Your fav fishing books

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

The thread posted today about the river walleye book got me thinking: THREAD HERE

What are some of your favorite old school, or even newer books written about fishing. I would like to keep it to freshwater books.

I’m as much as an internet boy as they come but there is something fun about sitting down and reading through a well written tactical fishing book. Some of the concepts in these books are under used and are incredible fish catching tactics.

If you can provide links to buy these books that would be great too. I am looking at putting together a good 20-40 book collection.

Here is a recent one I was reading that I enjoyed: BOOK

Side note, if anyone wants to sell me some fishing books they no longer read or don’t want, I would love to buy a bunch.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think i have the complete set of those books you linked.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

The freshwater angler books? I know they did them on almost every species too. @dutchboy do you want to sell them?! ) Otherwise I will probably piece the set together on thriftbooks dot com!

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Buck Perry’s Spoonplugging. Turk recommended it to me 15 years ago. An absolute must read in my opinion. waytogo

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Beneath the Surface by Bruce Carlson is a great read, though not strictly a fishing book. It’s all about ten mile lake in cass county. Combines natural history, biology, fishing tips, etc. Really an interesting look at how the lake ecosystem functions, from plants to insects and forage to game fish, birds, beavers, etc.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Added both of those to the list! Thanks boys!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The freshwater angler books? I know they did them on almost every species too. @dutchboy do you want to sell them?! ) Otherwise I will probably piece the set together on thriftbooks dot com!

Evan, i don’t think i would want to sell them. However i would certainly borrow them to you if you wanted to read them.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pool2fool wrote:</div>
    Beneath the Surface

Looks like a must read )

Hahahah. Obviously that title has been overused. The one I’m talking about is by Bruce Carlson and was published by MN Historical Society Press.

Attachments:
    1. 583743BB-7C47-4E7B-8A1B-C1EB40527A53.jpeg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well then you’d probably be sick to learn I ended up giving almost an entire set to Goodwill little over a year ago when I moved. They were the same books that North American Fishing Club put out, they’d send you one every other month. Didn’t think anyone wanted books anymore. ???

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Didn’t think anyone wanted books anymore.

With a few exceptions, they don’t. I used to work in publishing and the last couple years were not fun.

zooks

“How to Win the Walleye Game” by Jeff Murray and Mike McClelland. My grandpa used to hire McClelland and Propst as guides out in Pierre back in the 80’s and got to know Mike reasonably well. I still have my signed copy of the book in the basement, just ran across it a couple weeks ago.

And for those who don’t know who Bob Propst was, here’s a nice article. He was legendary for guiding and tourney fishing out of his pontoon.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-03-25/sports/9001250516_1_walleye-fishing-south-dakota-shoes

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do old IDO threads count, that’s where I do most of my fishing reading… whistling

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

River Fishing – A Happy World by Dan Gapen. The original river master. Not for the techie fisherman, lots of lore…and common sense (remember that?)

milemark_714

Lunkers love nightcrawlers,from Fishing Facts way back in the days.Applied to more than just bass.Brown trout and steelhead also loved them.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

If you want to add some muskie books I have some titles for you. I just don’t remember them off hand and would have to dig them out to tell you.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Gapen.com

Great thread, I’ll be ordering more than a few books off Gapen website.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They were the same books that North American Fishing Club put out…

Way back I work for the NAOG, back before the Burke family sold it. I had a nice library of damaged books. I also had to hand wash and detail Steve Pennaz’s truck every Wednesday.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If you’re interested in why instead of how:

The Longest Silence by Thomas McGaune. Brilliant. Hauntingly beautiful.

The Compleat Angler by Issiac Walton. No introduction should be necessary.

A River Runs Through It by Norman McLean. Transcendent.

Grouse

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Way back I work for the NAOG, back before the Burke family sold it. I had a nice library of damaged books. I also had to hand wash and detail Steve Pennaz’s truck every Wednesday.

Two coats of wax, Pug!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

River Fishing – A Happy World by Dan Gapen. The original river master. Not for the techie fisherman, lots of lore…and common sense (remember that?)

These type of books can captivate me more than the strictly technical “how-to” readings. I have and still do have a library of “how-to” books but my favorites are the old previous generation of fishing personalities that were big names in the angling world. My interests are more on history and lore. Dan Gapen is certainly one of them and I still remember having some Gapen fishing tackle back in the mid 1970’s. I still have some today!

Gapen.com

Great thread, I’ll be ordering more than a few books off Gapen website.

I have found it too and will be placing orders also.

Perhaps my favorite book however is penned by Joe Fellegy. He earned a degree in Literature at St. Johns University and ended up spending his life as a fishing guide operating a launch boat on Mille Lacs for over 30 years. He does get somewhat technical in his book, but for the most part he employs his literary skills to tell stories of his “character” clients, spins history and lore about the evolving walleye fishery of Mille Lacs lake, the old salt pioneers and does not neglect sprinkling his sense for humor throughout the book. Highly recommended for fireside reading. bow

Attachments:
    1. Fellegy.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If you’re interested in why instead of how:

The Longest Silence by Thomas McGaune. Brilliant. Hauntingly beautiful.

The Compleat Angler by Issiac Walton. No introduction should be necessary.

A River Runs Through It by Norman McLean. Transcendent.

Grouse

Great recommendations Grouse. This one I have read. Looking up The Longest Silence by Thomas McGaune now!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.