2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

The only chance I could see trading up for the Wild would be with the Devils at pick #10. Devils need goalie help (if the Wild wants to trade GusBus) and they are so stacked with young prospects that they are running out of spots to play them…it’s an extreme long shot trades happen in the 1st round top 15, but there’s a sliver of hope with the Devils…

tswoboda

because Atlanta and Houston will be the next expansion teams in the next 3-5 years, timing for Arizona’s next team is a ways away…

What’s being reported (Friedman) is the NHL might not have a choice. Meruelo is still an approved owner so the owners don’t get to vote on him. Really sounds like if he gets his arena built within 5 years, he gets the team back. And now he conveniently has a billion dollars to finance that new arena project whistling

CaptainMusky

20,000 now for season tickets in Utah. I would say there is interest and the league is ecstatic with this!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Faber playing months with fractured ribs…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

And now he conveniently has a billion dollars to finance that new arena project

Then what’s he going to use to pay the $1 billion franchise fee to get a team back?

The NHL and Gary want Meruelo to have another team about as much as they want a hole in the head. There is absolutely no reason this clown gets an arena built within 5 years because it is virtually impossible to build a project on that scale without some form of government approval at some level. Which won’t happen.

The NHL it’s just going to quietly let the clock run out and bid this clown goodbye forever.

tswoboda

The NHL it’s just going to quietly let the clock run out and bid this clown goodbye forever.

God I hope that’s what happens but don’t you think Meruelo is more likely to go down squealing like a pig than quietly letting the clock run out

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Faber playing months with fractured ribs…

What a beast. Did anyone tell Freddy?

Freddy played with a broken heart ever since Deano left…

tswoboda

This clown is somehow even worse than expected jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

God I hope that’s what happens but don’t you think Meruelo is more likely to go down squealing like a pig than quietly letting the clock run out

The NHL still has the choice as to which city to award a franchise to. The Utah deal does not include an automatic franchise award even if Murelo somehow builds an arena. Something that by the way he hasn’t been able to do even when he actually owned a franchise.

Missing in all this discussion is the main reason Gary actually shut down Arizona to begin with. Revenue sharing. If you follow the money you’ll notice that it ain’t coming from Arizona and never has. That fact has never been lost on the other owners and the players assoc because money losing franchises don’t contribute anything to the pool party. That lack of contribution is never going to make you Mr popularity at the annual owners meetings.

In 2-3 years the league is going to offer a franchise to either Houston or Atlanta. Then they’re quietly going to tell Murelo sorry we’ve had enough expansion for now. And it won’t matter anyway because he still won’t have an arena built.

tswoboda

Missing in all this discussion is the main reason Gary actually shut down Arizona to begin with. Revenue sharing.

Maybe that hasn’t been mentioned in this thread but does it need to be said? They play in a rink 1/4 of the size, of course they’re losing money… for everyone. Bettman actually cut Meruelo off at one point and says “Was he losing money?? You Betcha!! He was losing *a ton* of money”.

Great point on the NHLPA. The new guy seems to be getting after Gary and making stuff happen. He had that press conference in February that basically said this team is a joke, the player’s have had enough BS. Bettman had the coming coming to Jesus meeting with Meruelo in March.

The NHL still has the choice as to which city to award a franchise to. The Utah deal does not include an automatic franchise award even if Murelo somehow builds an arena. Something that by the way he hasn’t been able to do even when he actually owned a franchise.

Did you watch the video or read any of the reports? Meruelo still has a franchise, that’s why the NHL doesn’t get a vote… He already has one. Bettman says there’s 33 NHL franchises right now, the Coyotes are just “inactive”. I completely agree the NHL wants to bury this clown, they paid a billion dollars just to start the process. I just don’t think the little weasel is going down easy or going away quietly.

He has a 5 year window and best case scenario is he loses this June auction and they can start putting pressure on him ASAP. If he wins the land auction I think it gets ugly.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I love watching Toronto lose in the playoffs.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I love watching Toronto lose in the playoffs.

I was going to post exactly the same thing. What’s better than the Bruins beating Toronto 4 to nothing? 5 or 6 to nothing, of course.

tswoboda

Max Domi playing for Toronto makes it even sweeter ha what an idiot

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve been not feeling well the last couple days but I filled out a bracket. I have Dallas vs Florida in the Stanley cup finals.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I got sidetracked the past few days and forgot to post a Round 1 Predictions Post.

Please follow the same format I used below so its easy to follow (yes 2 games already took place but who really had Islanders and Maple Leafs winning)

Round 1:
    Stars beat Golden Knights in 7
    Jets beat Avalanche in 7
    Canucks beat Predators in 6
    Oilers beat Kings in 6
    Lightning beat Panthers in 7
    Bruins beats Leafs in 6
    Rangers beat Capitals in 4
    Hurricanes beat Islanders in 4

Round 2:
    Stars beat Jets in 6
    Canucks beat Oilers in 7
    Bruins beat Lightning in 7
    Rangers beat Hurricanes in 6

Round 3:
    Canucks beat Stars in 7
    Rangers beat Bruins in 7

Finals:
    Rangers beat Canucks in 6

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wild collected the Bruin’s 2026 6th round draft pick yesterday when Pat Maroon played his 1st game of the playoffs… So ultimately GMBG acquired Maroon for a 7th round pick, used him for 4 months and traded him away for a 6th round pick and a good AHL player…

If you look at their future picks its obvious GMBG is building draft capital stock to acquire veterans at the trade deadline to supplement his young roster…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Watching the first few games of the playoffs and i’m glad the Wild didn’t sneak in somehow… there’s zero chance they could handle the pace or physicality… we’re just not built for it yet…

playoff hockey is just a different beast… its friggin awesome!!

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Watching the first few games of the playoffs and i’m glad the Wild didn’t sneak in somehow… there’s zero chance they could handle the pace or physicality… we’re just not built for it yet…

playoff hockey is just a different beast… its friggin awesome!!

As talked about in the past those first 5-10 mins of a new series are just wild. And yeah, our fragile team woulda been swept.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Avs have to outscore their bad goaltending… “That’s a bold strategy Cotton”

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The 5th goal by Winnipeg is crazy. Apparently they thought it hit 3 posts but replay showed the puck completely over the line on its side.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Omg this Avs goaltending!!

JoeMX1825
    MN

I sure hope Faber is watching this Avs/Jets game… he can do what Makar does on the powerplay!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya I’d say that’s over the line too, definitely. When they showed the replay during the game, it wasn’t clear to me that it was over the line, even using the overhead camera.

Where is that camera mounted? In the top interior of the net? Guess I always thought the net camera was mounted lower.

tswoboda

Imagine putting up 6 on the Vezina winner in game 1 and losing doah

basseyes

My word what a fun game!

tswoboda

I’ll take Canes to win the cup, beating the Oilers in the SCF

CaptainMusky

That was a wild game last night. I stopped watching after the first, but holy heck was that entertaining and The Peg was hopping outside the arena!

Viewing 30 posts - 5,041 through 5,070 (of 5,211 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.