2023 Vikings

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If nothing else. He’s a smart guy. An actual rocket scientist, Dobbs has had several internships with NASA. He earned a degree in aerospace engineering at Tennessee while also going 3-0 in bowl games as the Volunteers’ quarterback.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Has it been reported what we paid for Dobbs? I don’t like Kwesi’s trade track record…

Knot Again

Vikes get Dobbs and 7th round pick for 6th round pick.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

Cost to acquire Dobbs is negligible.
    More or less a wash and we could get rid of the water bottle boy

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

Vikings trade Cleveland to Jacksonville

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Gimruis – I think you are conflating the term tanking.

Nobody has ever suggested the players on the field tank. Nor the coaches, that I am aware of.

There is a distinct line between them and the front office.

KOC has even said publicly that these two positions conflict with each other at times.

The front office decisions dictate what happens on the field all the time.

Is it tanking to sit your star QB when the season is effectively over? Is it tanking to pull your starters out in a lopsided game? Is it tanking to strategically look ahead to the future in terms of your roster?

I just think that word can get twisted if throwing around too much.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

If you are a fan paying for tickets either in your home stadium or away, all fans regardless of whom the competition is deserves the best the NFL can put on the field.
    Anything short of that is cheating the fans of the professional sport of football.
    Therefore yes in my personal opinion tanking of any sort is disrespectful to the fan base.
    And I would expect the advertisers have the same sentiment for what they want to pay for.

lindyrig79

Mahto – I mostly agree with you. There is no point in competing for a SB run at this point. It only hurts the future.

If Hall comes out and lights the world on fire that is one thing. But otherwise they should be looking towards next year, sadly.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Gimruis – I think you are conflating the term tanking.

Nobody has ever suggested the players on the field tank. Nor the coaches, that I am aware of.

There is a distinct line between them and the front office.

KOC has even said publicly that these two positions conflict with each other at times.

The front office decisions dictate what happens on the field all the time.

Is it tanking to sit your star QB when the season is effectively over? Is it tanking to pull your starters out in a lopsided game? Is it tanking to strategically look ahead to the future in terms of your roster?

I just think that word can get twisted if throwing around too much.

I would say the Tanking that some here are talking about is the exact way that Gimruis is talking about. The only way to get higher draft Picks is to have a worse record than other. The only way to do that is lose games. At this point with a 4-4 Record and a few easy games remaining on the schedule the only way for the Vikings to move up to a better draft pick is to Truly TANK the rest of the season

lindyrig79

Are the Washington Commanders tanking by trading away their star defensive players today?

It happens in pro sports. All. The. Time.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I would define the term “tanking” as a purposefully trying to lose. We as fans can sometimes think that’s the route they should go to get higher draft position. But the players and coaches should never be trying to lose games on the field, ever.

If Washington is trading away star defensive players, then they are seeing the writing on the wall and they are trying to build for the future. Pro sports are a business too. That is a management decision.

But come Sunday, the players they have on the field should be competing and trying to win with a game plan they’ve prepared all week, which I think they will. Anything less is poor sportsmanship. If Ron Rivera starts calling sketchy plays that clearly indicates they are trying to lose, he won’t last long. Nor should he.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I like the move for Minnesota.

Dobbs essentially appeases most people (fans and the front office). He costs next to nothing and is a smart guy who will say all the right things and master the playbook in a hurry. If he ends up starting in a couple weeks and things go well with a softer part of the schedule – great. The league is so wide open they could easily get a wildcard spot. If things go poorly, bringing him in costs nothing either.

It’d be easy to argue this is a move to try and keep winning and appease those who think they should try to sneak into the wildcard spot as he is better than Mannion/Mullens and likely Hall too. It also keeps those happy who are more leaning towards building for the future and letting things slide this season (they had to add a QB regardless). The front office can now sit back and essentially let the decisions be made for them in regards to the team’s trajectory as things either go well from this point on or not. Kwesi and company dodge the tough questions with this move and are able to avoid “taking sides”

lindyrig79

Yeah you are making my point. I have not seen anything in regards to the players or coaches not trying their best. They fight with blood, sweat, and tears and leave it on the field.

The front office decisions regarding player personnel are separate, however.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I don’t think anyone here would expect (or should expect) the players themselves to literally throw games away, but as has been mentioned, the front office can definitely sway things one direction or another depending on if they’re trying to win now or plan for the future.

We really didn’t give up much to get Dobbs, but to honestly believe we have any chance at making a run this year without Kirk is fooling IMO.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree with Lindy and Waldo here.

