1/2 ton truck tires

• Gitchi Gummi

What are you guys running for tires on your half tons? Its been a few years since I had to buy tires and went with Hankook dynapros last time. I’m in the market for new tires for my half ton again and would like to try something new. I kind of like the more aggressive look of something like the goodyear wranglers but they seem to be a little more expensive than others and only have a 50k warranty versus 60-70k on others. Any other suggestions on a more aggressive looking tire? Thanks!

Apologies if there is a recent thread on this but I couldn’t find a recent (last year or two) thread on truck tires for half tons.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m curious to hear more tire opinions as well.

The dealership slicks that came on my F150 still have some tread left, but I’ll be looking sooner than later. I want something a bit more aggressive that performs well on snow and ice covered roads.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I just put Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT’s on my 1500 a few weeks ago. Like them so far but not enough miles to tell. They seem better than the last set of coopers I ran in wet conditions.

The new XLT has a great aggressive look. I did E range due to liking a stiffer ride and more stability when towing. 60k warranty and the E range was actually a few bucks cheaper than the C range for the size I bought.

If aggressive look and price are not factors, the Michelin LTX MS2 (now called discoverer LTX MS) was the best tire I ever ran in all conditions. Unfortunately they clocked in a whole lot more expensive than the Coopers and I didn’t want to shell out for them. They also look very plain jane if that matters to you at all.

I was eyeballing the new Pirelli Scorpion all terrain plus which have stellar reviews on tire rack but I found out Pirelli is now owned by a Chinese conglomerate so I said no thanks and went with the Coopers.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Thanks for the intel. It’s appreciated.

Any thoughts on the Goodyear Duratracs? I’ve heard horror stories and I’ve heard they’re a godsend.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Any thoughts on the Goodyear Duratracs? I’ve heard horror stories and I’ve heard they’re a godsend.

I have run Duratracs for the last 7 years, just put a new set on my newer Ram. They are the best tire for traction on the market, just above the BFG KO’s. If you can’t handle some noise they are not for you but it is not bad if you can keep them from cupping. So I rotate my tires every oil change.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I ran the Duratracs on a ’13 F150. Great traction in mud and snow, pretty good wear, but I pulled them after 40k due to the road noise. And they seemed to pick up rocks on dirt roads an excessive amount. Not good when pulling the boat. Just put new BFG KO2’s on my current truck. E rating, which I didn’t really need, but so far I’m happy with them. Definitely firmer than the stock Wranglers, but they are smooth and relatively quiet. And don’t pick up rocks like the Goodyear. Had wanted to go with Toyo Open Country AT3 in load range C, but they were harder to find in my size. Have heard good things about the Toyo’s though.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I put the Discount Tire brand of Dynapro’s on last winter and I will not be buying them again. They may be the same tread pattern as the Dynapro’s but they are terrible with any water on the road, and far worse than the Dynapro’s I had on my last truck. Curious to see what everyone else is using now too.

tswoboda

Kumho is a brand not talked about much, but I’ve been very happy the Crugen HT51 on my truck and wife’s SUV. It’s not an aggressive tread but been excellent for winter driving on snow and ice. It’s similar to the Michelin LTX M/S but in a different price bracket. Kumho makes an AT truck tire as well, but I know nothing about it.

Had Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my truck – great for the first 20,000 and then absolutely garbage, straight up dangerous. Would not recommend.

Reef W

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar. Definitely on the more expensive end but these have been my favorite of the three types I’ve had on my truck. I have a car for daily driver and probably wouldn’t waste the money though if I was burning them up driving back and forth to work.

Erik Swenson

Kumho makes an AT truck tire as well, but I know nothing about it.

Not a half ton, but I have been running Khumo AT 51s on my 4-runner for a few years now. Have been happy with them and impressed at how well tread depth is holding up with the more aggressive lug design.

Not bad for dry conditions handling although not as good as a highway tire. Very solid in adverse conditions though. I tow a fair amount too.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Just put a set of the General Grabber ATX on my 13 Silverado. Haven’t had them in the snow yet but so far so good. Wet traction seems to be as expected so far and based on the more aggressive 0atter I’m confident they’ll do everything I need them to this winter.

realtreeap10
    Over there

I’m in the same boat looking for a new set of truck tires before the snow comes. The new BFG Trail-terrain T/A with 60K warranty, 3peak snow rated and a decent price point have got me interested. Saw a few videos on them and they seem to perform fairly well, more of a road tire with off road capabilities.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Good Year Duratrac, Load range E

Deuces

Also a duratrac fan here. People always commented how aggressive they looked, and in winter would rip thru anything. They r noisy, not terribly, but that’s what you get with that type of tire.

