social media. He uses a flip phone. He values his family and privacy. He’s on the backside of his career and coming off a season ending injury.

I just don’t think that commands a 50 mil salary anymore. And even if he could get it elsewhere by uprooting and moving, is it worth it?

I could easily be wrong here, just pure speculation.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

He’s not terrible. I just don’t understand why we are trying to make the playoffs and get a worse first rounder. Stupid. Now you don’t get to see what you have in Hall for literally no reason.

He’s pretty terrible by NFL starter standards, but still a vast improvement over Mullins/Mannion (and even tho I keep lumping them together, Mullins is way better than Mannion, who shouldn’t even be holding water bottles in the NFL). Dobbs probably won’t start for at least a week or two either, so WE will get a look at the rookie. The team has had a look at the rookie for all offseason and half a regular season, so they know what they got.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

I agree cousins wanted to be with one team his whole career, well that didn’t work out and now he wants to be only with two teams. I see him likely dealing substantially lower one year contract.
    An achilles isn’t gonna be nearly as hampering to a QB such as himself, much of his game is sitting in the pocket and with his cinderblock feet he doesn’t run very often so it’s not likely going to slow him down much more than the little running that he does do.

Ripjiggen

So using conservative estimates of Kirk at $40, JJ at $30 and Darrisaw at $25, you still have 37% tied up in 3 guys. That’s doable, but not ideal. If they don’t plan on resigning Danielle, they need to trade him today. The Bears just gave up a 2nd for Montez Sweat, so Hunter should be able to get a little more than that since they have similar contract status’, age and Hunter is a significantly better player.

Part of this is also how contracts are structured. Maholmes doesn’t even count for 40k against the cap.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

AZ QB Josh Dobbs traded to the Vikings.

Never heard of him.

That’s real exciting, NOT !!! He was just benched is favor of a 5th round rookie QB. He does have 258 yards rushing and 3 TD’s. That’s more than the Vikings RB’s

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think it’s really interesting how when we were 1-4 everybody wanted to tank and now the thought of trying to improve our next first round pick is all of a sudden revolting to those same people.

We are 4 and 4 with no quarterback people……

Ripjiggen

I get the defense has gotten better, but they are still the same players. Same bad secondary. We haven’t played an above average QB on this winning streak. Sorry but I just think it’s a complete waste. Minnesota thinking at it’s finest and the reason no MN sports teams ever win anything. “Well we can still win the division or make it to the playoffs” Who the hell cares???? This team isn’t winning a playoff game with Dobbs at QB.

I am willing to bet the whole organization cares including the owners who write and collect the checks.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s one thing to care when you have a good shot at winning a REAL trophy. This hurts the team next year. I’d like to think the WHOLE organization is smart enough to realize that. Although this is the exact reason they have never won anything.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think it’s really interesting how when we were 1-4 everybody wanted to tank

I was against the argument of tanking from the beginning and I always am.

Even when they were 0-3 or 1-4, they were competitive. All those losses were one-possession games and if they hadn’t had so many turnovers in those games, they probably would have won at least 2 of them, maybe more.

Dobbs doesn’t really do anything for me, but its better than Mullens or Mannion as a backup QB behind Hall.

Mullins is way better than Mannion, who shouldn’t even be holding water bottles in the NFL

Lol that’s what I’m saying, he can’t be on an NFL roster, even in a backup or third string role.

Viewing 30 posts - 901 through 930 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.