2023 gardens

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

Looks tasty to me. How long did they take to get to size? I’ve got 2-3 French Breakfast that look almost ready, most others are just starting to swell up a little. The Scarlet Globe type aren’t even swelling up yet.

I planted them on May 6th.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Just wanted to make my debut (for 2023) post in one of my favorite threads every year with cool people.

I’ve got pumpkins ( started a few weeks ago in egg cartons), watermelon, and potatoes in, and today the boys helped my plant corn gonna add more corn in a few weeks and more pumpkins as the start growing. Might even do peas if I have room

Attachments:
    1. 20230531_170515-scaled.jpg

2. 20230531_170534-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo needs to be weeded!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230601_085222175-scaled.jpg

JEREMY
    BP

Ive been trying to hold off planting pumpkins because every year it seems like I wait to long but yet they are all big and orange by early september. Gonna give it one more week. Sweetcorn is up and looking good but damn the weeds are coming in fast.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Snap peas: planted first week of May and looking good.
    Broccoli: planted first week of May. Looking good no, but I had poor germination rates. I transplanted recently and should be good now.
    Carrots: planted second week of May and looking good.
    Green beans: planted last week and doing real well.
    Super Tasty, salsa, grape tomatoes: planted last week and looking good.
    Bell and Fresno peppers: planted last week and looking good.

I’ve got my drip irrigation system up and running.

Raspberry plants are growing like mad!

picklerick
    Central WI

Clouds rolled in about 530 last night so I was able to get 18 of my 37 tomato plants in the ground. The wind picked up and they were calling for pea sized hail by the time I got 8-10 in the ground. I could hear thunder rolling to the west. It skated by to the west of us by a couple miles. Just had the clouds come over again a few minutes ago so I’ll get going on the rest of them as well as the 18 pepper pots I have to get in my fabric planter bags. Hopefully the mosquitoes aren’t so bad tonight.

picklerick
    Central WI

Got done about a half hour ago and had time for a few beers with the neighbors in the process. For those of you that have in ground gardens auger bits for a cordless drill are the way to go for transplants. Got 37 plants in the ground in about 2hrs. I’m sure someone that’s in better shape could do it in half the time.

picklerick
    Central WI

Noticed some of my asparagus ferns were drying out last week. Since it hasn’t rained here in like a month, I really put the water to them but that didn’t seem to help. Then I noticed dark specs on at least ten of them. I have somewhere around 100 plants. A closer inspection and some “internetting” told me asparagus beetles had done the nasty and the black specs were their larvae attached to my plants like a blood sucking tick. Spent about 20min squishing each one between my finger and thumb and found a couple of the grown ups while I was at it.

Tomatoes, peas, herbs, cukes, and hot peppers are all happy.

picklerick
    Central WI

Thought I’d share the tomato trellis system I put in that should last the rest of my life. Copied it from Lazy Dog Farms YouTube channel. Two 20′ rows each consisting of three 7.5′ t-posts, two 10′ sticks of EMT conduit, one set screw coupling, a 1-1/4″ PVC tee on the center post and two 1-1/4″ PVC 90’s on each end. Each tomato plant will get a drop line tied above it and these reusable clips to hold them up. I bought two bags two years ago and haven’t opened the 2nd bag yet. I’ve grown about 120 plants so far.

EDIT: just go to Amazon and look up tomato clips. A bag of 200 is about $12. For some reason I can’t attach Amazon links anymore.

Attachments:
    1. 20230608_194601-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t have near the setup as some of you, and last year it was a jungle so decreased the amount of plants a bit this year. 3 varieties of tomatoes (8 plants total), 4 jalapenos and 6 cucumbers got in the ground the week after Memorial Day and they are off and running now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

the heat and lack of rain made my spinach and lettuce short lived and pulled it last night. even watering it pretty much every day didnt help much.

everything seems to be doing fine. i simply use the tomato cages!!!!!! nice setup!!!!!

i have 22 tomato plants……..8 jalepeno and 8 green pepper plants. 4 of the tomatoes are camporis, and 4 are lucky tigers. rest are bing boys and better beef i believe!!!!

