1/12/2019

• ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Hot bite. Plain red hook. Minnow head. Jigging is working better then dead sticking and tip ups. Snow conditions not horrible for most all traffic. We went out on sleds and can go anywhere. I’m see trucks out past us and we are almost 2/3 from the center of the lake. UTV made its way near us. Closes person is the the UTV around 300yrds away. No one else fishing our same flat. Walleyes from 8”-26”. Nice steady to fast bite.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

waytogo
    Remember, no pics didn’t happen! rotflol

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

waytogo
    Remember, no pics didn’t happen! rotflol

True that. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen so many people out here. Great to see. Fishing was amazing.

Did I mention we actually caught a KEEPER?!? Fish fry!

But seriously, it’s a great bite going on. We picked a random flat that no one was fishing and had walleyes hit consistent even during day hours.

Also, shiners were sold out at two different bait shops we stopped at so if coming up, find some along the way. No body fat heads worked for jigging.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Are shiners going for a buck apiece?

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the update. Will be up there the next two coming weekends. One with my kids and then a guys weekend the following.

Mind if I ask which resort you went out of? I’ve been debating Hunters or Red Door.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Are shiners going for a buck apiece?

I didn’t catch prices but suckers were $9/doz.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Shiners are becoming a tough find any where from north of the cities to mille lacs. But rainbow chubs produce fish as well. My brother and my dad were both on a flat all weekend and said they only seen 3 people venture out. And they hammered them

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Holy buckets were there a lot of houses out there.

It was like a damn fish house parade on 169 today…like 1 in 5 vehicles was pulling s fish house. It was interesting to see all the different make and models and the occasional homemade ones.

outdoorsmn

My advice is to get bait before you get close to the lake. Both bait stores we stopped at were pretty stingy compared to my hometown bait stores. Small suckers worked best for us on the dead sticks.

I prefer to support the local Mille Lacs bait shops even if that means getting a few less fatheads in my scoop.

I’ve spent the past two weekends on the pond and both have been pretty good. Managed three keepers and had a fish fry on both trips. Three fish over 26″ and many between 19-21 inches. The place has been packed and the bite has been pretty good. I’m sure it will start to slow down soon.

Bowhuntr

I agree 100% if they want to charge $11.98 a dozen for shiners up by Mille Lacs and count them out one by one I’ll continue to support other bait stores and pick up bait prior to getting to the lake. Price gouging fisherman who want to support the local Mille Lacs bait stores will not be something I am going to support if the prices do not change. So is it better for a bait store to rip off fisherman for a dozen shiners or better for them to be out of bait? I’d prefer that they run out of bait and post when they will have more in stock, rather than gouge people who are willing to support them. Also, how often do you go into a bait store and just purchase bait? I typically purchase a new jig, pop, beer, or something else to make the stop for bait worth while. I guess that is business they will be missing out on in the future from the group of guys I go fishing with.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It’s all supply and demand. Buy bait wherever you want and stop complaining.

Bowhuntr

Lake Mille Lacs businesses shouldn’t complain about business then. applause

Supply and demand isn’t a problem anywhere else is it?? waytogo

lindyrig79

Get over it. I was in Portside this past weekend there was a line of 8 guys waiting for bait.

Do you complain about gas stations or bait stores charging $6.99 for a 1lb propane? I like Princes’s bait a lot but that’s what they were charging. Same at Holiday.

They are just trying to make a living like everyone else. Your choice where you shop, but drop the attitude

Smackem33

Wisconsin sells shiners for 4.99 doz…….. I didn’t tell you that. They can import shiners from other states stupid mn rules we can’t.

tangler
    Inactive

Complaining about the cost of bait is one thing. If you think $1/shiner is too steep then should feel free to you exercise your right not to pay that.

But don’t complain because you paid the stated price for a dozen shiners and “ONLY GOT 12.” They’re not priced by the scoop. A Dozen is a dozen, unless we’re counting donuts.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Thanks for the report Bob! Too bad it got hijacked by a bunch of whiny bait nazi’s!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I kind of expect to pay a little more up there. It’s a destination lake and they charge destination prices. Just like if you go on a destination vacation, everything is going to cost more. I just wish you could find decent sized shiners up there! And I have only encountered a few times where I HAVEN’T had my suckers or shiners counted out one at a time in the cities.

mndadandson

Two bait shops (same town on Mille Lacs).
    The more popular shop counted out the suckers (12).
    The other scooped out about 24 for a “dozen”
    Resort owner confirmed this is the way each of them operate.
    Support the local shops, but the small shop is a way better deal.
    Guess who I will using in the future?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Thanks for the report Bob! Too bad it got hijacked by a bunch of whiny bait nazi’s!

It’ll be interesting to see if this cold snap puts an end to the great bite thus far…hopefully everyone had s chance to experience it!

Greg Perz

Bite slowed way down yesterday as the temps dropped. I was out 1/11-1/15 and yesterday evening was by far the slowest. Best setup for us was a 4”-6” sucker (went thru 6 dozen) on a green/glow hook. I will be back up 1/18-1/22 so I hope it doesn’t slow down too much. We ended up with quite a few big fish but it was promising to see all of the different year classes.

Attachments:
    1. A7D7433C-D954-42C0-86DF-EEE0CDDFA37F.jpeg

2. A8B7418D-A3B4-487F-A7C3-951D58653230.jpeg

Greg Perz

A few other fish

Attachments:
    1. CB82B10E-7854-4571-85BA-5F5341E965F5.jpeg

2. 107BD8B8-07A7-4A2A-9B00-5347213648FF.jpeg

bbuchho90

Bite is dead right now, went out of Hunters. 2 fish since yesterday, fished the mud today and caught a big fat zero. Had marks, but they look and disappear. Have thrown pretty much everything but the kitchen sink at them

lindyrig79

Thanks for the honest report. Kinda what I thought would happen with the cold front, but most only seem to report if they have something good to say. Hope it picks up……

Oldstar

The weekend was very good, I also ran out of bait Sunday. I was really surprised with the barometer and conditions. But it came crashing down Monday-Tuesday. Two guys who were near me and one who was miles away all got a few fish or a skunk. I think the mid-winter slow down is here…..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.