2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

BOTH goalies put on a show in that game!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Salt Lake Stormin’ Mormons

Haha. Actually has kind of a nice ring to it.

I see they applied for several trademark names including the Utah:

Blizzard
    Fury
    Outlaws
    Venom
    Yetis

JoeMX1825
    MN

Danila Yurov’s team just won the KHL Cup, curious to see what he decides to do next season??? They didn’t play him the last 7 minutes of the 1 goal game, so that’s gotta leave a little bit of a bad taste in his mouth…at least we hope )

His teammates didn’t give him a chance to lift the Cup when the other players all got their chance, that’s pretty strange for the leading scorer of the team to get ignored like that… (the video feed cut off after they did a team photo with the trophy, so maybe he did afterwards?)…

You can tell he’s a shy young kid on a team full of older players…

CaptainMusky

Well I am beating a drum to count down the days until we sign him.
    Holy Hannah! Not all they way through the podcast but Russo was about to explode LOL. Panther is such a homer and Russo knows what he is talking about.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Well I am beating a drum to count down the days until we sign him.
    Holy Hannah! Not all they way through the podcast but Russo was about to explode LOL. Panther is such a homer and Russo knows what he is talking about.

I know, it was pretty good…I loved Russo when he’s like, “just read the frigging Steak promo”

CaptainMusky

LMAO Joe that was money. He is like Anthony lets just do the promo before I have a heart attack.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Russo saying per the Wild, Yurov most likely playing another season in KHL…interesting that his fellow NHL hopeful teammate Nikita Grebyonkin just announced he’s leaving for the NHL and signing with the Leafs…

Anybody else find it strange that his teammates NEVER handed him the cup to raise on the ice? (unless he did AFTER the team picture when the video feed cut off) Typically the rotation is Captain, Longest tenured veterans, then Alternate Captains, then Goalie, then the more impactful players (Yurov was their leading scorer), then the role players, then staff, etc… I watched it live and he was always in the front row of players to get it next, but they never handed it to him… He was also at the back of the players huddled on the ice hugging each other when they were getting their medals, he was typing on his cell phone…

just so strange… but he’s just a young kid, socially awkward…

CaptainMusky

I thought I saw a pic of him with it on Twitter. I will have to search to find it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I thought I saw a pic of him with it on Twitter. I will have to search to find it.

He took a 1 second sip of Champaign from it in the locker room and then walked away, even that was awkward… I’m chalking it upto shy kid on a team of older men…

CaptainMusky

Finished the podcast. Russo didnt have a heart attack and it was one of the best. Seems there is steam they are probably going to move Gus or at least shop him. Not sure if I am onboard or not with that. I realize it would save them money but it has me worried going in with a 50 year old and a rookie.

tswoboda

The Dallas Divers are back lol that team just can’t help themselves

Vegas might be my team for this playoffs… Bring on the chaos and tears!

basseyes

Soooo fun to see Dallas loose two at home! Suter is a cancer!

candiru

Utah is going to win a Stanley Cup before the State of Hockey does.

tswoboda

California Nevada Texas and Florida did so why would Utah be any different

Utah is getting a nice little care package of players, prospects, draft picks, and cap space from Arizona. I’d say for sure better than Seattle ended up with and not quite on par with Vegas.

CaptainMusky

THe playoffs just havent intrigued me yet. Once the Wild get bounced I get bored with it. Only watched about 20 minutes of hockey in the playoffs. Other years I am glued to the TV. Maybe its because the Twins are so good? LOL

tswoboda

Funny I end watching more playoff hockey the years the Wild aren’t playing and really like it. Games have been great so far

JoeMX1825
    MN

Florida vs Tampa series has been everything you could want in playoff hockey…

basseyes

Been very competitive games so far and fun to watch. Don’t think there’s any team that’s a lock this year. Seems like there could be some upsets and really enjoy seeing Dallas give up home ice advantage. The Jet’s/Av’s series is better than I thought it’d be. Thought the Jet’s depth might really swing it their way. Bruins and the Leaf’s is fun to watch. Dallas complaining about the ref’s and the diving is redonkulous. They are a wickedly talented team, but even more so are an oddly soft team. The east is some grinder games. The west is way faster paced. Vegas and Nashville are so big and just play good fundamental hockey. Vegas is a force and they are definitely getting the goaltending. Oettinger is not as good as his numbers appear. Yeah he is a good goalie, but he’s been far from great this series. Bucky has been beatable. Might be the Panthers year, but who knows. The Leaf’s parade isn’t looking good right now. They got a lotta holes in their game. Thought the Kings would get swept.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Danila Yurov just posted a cryptic image on his IG account… Does “on the horizon” mean he’s coming over next season or 2 from now?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7062.jpeg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I didn’t expect the Jets to be as strong against the Avs as they have been.