picklerick
    Central WI

All my tomatoes are indeterminate types, mostly heirloom, so they keep growing taller until frost kills them. The Amish paste are always close to 8′ tall by the end of summer. I have 36 plants, 8-9 varieties in those two 20′ rows. I have a lot of unused tomato cages but I’m using 6 now for Spacemaster 80 cucumbers which is a bush type. I still have room in my other garden space so I’ll probably pick up some determinate tomato transplants like Roma or something for canning. I have two teepees set up for vining cukes, a small burpless type called muncher. I’ll be pickling them whole this year using a pasteurization method and Glenn’s famous pickle brine. Supposedly, pasteurizing at a lower temp for a longer time makes for the crunchiest pickles. I grabbed a Ball electric canning pot so I can keep it at the perfect temp.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

curious question……..how are your guys tomato plants doing. besides needing rain mine are doing pretty good but man my stocks or main stems sure are skinny!!!!!!

Brad Dimond

Tomatoes are thriving, albeit with frequent watering. Had our first BLTs Tuesday night but won’t have more to pick for a while.

First time growing potatoes, they are taking off. It will be fun to see how they turn out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My garden doesn’t look very good. Things better start growing a lot more if there’s gonna be a harvest. It’s my first time so I guess I had low expectations.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Been doing some fly control!! waytogo set that out Sunday afternoon.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230622_192347560-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

My tomatoes are doing well. Planted them all a good 8″ deep so I think that helped boost the root growth. The sweet 100 and large cherry have the most flowers but they’re all starting to. No tomatoes yet. On Sun I plan to prune off all the bottom leaves and add another clip to the tops.

Attachments:
    1. tomato-062323-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

Hot pepper plants are looking good. They don’t mind being hot and dry.

Attachments:
    1. peppers-062323-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

Sugar snap and green peas took a while to get going so hopefully we get some before the heat kills them off. I realized I was overwatering them when they were small. I can’t overwater anything else in my sandy soil so that was a surprise.

Attachments:
    1. peas-062323-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i love peas straight out of the garden, but there such a PITA to take care of. besides i usually eat most of them when picking!!!! same with green beans. them i usually manage enough to put some in the freezer for the winter!!!!

picklerick
    Central WI

That’s probably how it will go with peas here too. 99% of our cherry tomatoes never make it out of the garden. This year I have 8 cherry tomato plants, so we may actually have some for salads.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

It’s getting there. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230623_112608807_HDR-scaled.jpg

stout93
    Becker MN

Tomatoes are thriving, albeit with frequent watering. Had our first BLTs Tuesday night but won’t have more to pick for a while.

First time growing potatoes, they are taking off. It will be fun to see how they turn out.

You’re in MN?

How the heck do you have tomatoes in mid June??

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My garden is small but everything is thriving. Tomatoes and a few kinds of peppers.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Tomatoes, beans and peppers (already picked a handfull) are looking good. Cukes not so much.
    Carrots are bout 1.5″ tall.
    I also planted cone flowers and hostas, they are doing extremely well.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Tomatoes, beans and peppers (already picked a handfull) are looking good. Cukes not so much.
    Carrots are bout 1.5″ tall.
    I also planted cone flowers and hostas, they are doing extremely well.

who you kidding, your just trying to Impress the belle!! devil rotflol

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brad Dimond wrote:</div>

You’re in MN?

How the heck do you have tomatoes in mid June??

Bought one large plant at the St. Paul Farmers Market that had a couple going already. The remainder are now flowering/have small tomatoes. Spent the money to make the bride happy.

JEREMY
    BP

My cucumbers looked great a week ago. lots of little ones on there but just like every other year damn plants are already dying on me. Should have zucchini in a few days they are about 4 inches long. Sweetcorn seems happier with recent rain. Glenn whats that fly trap we have chickens so plenty of flies.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

F’n RABBITS!!! flame flame flame
    Any ideas on how to keep em from eating my flowers and veggies?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 505 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.