1/2 ton truck tires

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    I just put these on the ram and sold my duratracks. These falcons seem very nice. And the price I get through the woman’s boss was very nice. I liked them so much I put some falcons on the ladies buick as well. She said her vehicle has never handled the snow and ice so good before when she was running her other tires.
    Im happy to have the insight from the guys at Fairway, and norms tire.

Why’d you go away from the Duratracs? I’m strongly considering them vs. the BFG KO2s

The duratracks were great, the ko2s are awesome as well. But they both know it and are priced that way. The norms tire guy lead me to the falcons and I’m glad he did. I saved 400 immediately sold the duratracks for more then I put the falcons on for and I think they are incredibly nice so far. The warranty is very good as well.
    Having the connection at the tire shop I get good insight, I get to test tires out and I get a good discount. So I swap through tires on both sets of wheels more often then most. But I highly recommend the falcons thus far.

John Timm

Tires are actually Falkens, not Falcons. I have them as well and several people I know do. Everyone likes them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tires are actually Falkens, not Falcons. I have them as well and several people I know do. Everyone likes them.

You are correct. I just like to battle my auto text correct

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bump.

Anyone have buyers remorse or updated tire reviews? I limped my existing Goodyear dealer specials as far as I can. With towing and some noticeable weather cracking, they’re coming off this week.

I’m leaning toward the Falken AT/W’s. The guy I’m having put them on said he despised Duratracs for their rapid wear and road noise. He suggested the KO2s or the Falkens, with the Falkens having a little better wet grip and wear, while the KO2s were better in the mud.

Angler II

Bump.

Anyone have buyers remorse or updated tire reviews? I limped my existing Goodyear dealer specials as far as I can. With towing and some noticeable weather cracking, they’re coming off this week.

I’m leaning toward the Falken AT/W’s. The guy I’m having put them on said he despised Duratracs for their rapid wear and road noise. He suggested the KO2s or the Falkens, with the Falkens having a little better wet grip and wear, while the KO2s were better in the mud.

The Duratracs are one of the loudest tires I have heard on the road after 20k miles. Unbearable road noise. They also wear badly. Other than that they are great in mud and snow….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m still loving my Falkens. Been a good tire in all from snow to muddy wet conditions to the asphalt. No complaints

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Have had good luck in the past with the Hankooks, but currently have the General Grabber ATX and they did great this past winter. They’ve worn great so far (about 10k miles), and aren’t bad with road noise.

shockers
    Rochester

X2 on the General Grabber ATX

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Mich Defemders are awesome. Great wear, snow/rain traction (for an all season tire anyway) and I don;t think they’re all that expensive. I’ve priced them thru Costco sale pricing and then just go to Discount and get them installed immediately. I’ve run Coopers in the past twice I think. The tires performed okay but I just didn’t get very good life out of them. Never personally had good luck with GY Wranglers but I’m basing that on the cheapies Ram puts on as their factory rubber. I’m on my 7th Dodge/Ram and the Wranglers were on every one of them but one…terrible tires…just don’t remeber what model they were but they were low-end.

marbleeyes24 (Larry)
    Nevis

Michelin Defender LTX.

Friend got Falken Wild Peak at3 for his F-150

I had Michelin Defender LTX’s on my last 3 pickups and they were AWESOME!

My 1/2 ton now has the Falken Wild Peak AT3 and they are great too. They are slightly noisier (barely noticable) but the fuel mileage is a bit better. 22 – 24.5 in my 6.2l. Traction seems slightly better than the LTX but not by much.

I had the Good Year Duratracs on my 2017 Silverado 6.2L and it knocked the mileage down by 4 mpg versus the Defenders. Immediately swapped them out.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yes Duratracs get noisy if you do not rotate them every oil change, they cup out easy as most aggressive tires do.

Bucky do your self a favor and try out a set of the GY Wrangler Adventure AT. They are aggressive enough to do most anything you need, yet not noisy on the road. I run Duratracs on mine but will take some noise with the amazing traction they get. If I was not running those it would either be the KO’s or the Adventure AT.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have been happy with my Hankooks and would buy again. Of course Im getting double the calendar longevity out of them since I run snows half the year.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have been happy with my Hankooks and would buy again. Of course Im getting double the calendar longevity out of them since I run snows half the year.