Sold the truck and are currently in texas awaiting all their snowfalls this winter doah

shockers
    Rochester

Just put a set of the General Grabber ATX on my 13 Silverado. Haven’t had them in the snow yet but so far so good. Wet traction seems to be as expected so far and based on the more aggressive 0atter I’m confident they’ll do everything I need them to this winter.

I’ve been very happy with the General Grabber ATX. Have them on my 2011 Ford F150. I will say mileage seems slightly worse with them, but the tread seems far more durable and had good traction last winter.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Just hit 60K on my BFG KO2’s on my F150. Happy with them and enough tread left to make it thru this winter

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Just hit 60K on my BFG KO2’s on my F150. Happy with them and enough tread left to make it thru this winter

I just put General Grabber ATX on my truck which are similar to the K02’s. I had the K02’s on a previous truck and didn’t get close to 60k with them but loved the traction. Opted for the Grabbers as they have similar mileage rating but were less expensive. I do notice though, they seem a little louder than the k02’s,

Stanley

I run duratrac’s on my pickup and they are great for winter traction. Agree with they pick up a lot of rocks. I run falken wildpeak at3w’s on my escape and they are also 3 peak snow rated. My pickup isn’t a DD and I don’t put many miles on it so treadwear isn’t as much a factor for me. I actually just replaced the duratracs after 7yrs and 30k miles. Could have easily gotten 20k more out of them but they were getting old and they get a little louder as they wear down.

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

I have run Duratracs for the last 7 years, just put a new set on my newer Ram. They are the best tire for traction on the market, just above the BFG KO’s. If you can’t handle some noise they are not for you but it is not bad if you can keep them from cupping. So I rotate my tires every oil change.

I know two people with these tires and they both have about 35k miles on them. They are the loudest tire on the planet. So loud that it’s almost unbearable driving. I couldn’t hear myself think.

I have Dynapro AT2’s and they’ve been a good tire.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I am a Goodyear Wrangler fan, but if I ever do switch to a less expensive tire it’ll probably be Cooper. Great reports on them.

Mike West

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar. Definitely on the more expensive end but these have been my favorite of the three types I’ve had on my truck. I have a car for daily driver and probably wouldn’t waste the money though if I was burning them up driving back and forth to work.

What I’m currently running on a 2500 and will be getting new ones soon.
    The Load E are expensive though.
    In this case, it’s been on the + side of you get what you pay for.
    Just my $.02

Krh129

Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. 7 th set on 3 different trucks.

MikeV

Michelin defender ltx

Kind of pricy but they perform great and last.

Whatever you choose, get the best you can afford. Maximize your chances if in a hazardous / dangerous driving situation.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I have close to 90k on my BF Goodrich all terrain ko2. They are noisy now and not much tread left. Will need new ones before winter.

Umy
    South Metro

I gave the Michelin’s. Not aggressive looking but great ride, grip rain or snow.

Paul D
    Roseville

Michelin Defender LTX.

Friend got Falken Wild Peak at3 for his F-150

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I put hankook dynapro at2 on my 1/2 ton this summer. So far so good.
    I run Blizzak DM-V2’s in the winter.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I ran the Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain, which is a Discout Tire exclusive with great results. Tires have a great design and are ‘winter rated’ the ones with the snowflake symbol…very few AT/MT tires have this btw.

They wore great and I had over 60% tread at 40k miles with them when I traded in my F150. I just bought a new pickup and plan to run the stock tires through this winter, but next fall the UltraTerrains are going right back on.

Here is the link https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-wrangler-ultraterrain-at/p/44196

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I’ve got 40k on my Wranglers. Really nice tires. They are getting a little noisy but only within the last month or so have I noticed the sound.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar. Definitely on the more expensive end but these have been my favorite of the three types I’ve had on my truck.

John Rasmussen advised this set of tires last fall, exactly one year ago, for my F-150. I have not experienced any issues with them since I’ve had them. I would buy them again.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.