1/2 ton truck tires

• marmike

Brown dog- I’m looking at the ultra terrains by Goodyear. How noisy were they?

Tim Conroy Jr.

If a 50,000 mile warranty concerns you, you should not be looking at aggressive tires at all. Less life is simply the nature of the beast for performance. My truck sees a lot of back roads, and off road, so for me I wanted the best. I bought Cooper Discoverer STT pro. They are a mud terrain, and they are the best mud terrain for road use made to date. As far as mud tires go, they are surprisingly quiet. Mine now have somewhere around 20,000-25,000 miles on them, and they are not getting louder at all. That said, they are still loud compared to a road tire. Off road use is phenomenal. If you keep the tires spinning, they will claw through mud like you would not believe. Same thing with snow. The downside to them is they are horrendous on ice. You could not drive these in the winter without having to be on the ball 100% of the time. That’s true of any mud tire, and if you want such a thing, you will also want snow tires.

Now you will not get 60,000 miles out of the Cooper Discoverer STT pro, 40,000 miles is probably more realistic. I doubt there’s an aggressive tire out there that does much better. Honestly, I’d say forget the look, just buy the best tire for your needs, which seems to be longer life, for on road use. I’ve got Cooper basic road tires on my car, and they are wearing like iron, and aren’t that bad in the winter either.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Brown dog- I’m looking at the ultra terrains by Goodyear. How noisy were they?

They were great tires, not noisy at all. I would rotate them every 5k miles, which is free when you buy the tires from them. I think the even wear definitely helped. They were super sticky tires too. Their off road performance was great. Heavy snow or mud and they didn’t skip a beat. 10/10 recommend.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar. Had a set on My F150 and loved them. Worth the extra money

CaptainMusky

Normally when these posts pop up here people really rave about Toyo tires. Surprised by reading the responses this go around. I hated the Good Years I had on my 2018 Silverado. I dont know which model they were but they were not very good.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>
    Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar. Definitely on the more expensive end but these have been my favorite of the three types I’ve had on my truck.

John Rasmussen advised this set of tires last fall, exactly one year ago, for my F-150. I have not experienced any issues with them since I’ve had them. I would buy them again.

Glad you still like them G. They are one of the top of the list if you want aggressive but not to aggressive. To the OP my list would be. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac or BFG KO2. If a little less aggressive but still capable the Goodyear All Terrain Adventure or the Toyo Open Country ATIII. Can’t go wrong with any of them, just need to decide if you want the best traction or a little less noise and acceptable traction. I live and work in the north metro and if anyone needs help getting tires I run an shop and can get whatever you want for tires and mount them for you. I will give anyone that needs tires or car/truck repairs an IDO discount.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not the original poster but piggy-backed on looking for suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback. It looks like I’ll price out some Duratracs and KO2’s.

That’s an awesome offer John, but unfortunately I’m nowhere near the metro. If I was a metro traveler I’d probably not be even considering the Duratracs or KO2’s. It always baffles me the number of people who drive trucks that never leave the pavement, and then also have some big aggressive tires for their looks while paying dearly in mileage and cost. To each their own.

Dan Baker

For the people with the Michelin Defender LTX m/s tires, do you ever feel outguned in the field. I really only would need more aggressive KO2’s or similar out of the lake in the winter plowing new snow. Do people with LTX’s feel they are lacking? I much prefer the longer tread life and much quiter ride of the Michelins.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I have been running Cooper AT3 for 3 sets now and they have all worn well with good traction. You do need to rotate every 5K.

Fleet has them buy 3, 4th is free Also Cooper has a $70 rebate.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

For the people with the Michelin Defender LTX m/s tires, do you ever feel outguned in the field. I really only would need more aggressive KO2’s or similar out of the lake in the winter plowing new snow. Do people with LTX’s feel they are lacking? I much prefer the longer tread life and much quiter ride of the Michelins.

Dan I have not had them on anything lately. When I did buy a truck with them I was having traction issues in mud and heavy snow. They are an awesome on road tire, with some decent off road traction but nothing I would be towing out on the ice with. For most guys there probably fine, I think the majority of guys here use there trucks a little different. I buy my tires knowing I only need them for 20-30% of the time I’m driving the truck.

haleysgold
    SE MN

John – I wish I lived closer and could shoot you some business but hoping you could advise.

I have a F150 that I use 70% on the hwy with some off road, mostly snow.
    Looking for mostly hwy traction on icy, wet and light to moderate snow on hwys and less noise.

I’m leaning towards the Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar or Michelin Defender LTX a close 2nd.
    Would love to hear your opinion?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I like the goodyear duratracs

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

John – I wish I lived closer and could shoot you some business but hoping you could advise.

I have a F150 that I use 70% on the hwy with some off road, mostly snow.
    Looking for mostly hwy traction on icy, wet and light to moderate snow on hwys and less noise.

I’m leaning towards the Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar or Michelin Defender LTX a close 2nd.
    Would love to hear your opinion?

