1980's Tyee

• Pike1401
    Waconia

I’ve found a few of the 5.5 and 5.3 Lund Tyee’s from the 80’s for sale and wondering if anyone on here is running one or has previous experience with them. The extra space/seating capacity, full windshield and wider beam is appealing, but I’m wondering if these boats are going to be too big for fishing metro lakes where I do most of my fishing (Tonka, Waconia, Pool 2). Also any known issues with them? TIA

Karry Kyllo

I had a 5.3 Tyee with a 115 Merc on it in the late 80s into the mid 90s fishing mainly on Lake Sakakawea and the Missouri River in ND. It was a great boat to fish out of and even though I’ve had numerous boats since then, it’s still my favorite of them all. A 5.3 is only just over 17 feet long but it feels bigger than it is.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Had an 85 Tyee 5.3. Loved the boat. The boat was a tank. We often broke ice on the red cedar so we could fish in early spring. Not a fan of the Merc Tower of Power motors that hung on them but if maintained well I’m guessing it can be a good motor. The 115 had plenty of power to get the tank out of the hole. Not the best storage layout and only one live well. For the year I am guessing the price will be right.

Pike1401
    Waconia

Had an 85 Tyee 5.3. Loved the boat. The boat was a tank. We often broke ice on the red cedar so we could fish in early spring. Not a fan of the Merc Tower of Power motors that hung on them but if maintained well I’m guessing it can be a good motor. The 115 had plenty of power to get the tank out of the hole. Not the best storage layout and only one live well. For the year I am guessing the price will be right.

Thanks for the info, I’m planning to take a look at some this weekend. It certainly looks like a lot of boat for the price. How was it for launching/loading on the trailer?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Have fished out of late 80s tyee many times with the stepdad. It has an outboard but it’s a phenomenal boat. Real solid. Wouldn’t hesitate to pick one up for metro lakes at all. Drafts shallow enough.

Agreed the storage is really lacking but as far as fishability things great.

The transom does sit real close to the water with his outboard, wave whackers are almost a must, but may not be issue with inboard.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>85lund wrote:</div>

Thanks for the info, I’m planning to take a look at some this weekend. It certainly looks like a lot of boat for the price. How was it for launching/loading on the trailer?

My boat had a roller trailer. I hated it. It would be nice for the lakes but I fished the river most of the time. The rollers were really close together and it was a pint in current. Roller would be nice for shallow lakes.

Attachments:
    1. Lund-1.jpg

2. Lund-4.jpg

GW

I have an ’85 Tyee 5.3, excellent boat, no need to upgrade for northern MN lakes. 1990 100hp Merc and a ’91 Evinrude 9.9 kicker with electric start and it’s own controls. Works perfect for me, enough room, super solid and hasn’t leaked a drop.

GW

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.