2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• tswoboda

There’s been smoke around the Coyotes relocation for years but this feels like the NHL pouring gas on it and then hitting that little fire with a leaf blower

Frank Seravelli:

Sources: #NHL is drafting two schedule versions for next season – one with #Yotes in Arizona, another with the relocated franchise playing in Salt Lake City.

Fluid situation. Lots of moving parts. Details on dual paths and a potential transaction.

CaptainMusky

I just saw that. That is exactly what needs to happen. THey are going nowhere in Arizona.

tswoboda

I still believe Phoenix/Scottsdale is an important, viable market with a lot of potential for an NHL team. But man the way these cities are rallying against the Yotes makes it pretty clear they are done with this ownership group and this franchise. I have no doubt a team could thrive there (and one day will) under good ownership, but right now that market needs a break to cleanse the palate. Really too bad with how youth hockey is flourishing there lately.

CaptainMusky

I know it is a sad deal, but I just dont see how it will ever work.

Ripjiggen

Interesting goalie stats posted by Russo.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0224.jpeg

JoeMX1825
    MN

The sad part is the team itself FINALLY has an identity, direction and prospect pool to start producing on the ice moving forward… They’ll move to whatever market (SLC, Houston, Atlanta) doesn’t want to or likely can’t pay the insane expansion fee…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Wild just need to shut it down for the season and coast it in. I’d like to see Ek, Brodin, and Zuc given some good ol Load Management games off and test drive some line combos and Iowa guys.

The season’s over and nobody feels bad about it. Just watching that Colorado game everybody knows what would have happened if the wild had gotten into the playoffs. Nobody wants another first round ass whipping and that’s what would happen and it just costs draft positions.

The number one challenge for the off-season is to figure out what are we going to do with some of these non-performing players in the middle of the lineup? Without some kind of progress on this we are basically in a situation where what you see this year is what you’re going to see next year.

Man did Torts ever F up that Flyers team… All of those mind games he plays for his ego and the team collapses at the end of the season… He needs to accept a huge chunk of the blame for their collapse…

The only good thing about Torts is that he’s nowhere near MN. The guy is totally mental and players want nothing to do with him.

wormdunker

BREAKING NEWS. Big Night Friday, Ohgren in.

wormdunker

Minnesota. He has already been playing in Iowa.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Shaw must be done… looked to be broken in half last night…

JoeMX1825
    MN

rewatching those 3 MacKinnon goals last night it reminds me of when a good PeeWee sibling skates in his little brothers Mite practice and doesn’t understand to take it down a few levels when you scrimmage…surprised a few Wild players didn’t throw their sticks and storm off the ice…

There are professional hockey players and then there’s a select few players who can make them all look like kids getting schooled again….

tswoboda

Shaw finished the game, right? Not saying he’s not hurt now, but shouldn’t be serious. Ribs probably not feeling great, maybe sleeping in a recliner for awhile.

rewatching those 3 MacKinnon goals last night it reminds me of when a good PeeWee sibling skates in his little brothers Mite practice and doesn’t understand to take it down a few levels when you scrimmage…surprised a few Wild players didn’t throw their sticks and storm off the ice…

Lol I was going to say the one kid in mites who’s faster than everyone else, but I think this description is more accurate. He somehow reached a whole new level this year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Shaw finished the game, right? Not saying he’s not hurt now, but shouldn’t be serious. Ribs probably not feeling great, maybe sleeping in a recliner for awhile.

I shut it off after the 2nd, he looked to be in huge pain and had to be helped off the ice by teammates on the bench…looked like he tried a backside hit and missed the player but bent backwards over the top of the boards…

tswoboda

The Coyotes discourse today is wild. A million different rumors and nuggets flying around from legit reporters.

New from Friedman:

The NHL and the Arizona Coyotes are preparing for the possibility of a move to Utah as soon as April 18, multiple sources confirmed Wednesday.

The team’s final game is at home against Edmonton next Wednesday. One Coyote indicated today that there are rumours of “meeting about the future” before everyone goes their separate ways for the off-season.

The league sent a memo to its Board of Governors indicating progress in talks to move the team to Utah, but several sources warned to be careful about making any absolute proclamations. “There is a lot that needs to be done,” one said, although it is clear this is a major priority, with maximum effort and speed utilized to reach a finish line.

The NHL is working as the broker, handling negotiations with both current Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo and prospective Utah steward Ryan Smith. Initially, the hope was to let the June 27 auction play out, but two concerns emerged: first, about what would happen if the Meruelo lost the auction, and second, the possibility of three more seasons at Mullett Arena. There wasn’t much enthusiasm for the latter.

Multiple sources indicate a real scenario is Meruelo being paid $1 billion for the team, and Smith paying $1.2 billion to purchase. But the real key is what the NHL will promise Meruelo to avoid this ending up in court.

Those same sources indicate he could be offered a five-year exclusive window to “bring back” the Coyotes as an expansion franchise — although there would be certain language stating what would need to be accomplished for him to return. (The league definitely desires a return to the market if it leaves.)