X2 on the Hankook. I put the Dynapro on my truck the last tire purchase. They have lasted way beyond the mileage warranty period ( This is a first ) I’ve been really poor about rotating them and can not see any signs of it. I will go with another pair this fall for sure.

The Michelin defenders are a great tire – not sure about them being not that expensive. They were one of the highest priced tire the last time I looked into getting them. They are also not real aggressive so they are not idea for off road or in heavy snow ( In my opinion ) Great road tire and really good in the rain.

I just looked at my tire receipt when I purchased the Hankook Dynapro’s and I had 75,874 on it when I purchased them, and I now have 136,193. So that’s 60,319 miles on them. I bet I’ll get a few more thousand out of them before fall when I put new ones on. To me 60,000 miles out of a truck tire is excellent. They would probably done even better if I was good about tire rotation.

JEREMY
    BP

Dont get GY Wrangler Territory. Thats what came on my new truck and they suck.

Stanley

I’m on my second set of duratrac’s and with proper rotation and inflation you should get at least 30k out of them or more. I only use my truck for truck stuff so I will take the extra traction over longevity. I actually sold my last set of duractrac’s because they were 7 yrs old and starting to get hard. I also have the wildpeak AT/w’s on a suv and those are great also. For a daily driver and maximizing tire life I would take the wildpeaks. These were my old duratrac’s with over 25k on them when I sold them.

Attachments:
    1. 83A8B501-9385-4B04-AB16-D1DAF4A45BC1-scaled.jpeg

Nodakk

I have over 30k miles on Nitto Terra Grappler G2s and they look great. Very very happy with road noise, hwy comfort, rain/snow handling, and off road handling. I’ve had Duratracs, mud tires, General Grabbers, and Falkens. The Nittos are the best

27eyeguy

Just put on second set of Kanati Trail Hogs in a 10 ply on my 1500 Chev. Very impressed with them, 1st set had 70k on them and performed great for me. Ran 45 psi, rotated every oil change, they wore nice n even right up to the end with very little road noise. Truck used off pavement about 50% of the miles.

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

I am close to needing a set of tires on my truck. The KO2’s have been great and would certainly get them again. I have been really bad at rotating and am currently sitting at about 50k and have decent tread left.
    My tire guy recommends the Firestone Destination XT, which look pretty comparable. Anybody here tried them? And what did you think of them? 300 bucks cheaper for the Firestones..

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Don’t know anything specific about the XT but the rest of the Destination line has been underwhelming to say the least. I would stick with the KO’s.

Gitchi Gummi

I ended up going with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and have about 10k miles on them, including one winter and I have no complaints. Solid tires and no road noise and they are wearing nicely. Would recommend.

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

Don’t know anything specific about the XT but the rest of the Destination line has been underwhelming to say the least. I would stick with the KO’s.

Thanks John. I’m actually sitting at 57k on these ko2’s. Could probably make it to 70.. I think I’ll take your advice.

robby
    Quad Cities

Cooper.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I ended up throwing on the Falkens in a 275/70/18. I only have a few miles on them and will report back. So far they are relatively quiet and seem to have the look of a tire that will hook up in most conditions – time will tell. The truck does a lot of towing and driving off road for hunting, fishing, and work around the land so they will be put to the test.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Well its that time again. Kind of narrowed my choice down to either the Hankook Dyna Pro AT2 or AT3 or with the General Grabber ATX after reading some past reviews here. Locally I can get either of them. The Grabber ATX is about 150.00 more for for of them than the Hankook. What is everyone’s thoughts on if the price difference is worth it. Both have a 100.00 rebate on 4 tires right now.

John Rasmussen – If you read this please give your opinion. Also check you PM’s. I’m going to send you one.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Still happy with my AT2s.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Anyone looking for tires should check out eBay motors. They got a deal where if you buy a set of tires over $1000, you get $200 off. $150.00 off for a set over $750.00. There are 4 sellers that honor the coupon, and the code is tires22, i believe.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

John Rasmussen – If you read this please give your opinion. Also check you PM’s. I’m going to send you one.

Got it. Look forward to chatting soon!

robby
    Quad Cities

Cooper AT3

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here’s a wild shot in the dark. I have heard and read good things about Kenda Klevers. Just something none of us have tried yet. On the low side price wise. Another rarely seen option getting good reviews is the Continental TerrainContact.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.