Toronto could be in real trouble against Boston. Bruins just negated the home ice advantage the Leafs have with the win last night. It would be just so enjoyable to watch the Leaf’s fans lose their minds if there’s a R1 exit.

It’s very enjoyable watching Dallas get beaten at home both games. Not sure what their problem is other than thinking that R1 was essentially a gimmie and they were planning to start playing only after they got to R2.

And now the really bad news for Billy Gee. There isn’t one team in the playoffs that I’d say this version of the Wild could have beaten in a 7 game series. Not one. The gap between this version of the Wild and what it takes to even win the first round series is wider than it has ever been in the past 5 years. Overall, the Wild have slid backward significantly over last season. Of course you could argue that there is a much wider swath of very strong teams in both the east and west, but the bottom line is the Wild ain’t one of them.

candiru

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>candiru wrote:</div>

California Nevada Texas and Florida did so why would Utah be any different

Utah is getting a nice little care package of players, prospects, draft picks, and cap space from Arizona. I’d say for sure better than Seattle ended up with and not quite on par with Vegas.

And North Carolina.

JoeMX1825
    MN

And now the really bad news for Billy Gee. There isn’t one team in the playoffs that I’d say this version of the Wild could have beaten in a 7 game series. Not one. The gap between this version of the Wild and what it takes to even win the first round series is wider than it has ever been in the past 5 years. Overall, the Wild have slid backward significantly over last season. Of course you could argue that there is a much wider swath of very strong teams in both the east and west, but the bottom line is the Wild ain’t one of them.

I wouldn’t go that far, even this Wild team could beat the Capitals )

For sure we had guys underperform this season (Both Goalies, Kirill’s slow start, Jojo and Gaudreau’s missing offense, Spurgeon/Foligno hurt, Middleton not playing well without Spurgeon) but this team will be alot better next season baring Kirill getting hurt or the goalies falling apart again (but you can say that about every season)…Then after next season the Wild will have the Parise/Suter caphit pain mostly gone resulting in roster needs getting filled by better players vs Iowa callups or cheap veterans on their last leg…We’re also in the prospect pool timing where we’re finally replacing guys like Dewar and Duhaime with the higher skilled kids like Khusnutdinov and Ohgren, guys like Hartman, Zuccy, Gaudreau and Foligno will then get replaced over the next 2-3 years when their NTC’s become partials and we have the future draft capital needed to incentivize teams to take them…

This past season was always planned to be our worst in terms of surviving the caphit pain, it gets better from now on…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I wouldn’t go that far, even this Wild team could beat the Capitals

A 1-1 split in the regular season v the Caps I believe? Not exactly a vote of confidence. I still wouldn’t like our chances in 7 but yeah that’s the one maybe.

And of course that’s just more bad news really that the only team we even have a chance against is in the other conference. Every team in the west would have kicked the Wild’s buttski.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I can’t argue with you, they weren’t good enough this year (other than Boldy & Ek setting new career highs and Faber & Rossi answering all the doubters) its why we’ll get a good prospect at pick #13…

next year will be better…

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Our best chance at any sort of run (mayyybe through round 1) was when Fiala was still with us and that third line was clicking. We had some confidence and were healthy then. Sure came to a screeching hault in the playoffs though.

This years team was brutal and next year will be a carbon copy. Maybe worse.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It looks like Yurov signed the rumored 1 year KHL extension for only $440k…

I would have loved to see him in green next year, but it would have created a roster logjam likely effecting Ohgren the most…

Chalk it upto unknowns of drafting a Russian… my guess is if he’s able to (if his KHL team gets eliminated early) he’d come over before the season is over and burn the 1st year of his ELC like Kaprizov and Khusnidhinov did…

tswoboda

Yeah Yurov next season would have been nice, but he’s making huge progress in the KHL so hopefully takes another step there next year and comes over top 6 ready.

CaptainMusky

The team wasnt brutal, just ravaged by injuries. If healthy they would have likely most definitely made the playoffs. Goalie play was terrible and that cost them many games according to the analytics. One game the team was missing what 12 players? That is insane.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Good lord Matt Rempe is just a beast!

Ripjiggen

Our best chance at any sort of run (mayyybe through round 1) was when Fiala was still with us and that third line was clicking. We had some confidence and were healthy then. Sure came to a screeching hault in the playoffs though.

Bottom line they had below average goaltending while having their top line be ranked among the top 5 in just about every category.
    Hard to think an extra 14 million in salary wouldn’t be a big help to this team.

Viewing 30 posts - 5,101 through 5,130 (of 5,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.