2023 gardens

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

One tip for using grow lights is the cheap ones need to be 1-2″ away from the plants unless you bought a super expensive set up.

That’s something I was going to mention, too. My mom clued me into that a few years ago. rotflol

picklerick
    Central WI

Anyone know how long two year old asparagus crowns should take to poke through? I planted a dozen on 4/24 and nothing yet. I followed the planting method from Hand Picked Nursery who shipped them for my Amazon order. The ones I started from seed last year were already up on 4/24 and some are a good 20″ tall today. Those are off limits for two more years.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

back when i started my aspargus patch it was with 2 year old roots called martha Washinton i believe. i was picking some the following year and its still going good. i need to go check it soon, i have 1 strangler here at home and had a nice 4 inch spear the other day!!

finished planting everything in the garden today!!!!! woot green and jalapeno peppers, cukes from seed, Kalahari, and carrots. net the fence goes up!!!!

picklerick
    Central WI

The ones I started from seed last year are the Mary Washington variety. I call it Martha Washington, too. rotflol I saw a gardening channel refer to it as Martha Stewart the other day. jester
    These crowns are Jersey Knight variety. I live on a mill pond so I’m definitely real close to a river and sandy soil seems to be the ticket. I have plenty of that. I’m hoping any day now I’ll see something but I emailed the seller just in case.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I just picked 4 more spears from my straggler out back waytogo devil

Dang there tasty! waytogo

JEREMY
    BP

Got grief from the neighbor and the woman last night for using a tape measure and level to put in tomato stakes and cages. call me anal but I cant look at uneven and crooked schmiit all year.

picklerick
    Central WI

OK, you’re anal. toast

I do my best to avoid all tools unless absolutely necessary. If the soil in my garden beds was loose enough I probably wouldn’t even use a shovel.

Jimmy Jones

I have two separate asparagus beds. One in in my regular garden against a back “wall”. The soil is rich but the asparagus is slow to pop in the spring. This bed is starting its 5th year now and the spears are maybe 1/2″ -5/8″ average. The other bed is along a fence in some of the worst crap soil I have on the lot but its out of the ground sometimes with snow still in the yard and it is aggressive as it spreads the root clumps each year to where there is now asparagus coming up on the park side of the fence. Once I see heads popping thru the soil, I have two days tops to get it picked before the crowns open. We’ll cut this bed for about 4 weeks, then let it go. I’ve cut this bed 5 times so far this year and each cutting has yielded about 4-6 pounds of spears. Lots of spears don’t even get to the kitchen. The stuff is a great fresh, raw snack. Many of the spears are in the 1″ to 1-1/4″ diameter size range, but still nice and tender even at a foot long.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

gaeden is all planted, fence is up to keep bunny rabbits at bay. took a peek earlier and have spinach, lettuce, kalarabi, radishes and onions peeking through!!!!! waytogo

went to check my big asparagus patch yesterday…..and found 1 spear!!!! doah

Jimmy Jones

I checked just a bit ago and saw I needed to do some cutting again along the park side of the fence.

This came from about four feet of bed.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1378-scaled.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

woot finally got a few meals. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230517_133747997-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I whipped together a couple 5×5 boxes on mother’s day and got our salsa garden going.

The lady was pretty pleased. Especially after I destroyed her last one plowing snow across the yard with the skid loader over the winter.
    I’m no gardener by any means but was please to make salsa from the garden last year.
    also planted 6 flower pots on our door step and around our garage doors

Attachments:
    1. 20230514_125732-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

Better cut that tree down or you’re going to get blight on the ‘maters and sissy level spice in those peppers. whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Better cut that tree down or you’re going to get blight on the ‘maters and sissy level spice in those peppers. whistling

I had to Google what blight was. We grew in the same spot last year and turned out to good. Had so much more then we needed. Hoping this year is better. But if not I guess I’ll buy from the local farmers market.

queenswake
    NULL

Anyone know where to buy rhubarb plants?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

know of anyone that already has a bunch?? Ask them if they would split some!!

It’s how we got ours. waytogo

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I’m looking for seed potatoes. I cant find them anywhere. Its so odd. Ive never had this problem.

Does anyone know a north metro business who has them?

Ive had some ordered from Menards for three weeks with no delivery date.

Do I have time yet to start my own spud seedlings this year?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My neighbor wants to get rid of half her plants. Where are u located

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Now that weeds going to be legal us any one adding that to the garden?

JEREMY
    BP

I’m looking for seed potatoes. I cant find them anywhere. Its so odd. Ive never had this problem.

They are probably sold out cause everyone planted them a month ago

BigWerm
    SW Metro

A guy on my softball team said he was going to start selling started plants.

I’ll be picking up my (regular vegetable) plants up north this weekend and putting them in the dirt on Monday hopefully.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The tomatoes, pepper, and cucumber seeds I planted several weeks ago are in fact growing. Maybe this gardening thing could work out.

Could use a little rain…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The tomatoes, pepper, and cucumber seeds I planted several weeks ago are in fact growing. Maybe this gardening thing could work out.

Could use a little rain…

Farmers need some rain. My garden gets the hose

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Got all my plants in yesterday. A full week earlier than usual so I feel good.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Got those planted already. grin toast

We planted our herb garden before we left on vacation last week. This weekend the salsa garden goes in. Maters, Peppers (hot & sweet), Beans, & Onions.

picklerick
    Central WI

Sugar snap peas and green peas are about 8″ tall now. Time to figure out some trellising. Asparagus I started from seed last year is ranging for 2-4′ tall and ferny now. Of the dozen 2yo crowns I planted 4/24 there are 9 spears started. I seeded about a 5×5′ area with French Breakfast and Scarlet Globe radishes and they’re all about 2″ tall except one overachiever that’s over 4″ tall and already swelled up where it goes into the dirt. I was hardening off my tomatoes and peppers earlier this week, moving them from the sun to shade Sat – Mon. It was only supposed to be 55 overnight on Tue, so I decided to leave them on the covered patio overnight. Turned out to be upper 40’s and windy when I got up and almost lost a few tomatoes. They’ve been under the grown lights since then and recovered pretty well. Later this morning I’ll get back to it and hopefully have them in the garden by Mon.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Nummy waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230531_115932493-scaled.jpg

picklerick
    Central WI

Looks tasty to me. How long did they take to get to size? I’ve got 2-3 French Breakfast that look almost ready, most others are just starting to swell up a little. The Scarlet Globe type aren’t even swelling up yet.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Looks tasty to me. How long did they take to get to size? I’ve got 2-3 French Breakfast that look almost ready, most others are just starting to swell up a little. The Scarlet Globe type aren’t even swelling up yet.

Usually around 3 weeks but with this warm weather I would check them daily the can get very hot when the warm weather kicks up in heat.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 505 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.