Carry on

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

Although Nick Foles had a couple stellar seasons right after being first drafted, when the Eagles acquired him back, late 2017,
    Yes he had prior experience and did just enough to be the MVP of the Super Bowl. Again Foils took over late in the 2017 season and completed the run.
    It all depends on how well our team gels and all the stars & moons have to align.
    You don’t give up on a season especially sitting at 500 in this division.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Are the Washington Commanders tanking by trading away their star defensive players today?

/quote]

Nope. I would not call that Tanking at all. If by tanking you are referring to trading away all your star players and still go out and try and win each game, Then I’m fine with you saying they should TANK the season

Ripjiggen

I think everyone needs to chill on Dobbs. For all we know it’s a depth move to relieve Manion in a week and have a guy that won’t get killed as a backup when Mullens is off IR which can’t happen until after this weeks game. Guessing they don’t feel real great about putting in Manion if Hall gets injured.
    Before the trade they only had 2 active QBs on the roster. You can’t even practice with just 2. So they needed another QB for at least a week anyway.
    They gave up nothing to acquire him.
    I don’t see anything wrong with the move. They lost a QB for the season and they are trying to add some depth at a position they just lost so they can at least finish out the year.

If Cam Akers was ruled out for the year do you not think they would sign someone else if for no other reason than to get back the depth in case another RB goes down.

Ripjiggen

What kind of message does it send to give up on the whole team when Kirk gets hurt. Good luck having those guys have your back when things are not going well.

Relax folks we could be the Bears or Packers right now.

Jerry K
    Coon Rapids

indeed, virtually no cost good move, a back up that is mobile and evidently a very very fast learner due to his exceptional brain.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I dont get the hatred for the DObbs deal either. They had to get another QB and this was almost a no brainer. THey got a capable guy and a pick in exchange for a slightly better pick. He actually wasnt terrible in AZ when he filled in and from what I have heard he is very smart. Mobility is a big plus like Rip said too!

Ripjiggen

It happens in pro sports. All. The. Time.

Are you referring to the defensive end that has 14 sacks in 4 seasons and has never played a full season since being drafted. Or the other one that has flat out said he will not resign.

Using Washington commanders as reference point for tanking is kind of ridiculous at this point. They just had an owner that was forced out of the league sell the team disgruntly to a new owner who took over in July.

If I was that new owner I probably would have wanted to trade the whole team away and start over. Can’t exactly do that though.

Do you have any other examples of trades today of teams tanking. Surly there has to be other great players on some of these bad teams that should have been moved in order to get the best possible pick.

I mean Davante Adams Aaron Donald Saquon Barkley even Adam Thielen could have been useful players to the true contenders no?

ThunderLund78

At this point, it’s Hall’s job to lose – but he can lose it in a hurry. I really don’t think they’re going to put Dobbs in next week, he’s going to need a couple of weeks of study and a little time with 1st team offense in practice. With Kirk down, we need depth. Dobbs has proven he can start in AZ. We’ll see how it shakes out. Don’t hate the move.

I’m scratching my head on the Cleveland move, though. He’s worth a bit more than a 6th round pick, in my opinion.

Ripjiggen

Yeah, I dont get the hatred for the DObbs deal either. They had to get another QB and this was almost a no brainer. THey got a capable guy and a pick in exchange for a slightly better pick. He actually wasnt terrible in AZ when he filled in and from what I have heard he is very smart. Mobility is a big plus like Rip said too!

Weird you mean a similar type of player that Hall is. So they may be able to scheme towards the same type of player moving forward this year.
    Those silly Vikings.

Ripjiggen

At this point, it’s Hall’s job to lose – but he can lose it in a hurry. I really don’t think they’re going to put Dobbs in next week, he’s going to need a couple of weeks of study and a little time with 1st team offense in practice. With Kirk down, we need depth. Dobbs has proven he can start in AZ. We’ll see how it shakes out. Don’t hate the move.

I’m scratching my head on the Cleveland move, though. He’s worth a bit more than a 6th round pick, in my opinion.

Not sure what the going rate for a backup guard that is injured is. One that just lost his job to a guy that joined the team a couple weeks ago.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, the cleveland trade for what a 6th, some were saying it should have been a 4th but hes hurt or at the very least benched right now. Guards can be had, now if he were a tackle which is where I think he wants to play that is another story, but we have bookends at that position and he wasnt going to play there for sure.

Ripjiggen

He will be a guard at Jacksonville as well. Their starter just got injured.

lindyrig79

I don’t hate the Dobbs move either. I agree with Buckys assessment and it appeases both sides.

The discussion/argument started before the Dobbs news broke.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Anything can happen, have some faith folks! Ya’ll need to be more positive, come on, MN NICE! toast

Viewing 30 posts - 931 through 960 (of 1,853 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.