The Defender is a quieter, smoother road tire. However you will be much happier when you need the tires to own the Goodyear, they are still quiet enough not to worry about if you keep up on rotations. So the Goodyear would be my pick of those two.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

I’ve been running Cooper Zeon ltz on my Silverado the last two years, really liked the look of them for an all terrain tire.I’ve got 50,000 miles and counting on them they’re wearing down nicely despite neglecting rotations

Beast

I run michelins on my truck, but I have been told by a tire dealer that michelin owns uniroyal, I may give them a look, there’s quite a price difference.

AnotherFisherman

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT for me on my 1500. Would buy them again!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Pulling this one back up with an update on the General Grabber ATX’s I put on my 13 silverado. So far with the recent snow/cold/ice we’ve gotten they have been fantastic! I’d say so far the best performing winter truck tire I’ve had compared to ATM’s and the Discount Tire Pathfinders (these are lightyears ahead of the pathfinders). Now, two grains of salt are that A) They’re only 3 months old so they SHOULD perform well at this point (will see how they are doing next winter) and B) This is the first set of AT tires I’ve put on this particular truck, the others I’m comparing to were on an 05 F150.

Deuces

Might get new rubber for the Yukon. Anyone got an opinion on the smoothest and quietest but with a lil grab for casual ice fishing guy and pool 4 winter ramps?

Loved my winter tires on last Yukon but trying the other end of spectrum this round. Too noisy.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I got a lot of help from John R on my selection. Thanks John.

I ended up going with BF Goodrich Trail Terrain AT’s.
    They are a newer tire with great reviews. So far so good. Getting snow now so will be out later putting them to the test.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I put the Discount Tire brand of Dynapro’s on last winter and I will not be buying them again. They may be the same tread pattern as the Dynapro’s but they are terrible with any water on the road, and far worse than the Dynapro’s I had on my last truck. Curious to see what everyone else is using now too.

Still true, these tire are terrible unless you’re a big fan of drifting all over the place anytime it rains, snows or is somewhat humid.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They are a newer tire with great reviews. So far so good. Getting snow now so will be out later putting them to the test.

Your welcome, glad to help. Keep us up on those, like you said new launch for BFG good to hear real world feedback.

Adam Steffes

I keep going back to michelin defender ltx for my 95% road use pickups. I don’t pull a shack on the ice and I very rarely drive on the lake. I don’t run offroad much at all in any weather and definitely don’t go through mud so no experience there. The michelins give me over 100k miles and good wet/slick road performance, almost like a snow tire in that regard. A good buddy of mine got 120k out of a set that was still going when he swapped them. They are quiet with good handling

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have been driving all over the white roads this morning in Woodbury on my Hankooks. They are working fantastic and could easily take care of me this winter. Im just biding my time until I switch over to the snows. I’ve probably got one year left on them and dont want to put them into service until it’s cold and stays that way.

Umy
    South Metro

No, I love them. Quiet, great grip, long life – no complaints

haleysgold
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>

Your welcome, glad to help. Keep us up on those, like you said new launch for BFG good to hear real world feedback.

Had a chance to test them out with the recent dump of snow.
    Needed to take the FW to work at 5:30 AM Sat. morning. Main hwy was icey, sloppy and slippery. Didn’t need 4×4 with these tires. Then found a backroad that hadn’t been plowed. Had no problems going though 10-12 inches of fresh snow.
    The tires seem “sticky” for lack of a better word. They really seem to grip the road no matter what condition.
    Quiet and smooth riding tire.
    Overall, very impressed with them! They were 1k mounted and balanced out the door.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just put these on the ram and sold my duratracks. These falcons seem very nice. And the price I get through the woman’s boss was very nice. I liked them so much I put some falcons on the ladies buick as well. She said her vehicle has never handled the snow and ice so good before when she was running her other tires.
    Im happy to have the insight from the guys at Fairway, and norms tire.

Attachments:
    1. Resized_20211209_113711.jpeg

Umy
    South Metro

My truck is my daily use (F150) in the metro and to Bemidji and Canada to tow the boat. Michelin Defender LTX’s have been great, last a LONG time and are good in snow or rain. Not a mudder, driving thru the woods, climbing mountains or anything else of that nature. Will buy them again in heartbeat.

Loren I Duerr

Last 2 1500’s ran cooper good first winter junk after that. bridgestone junk in the snow from the jump. I am putting on Falken AT3w on recommendation of a bunch of friends and reading reviews on line. Hope they are as good as hyped.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I just put these on the ram and sold my duratracks. These falcons seem very nice. And the price I get through the woman’s boss was very nice. I liked them so much I put some falcons on the ladies buick as well. She said her vehicle has never handled the snow and ice so good before when she was running her other tires.
    Im happy to have the insight from the guys at Fairway, and norms tire.

Why’d you go away from the Duratracs? I’m strongly considering them vs. the BFG KO2s

I just got some Toyo Celcius tires (load range E) on my Toyota Tundra a couple weeks ago. Really great traction in the snow and ice so far and nice and quiet going down the highway. The Coopers that were on my truck when I bought it were LOUD. My wife has had a couple sets of Celscus on her Honda Fit and has been pleased with them also.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.