Obviously, there is a lot that still needs to happen, but a move is gaining momentum.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I still believe Phoenix/Scottsdale is an important, viable market with a lot of potential for an NHL team. But man the way these cities are rallying against the Yotes makes it pretty clear they are done with this ownership group and this franchise.

Phoenix/Scottsdale/misc burbs will never be a viable market because each city wants the arena only if the can get somebody else to pay for it and the infrastructure. Also it can’t be overstated the role water availability impacts development down there.

On Monday, the mayor of Scottsdale released a statement saying that he wanted the team to “move away” from his suburb and he rejected the team’s arena plan as “fantasy”. So I take it he’s a “no” then when it comes to building an arena. What a surprise.

Finally the league has no choice. Bettman’s dream in the desert is a failure. Now they’re doing what they should have done 5+ seasons ago. The Smith Group in Salt Lake will be the owner within weeks. The franchise and the NHL will be better off.

JoeMX1825
    MN

curious to see who’s out tonight and filled in by Ohgren…will it just be a 4th liner like Shaw or will GMBG finally pull the plug on Jojo or Gaudreau…

tswoboda

Phoenix/Scottsdale/misc burbs will never be a viable market

That’s certainly the popular opinion, but I think it’s more these cities are sick and tired of this owner and obviously going out of their way left and right to run him out of town. Just look a couple years ago and I bet the vast majority of the Twin Cities would feel the same about Glen Taylor and the Pohlads. It’s not the sport they’re sick of, it’s the owners and ensuing disfunction.

I mean all the other major sports are doing well there, shockingly without water asset issues, but somehow they don’t have enough water for a 15k hockey arena and commercial/residential development area? Yeah ok. If you can’t read between the lines on that article, it doesn’t get more obvious. Similar to Glendale allegedly kicking them out for not paying the rent, when actually what happened the Yotes just didn’t sign the 12 year lease they were offered. Same for how they marketed against the Tempe arena proposal and made residents think it was using all taxpayer money when that was hardly the case.

I just think the NHL will for sure be back in AZ eventually and it will be completely different with competent owners and once the bad taste has been diluted from the cities and the locals. Do you not think a new NHL team can work in a recycled market?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

…or will GMBG finally pull the plug on Jojo or Gaudreau…

But wouldn’t the game lack the thrill normally associated with the having these offense machines on the ice?

JoeMX1825
    MN

i’ve lost track/don’t care anymore, but hasn’t the ownership of the Coyotes changed like 2-3 times in the past few decades? wasn’t Gretzky even an owner at one time?

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    …or will GMBG finally pull the plug on Jojo or Gaudreau…

But wouldn’t the game lack the thrill normally associated with the having these offense machines on the ice?

for sure, but I could get my fix of the same effort at 11:30pm weeknights from my local rink Beer league…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just think the NHL will for sure be back in AZ eventually and it will be completely different with competent owners and once the bad taste has been diluted from the cities and the locals.

It will likely need to be a billionaire who is just doing it for their ego & not greed and doesn’t need to get into all of the low level money problems that will happen, they just get it done…that Market is too big to fail if ran correctly…

The surprising part is you would think those types of potential owners would jump on the Coyotes situation as they could avoid the likely $700+ million expansion fee and the team is young (lots of ELC’s to burn through resulting in a likely cheaper payroll during the early years of ownership while they get the kinks out) and on the rise…

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Is this where someone steps in and points out Bedard’s plus minus?

JoeMX1825
    MN

The KHL is such a weird league for younger players…after leading his team in scoring during the regular season Danila Yurov has seen his icetime drop by a several minutes per game in the playoffs..he only played 13 minutes in today’s game according to the KHL games site…

They did win and are only 1 more win away from playing for the KHL Cup…

tswoboda

It will likely need to be a billionaire who is just doing it for their ego & not greed and doesn’t need to get into all of the low level money problems that will happen, they just get it done…that Market is too big to fail if ran correctly…

The surprising part is you would think those types of potential owners would jump on the Coyotes situation as they could avoid the likely $700+ million expansion fee and the team is young (lots of ELC’s to burn through resulting in a likely cheaper payroll during the early years of ownership while they get the kinks out) and on the rise…

Completely agree it will take someone who can do it right. Hit the ground running like Vegas and Seattle have.

Numbers flying around is they are selling to the NHL for $1billion and then the NHL is flipping the team to the Salt Lakes City owner for $1.3billion. I think the next expansion team will be well over $1billion

JoeMX1825
    MN

dang, Vegas was $500 million in 2017, Seattle’s fee was $650 million just a few years ago…

wtf does the NHL need to make money from it? just get it done…

tswoboda

wtf does the NHL need to make money from it? just get it done…

It’s basically a relocation fee, because now they’re not getting their expansion fee out of the Salt Lake City market

Viewing 30 posts - 4,801 through 4,830 (of 5,361 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.